Vigo, Spain: What is best thing to do?

psygist

I'm interested in recommendations for how to spend the day in the port of Vigo, Spain. I prefer touring independently, if this is a good way to spend the day.

Best to stay in town or visit a site outside of town?

Is it best to stay in town and explore independently, or take an organized shore excursion to some other location?

Thanks!

My husband and I wandered around Vigo on our own. We did not know what to expect as there was so little information available about Vigo in the guidebooks. We were very pleasantly surprised by Vigo. It is quite a big city, but with a friendly small-town flavor. We walked from the ship up to a wonderful pedestrian shopping street called Calle de Principe. The architecture is absolutely gorgeous! We also went into the nearby park and climbed a hill to the top (a very easy walk) and had a great view of the harbor. There is a castle located near the top of the park. I just looked at a Google map and it says the park is Parque Charlie Rivel. As I recall, there was a tourist office just as we left the ship and we got a map there. For lunch we found a cute little restaurant and sat outside eating tapas and drinking Sangria. Near the ship is an area with lots of seafood restaurants. There are many twisting streets and around every turn was something interesting to see. It was a fun day on our own exploring an undiscovered jewel of a town. Vigo was a highlight of our cruise.

Best to stay in town or visit a site outside of town?
Top tip: Santiago de Compostela. Most threads about this city are in the British Isles/Western Europe forum.

Don't feel constrained to go on a ship's excursion. It's not difficult to rent a car and drive there yourself. That's how I've done it, both times that I've been.

Top tip: Santiago de Compostela. Most threads about this city are in the British Isles/Western Europe forum.

Don't feel constrained to go on a ship's excursion. It's not difficult to rent a car and drive there yourself. That's how I've done it, both times that I've been.

That is interesting - never thought of hiring a car. Can you give any more details about where you hired it/how you went about the process? Thanks

Can you give any more details about where you hired it/how you went about the process?
I just booked it on the internet, on the company's own website, just like for any other car rental.

I've not actually done this from Vigo, but I have done it twice from La Coruna: once with Hertz, once with Avis.

On the last trip, I did actually make a booking at Vigo as well, because there was an (erroneous) suggestion that we were being diverted to Vigo rather than the scheduled call at La Coruna. But in the end, we went to La Coruna as scheduled. The two ports are almost exactly the same distance from Santiago de Compostela, and on the same (easy to drive on) road - just in opposite directions.

If Santiago de Compostela interests you Globaliser is quite right it is easy and more econamical to do on your own but I would allow a whole day because eit can take up to 2 hours travelling each way although it can be done in less. last year we did the beach in the morning. A perfect beach with a lovely promenade to walk along and we caught the bus from the port right to the beach and back. In the afternoon we got the free bus up town. Free because it takes you to a massive departmental store, not sure if it was four or five floors, but you could easlily spend a few hours there. Of course it is free because it stops right outside the door and picks you up from there again. All depends what your fancy is. We along with many others on our cuise thought it was the best shopping port they had ben to out of all the ports we did in the western med. Whatever you decide it has to be of interest to you. Some people would say Santiago is not to be missed and the next person will say the town and the beach is not to be missed. it was our last port so we did not want to travel much.

I am not sure at the moment what we will do. We have two children and visited Vigo last year on the Navigator. We had a good walk around and went to the big department store, but don't really want to do that again. We are not that keen on ships tours. Perhaps the beach would be better - do you remember any details of the bus you caught/name of the beach. I always do lots of research before we travel but really struggled with Vigo last year. All help gratefully received!

I am not sure at the moment what we will do. We have two children and visited Vigo last year on the Navigator. We had a good walk around and went to the big department store, but don't really want to do that again. We are not that keen on ships tours. Perhaps the beach would be better - do you remember any details of the bus you caught/name of the beach. I always do lots of research before we travel but really struggled with Vigo last year. All help gratefully received!

Try taking the local hydrofoil across the bay to some islands. Many locals escape there to a campsite, nature walk and beach. The kiosk for buying inexpensive tickets, is close to the ship. We went there and had alovely time.

Samil Beach was the name of the beach and you catch the bus right at the port before you head up to town. I think but I am not sure that the bus was a number 10 but there was an official at the bus stop as it is like a terminal and he told me the number. It took about 20/25 minutes and the fare was very cheap.

Many thanks for all the suggestions. We would love to visit the islands (Cies?) but last year when I looked the timings were too risky for getting back to ship. Perhaps it will be different this year. We would like to go to Santiago but will wait until the ships tour prices/itineraries are out before making any decisions. Samil beach sounds great so at least we have a few options. Thanks again!

From last years cruise

"Vigo - The Port we'll remember the most !! ( cruise ship was docked in a different part of the port due to the Spainish PM in town )

After walking up through the old town and looking at the old church - we decided just to walk through town.

Walking across the road to look in a shop we noticed a deli/tapas bar and ended up coming out 1.5hrs later - having met the shipping agent + pilot ordering wine to be shipped to home - downing a bottle of wine and plate of tapas and feeling like we were one of the locals - we walked into the deli just to buy something to bring home, then i noticed they had to tables and about 6 bars stools.

As we sat down i noticed an older man looking at us then he said cheers to us - i spoke back to him and it turned out he was the shipping agent for the cruise ship - anyway we order a plate of tapas and 2 glasses wine, when they arrived the lady said the older man ( Alberto ) had bought us the wine ( now how nice was that )

Before we knew the bottle was gone and the plate was empty lol - Alberto had bid farewell to us and i paid the bill another shipping agent had asked the lady who we were lol - so then he spoke to me and explained he had lived in Dublin and number of years. After that we decided to buy something to bring home - i noticed a lot of nice wine so i asked as best i could did they ship to the UK - the lady didn't understand, so she asked the shipping pilot who then helped us out - picking the best price wine and arranging the shipping and exchanging email addresses as we left the usual kisses on both cheeks for my wife and i.

The name of the place is Casa Samaniego !!"

jj.....

• 4 weeks later...
Many thanks for all the suggestions. We would love to visit the islands (Cies?) but last year when I looked the timings were too risky for getting back to ship. Perhaps it will be different this year. We would like to go to Santiago but will wait until the ships tour prices/itineraries are out before making any decisions. Samil beach sounds great so at least we have a few options. Thanks again!

Hi,

I live in Vigo with my wife and two small boys, we often go down for a stroll along playa Samil, it's a lovely walk especially for kids and beautiful views out towards the islands. Also, I've checked timing for the boats out to the islands for this year and yes they do look a bit risky! Check out my blog it's not a commercial site, I only give my views and information about Vigo, it's only just started but you might find something useful for you!

www.viewonvigo.blogspot.com

Saludos

Brendan

Hi,

I live in Vigo with my wife and two small boys, we often go down for a stroll along playa Samil, it's a lovely walk especially for kids and beautiful views out towards the islands. Also, I've checked timing for the boats out to the islands for this year and yes they do look a bit risky! Check out my blog it's not a commercial site, I only give my views and information about Vigo, it's only just started but you might find something useful for you!

Saludos

Brendan

Loved your blog - it's great! We are now wondering about trying to hire a taxi to take us to Santiago (or we may need a small mini van as there could be 7 of us altogether). Any ideas about local companies/likely costs for a trip to Santiago? Many thanks.

Loved your blog - it's great! We are now wondering about trying to hire a taxi to take us to Santiago (or we may need a small mini van as there could be 7 of us altogether). Any ideas about local companies/likely costs for a trip to Santiago? Many thanks.

Hi Kruzgal,

Many thanks for your compliment!

Santiago is approx 85km from Vigo and by car takes around 1hour on the motorway (toll charges apply)

You could take a taxi but you'd probably need to take two as they're normally just your standard car, cost would be anywhere from €40-70pp but it really depends on the driver.

Another option is to hire a car, 7 seater people carriers are available from Hertz and they're located very close to the port, expect to pay €235.00 for one day hire, plus fuel and toll charges on the motorway. If you hire a car just be wary of the day and time your picking up and dropping off, you have to allow for long Spanish lunches and early closing times on Saturdays and Sundays.

Another option is with Galicia Mystic Tours, they do one day tours to Santiago http://www.toursofgalicia.net/santiago.html it’s run by a Galician and a Canadian couple, have only heard good things about them. Don’t know about price but check out there website.

Any other questions you might have, I'd be happy to help!

Saludos

Brendan

Vigoboy Hi we are 4 adults that will be docking in Vigo the beginning of May any suggestions for the day. We are looking at touring privately we are sick of being herded in on the big buses. Any & all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hola Dutchess43,

I sympathise with you regarding the herds!

There are many options available. As I've mentioned to Kruzgal, there is a local private tour company see them at www.toursofgalicia.net . My recommendations would be if you haven't seen Santiago it's well worth a visit and is a UNESCO world heritage site.

Pontevedra is another lovely town with a beautiful historic quarter and only 30km north of Vigo takes only 20mins by car.

The town of Tui down on the border with Portugal is another lovely stop and overlooks the Minho river to the Fortress town of Valenca in Portugal again only 35km south of Vigo approx 30min by car.

Another place is the seaside town of Baiona, where Christopher Columbus arrived and gave the first news that he had found the Americas.

Don't forget Vigo though, it has a charcter all of it's own, a 16th century historic quarter. Beautiful late 19th and early 20th century architecture all built during the time of mass imigration to the Americas. Not forgeting the oyster ladies of the Casco Vello. Take in the stunning views of Vigo and the bay from the top of a 16th century fortress. All this and a whole lot more, a mere stones throw from where the cruise docks!

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Saludos

Brendan

Hi Kruzgal,

Many thanks for your compliment!

Santiago is approx 85km from Vigo and by car takes around 1hour on the motorway (toll charges apply)

You could take a taxi but you'd probably need to take two as they're normally just your standard car, cost would be anywhere from €40-70pp but it really depends on the driver.

Another option is to hire a car, 7 seater people carriers are available from Hertz and they're located very close to the port, expect to pay €235.00 for one day hire, plus fuel and toll charges on the motorway. If you hire a car just be wary of the day and time your picking up and dropping off, you have to allow for long Spanish lunches and early closing times on Saturdays and Sundays.

Another option is with Galicia Mystic Tours, they do one day tours to Santiago http://www.toursofgalicia.net/santiago.html it’s run by a Galician and a Canadian couple, have only heard good things about them. Don’t know about price but check out there website.

Any other questions you might have, I'd be happy to help!

Saludos

Brendan

Many thanks for your help - it is great! We were in Vigo last year on the Navigator of the Seas so we do know our way around a bit. How far is it to Hertz? Is it walking distance from the port? We would love to get to Santiago but hate organised tours so think this might be the best way. Thanks again for your help.

Many thanks for your help - it is great! We were in Vigo last year on the Navigator of the Seas so we do know our way around a bit. How far is it to Hertz? Is it walking distance from the port? We would love to get to Santiago but hate organised tours so think this might be the best way. Thanks again for your help.

Hi,

Hertz is located in:

104 Calle de Concepción Arenal

36201, Vigo

Spain

Put the above address into Google maps to see exactly where it is.

Approx 500m from where the cruise docks.

Here are the opening times:

Mo-Fr 0900-1300 1600-1900, Sa 0900-1300, Su closed

Saludos

Brendan

• 3 months later...

Hello - We just returned from a May 19th Brilliance cruise, which stopped at Vigo. Vigo is definitely not a town to spend your day in. Either plan an excursion on your own, or take a ship's excursion. There's nothing to see or do in town.

If you're looking for something a little different to do - book a sailing charter. I found 2 other couples to join me and my DH here on Cruise Critic, and sharing the cost made this a relatively inexpensive day. We booked through Julio at www.quechebahia.com. The planned day was for Julio to sail us and his 38' sailboat down to Bayona, which takes about 2 hours, explore Bayona and have lunch, then sail back to Vigo. However, on our day, there was very little wind. Julio had brought the sailboat up, so that we boarded only steps away from the cruiseship. We sailed around the bay, and Julio picked a local restaurant for lunch. The restaurant specialized in fresh seafood and paella, and since we had been watching the mussels being harvested in the bay during our sailing, then seafood it was. Everyone in our group agreed we were served the best calamari we've ever had!

Julio (the captain) spoke very little English, but had brought a first mate along who spoke English well. He was a fabulous captain, funny and entertaining the whole time. The sailboat easily accomodates 6 people, and has a downstairs area with couches and a bathroom. Only people who can get around easily should book, as getting on and off the boat requires some agility. Also, the downstairs area is accessed by a ladder. The cost was about 300 Euro (plus lunch) for everybody.

Even without wind and missing out on Bayona, the sailing trip turned out to be a very relaxing day. We arrived back in Vigo in time to walk around the city a little, but there was very little to see.

If you looking for something a little different, I highly recommend Julio. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at denise_rocus @ yahoo. Oh, by the way, we were there in May, so it was too cool to get in the water, but Julio also specializes in diving trips if you're interested in that. He told us that there are ships that were sank in the battle between the English and the Spanish Armada in the bay, anywhere from 10' to 60' in depth.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Saludos

Brendan

Brendan,

My DH and I are taking a cruise and our second port is Vigo Spain. I have tried w/o any luck to find a Catholic Church in Vigo. I have Googled and looked at your web site but I have not found one. Can you please help me? We want to go to Mass the day we are in Vigo and need a church that is relatively close to the port as we will be walking. Could you help with the name and Mass times. Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you,

http://carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=LON&groupInd=&itinCode=EUK&shipCode=SL&durDays=12&subRegionCode=E

If you decide yourself for Santiago, my hometown you would love it. There are 88 kms, motorway and a railway link. You could rent a car, try to arrange a private tour, or even try to agree fares with local taxi drivers. Try to get it for about 120 euros return (with a couple of hours wait over here). You won´t see much, but at least you would have a glimpse of it.

Just image yourself. Going back to the medieval times. Compact and scenic old town packed with palaces, chuches, old alleys, monuments, and a lively atmposphere.

Train. Well, the station lies about 20 minutes walking up. So in case you want to see some of the modenist buildings of Vigo, walk up along the shopping centre pedestrial ramp, cross the Concatedral square to Garcia Barbon. Go along the main shopping street called Principe, up again and then left. Or you could get a cab to the station. Just five minutes.

There are trains every 30 minutes, and the journey takes too long for it. 90 minutes. Then you get to Santiago Train Station. A cab, or simply walk for ten minutes. The city is small so just walking.

http://www.santiagoturismo.com/index.asp?

http://www.santiagoturismo.com/enimagenes/videos/

Don´t miss this last promotional video of the city. For train schudeles

http://www.renfe.es

In case you need extra help, don´t hesitate in asking.

Brendan,

My DH and I are taking a cruise and our second port is Vigo Spain. I have tried w/o any luck to find a Catholic Church in Vigo. I have Googled and looked at your web site but I have not found one. Can you please help me? We want to go to Mass the day we are in Vigo and need a church that is relatively close to the port as we will be walking. Could you help with the name and Mass times. Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you,

http://carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=LON&groupInd=&itinCode=EUK&shipCode=SL&durDays=12&subRegionCode=E

Oh sorry, I hadn´t seen this before. Just in the port, get through the pedestrian ramp which crosses the port shopping centre. The little catedral is on the left just few meters up the port. Or alternatively go up to Garcia Barbon, and turn left. At the end on the right, you could find Santiago Church, one of the biggest in Vigo.

Oh sorry, I hadn´t seen this before. Just in the port, get through the pedestrian ramp which crosses the port shopping centre. The little catedral is on the left just few meters up the port. Or alternatively go up to Garcia Barbon, and turn left. At the end on the right, you could find Santiago Church, one of the biggest in Vigo.

Thank you Brendon, it is just what I was looking for. Looking forward to this trip so much.

The views of the countryside and thte coast are just excelent. Other alternative could be Pontevedra (only 30 minutes). It´s called "the little Santiago". Not as amazing but a nice alternative for those who had previously been in Santiago.

It´s the first stop on the same train line. In case someone decides to rent a car, it´s just 50 minutes (santiago) by motorway. A nice shopping excursion to Portugal (fortress of Valenca do Mihno) and only 30 minutes is just delightfull. A fortified city, old and quaint overlooking Spain.

And as you come back, on the Spanish side, don´t miss the medieval town of TUY, with the old castle and cathedral. Lovely indeed. In case you are interested in old ancient celtic settlements, La Guardia and Santa Tecla is a nice viewing place over the Atlantic and the coast.

So many places with a car.