Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Canada

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Victoria Pub Tour

Has anyone down this tour? We are going on Star Princess and this is one of the excursions offered by the ship. Any info would be appreciated.

Explorer 2002/ Diamond Princess 2004/ Majesty 2004/ Monarch 2005/ Summit 2005/ Radiance 2006/ Majesty 2007/ Mariner 2008/ Star Princess 2008/ Independence 2008/ Majesty 2009/ Mariner 2009/ Radiance 2010/ Solstice 2010/ Allure 2011/ Golden Princess 2011/ Freedom 2012/ Allure 2013/ Disney Dream 2013/ Disney Dream 2014/ Freedom 2014/ Ruby Princess 2015/ Anthem of the Seas 2016

Old February 10th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by phtktz3 View Post
Has anyone down this tour? We are going on Star Princess and this is one of the excursions offered by the ship. Any info would be appreciated.
Victoria has GREAT beer, amazing fabulous beer (I know I lived there for 25 years). I live in Vancouver now and the beer culture is nowhere near what Victoria has to offer.

But do the tour yourself. There are a number of great pubs/microbreweries in Victoria, and really not that far to walk. If you're wanting to make a nice walk of it;

#1) Sticky Wicket; local pub downtown
Walk to the Sticky Wicket in the 800 block of Douglas st. Grab a bite. They don't have a brewery on site, but have very good food. If you dont want to eat here, try crossing the street and visit "the Noodle Box" for lunch.
If you can't make it this far from the dock w/o a beer, you also walk right past the James Bay Inn at the corner of Government & Toronto St on the way.

#2) to Swans;
Swans Pub/Buckerfields Brewery; nice on-site brewery, I'm particularly fond of the Appleton Brown (if they're serving it that day). The previous owner died a few years back and actually willed the pub to the local university!!

#3) to Vancouver Island Brewery;
This is worth the visit and they offer full tours. Corner of Government St and Bay St. I'm a big fan of 'Hermans Dark Lager' (if you're looking for something interesting to try at the Sticky W, this would be a good choice)

#4) to Spinnikers;
Ground Zero for beer in Western Canada. Everything is great here, I highly recommend their IPA and Michells ESB. Food is good too, and a nive view of the harbour.

#5) And sadly back to the ship.
You can either cab it from here, take the harbour ferry across the harbour ($2), or a combination of both.
Google Map of proposed route

Most decent/craft beer by the pint will be in the C$5-6 range, lunch should be no more than $12, and a cab from spinny's back to the dock maybe another $10-12. So about 1/2 the price of doing it with the ship. Also you could do the loop the other way, immediately grabbing a cab off the ship to go to Spinny's.

Other notable beer things in Victoria;
1) Philips Brewing (phillipsbeer.com) Small Victoria based brewery with some real gems in their portfolio. Blue Buck (formerly Blue Truck), their Espresso Stout, Double Chocolate Porter MMmmmm. Available in good liquor stores. Also a good choice for something to try at the Wicket. My vote as Victoria's best brewery (but not as large as VI, and don't offer tours).

2) Lighthouse Brewing. http://www.lighthousebrewing.com/ Another local brewery.

Last edited by giblert; February 10th, 2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Add Map

Old February 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow! Thank you so much I am printing out your suggestions and will most likely follow them to a T!

Explorer 2002/ Diamond Princess 2004/ Majesty 2004/ Monarch 2005/ Summit 2005/ Radiance 2006/ Majesty 2007/ Mariner 2008/ Star Princess 2008/ Independence 2008/ Majesty 2009/ Mariner 2009/ Radiance 2010/ Solstice 2010/ Allure 2011/ Golden Princess 2011/ Freedom 2012/ Allure 2013/ Disney Dream 2013/ Disney Dream 2014/ Freedom 2014/ Ruby Princess 2015/ Anthem of the Seas 2016

Old March 27th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Nice to get -

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblert View Post
Victoria has GREAT beer, amazing fabulous beer (I know I lived there for 25 years). I live in Vancouver now and the beer culture is nowhere near what Victoria has to offer.

But do the tour yourself. There are a number of great pubs/microbreweries in Victoria, and really not that far to walk. If you're wanting to make a nice walk of it;

#1) Sticky Wicket; local pub downtown
Walk to the Sticky Wicket in the 800 block of Douglas st. Grab a bite. They don't have a brewery on site, but have very good food. If you dont want to eat here, try crossing the street and visit "the Noodle Box" for lunch.
If you can't make it this far from the dock w/o a beer, you also walk right past the James Bay Inn at the corner of Government & Toronto St on the way.

#2) to Swans;
Swans Pub/Buckerfields Brewery; nice on-site brewery, I'm particularly fond of the Appleton Brown (if they're serving it that day). The previous owner died a few years back and actually willed the pub to the local university!!

#3) to Vancouver Island Brewery;
This is worth the visit and they offer full tours. Corner of Government St and Bay St. I'm a big fan of 'Hermans Dark Lager' (if you're looking for something interesting to try at the Sticky W, this would be a good choice)

#4) to Spinnikers;
Ground Zero for beer in Western Canada. Everything is great here, I highly recommend their IPA and Michells ESB. Food is good too, and a nive view of the harbour.

#5) And sadly back to the ship.
You can either cab it from here, take the harbour ferry across the harbour ($2), or a combination of both.
Google Map of proposed route

Most decent/craft beer by the pint will be in the C$5-6 range, lunch should be no more than $12, and a cab from spinny's back to the dock maybe another $10-12. So about 1/2 the price of doing it with the ship. Also you could do the loop the other way, immediately grabbing a cab off the ship to go to Spinny's.

Other notable beer things in Victoria;
1) Philips Brewing (phillipsbeer.com) Small Victoria based brewery with some real gems in their portfolio. Blue Buck (formerly Blue Truck), their Espresso Stout, Double Chocolate Porter MMmmmm. Available in good liquor stores. Also a good choice for something to try at the Wicket. My vote as Victoria's best brewery (but not as large as VI, and don't offer tours).

2) Lighthouse Brewing. http://www.lighthousebrewing.com/ Another local brewery.
Expert advise! How are you and Marie doing? We'll be in Victoria again on October 8th so have already printed your list!

Big Red Boat * Nordic Prince * Ms Carousel * Dawn Princess * Century * Fascination * Horizon * Grand Princess * Galaxy * MSC Opera * Mercury Transatlantic * Constellation * Noordam * Splendour of the Seas * Constellation Transatlantic *Sensation * Imagination * Fascination* Reflection Inaugural TA * Upcoming NCL Jewel Under the Golden Gate.

Old March 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM
20,000+ Club

There is also Hugo's Brewhouse in the Magnolia Hotel at 625 Courtenay St. it is new on the block by Victoria standards but worth a visit. I believe it is owned by the Olson family who also own the Sticky Wicket and the Strathconna Hotel.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old March 27th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pubs.

Good advice. You could also try the Canoe Brewpub which is in an old warehouse close to Swans. They brew their own beer also & like Swans, you can get a taster with small samples of all the beers. Swans & the Canoe are good for food, as is Spinnakers although it is quite expensive now. Spinnakers is pure West Coast Brewpub history. Start or finish there & take the water taxi. It is a special trip in itself.

I think that the Lighthouse ales are among the best (as well as Spinnakers). The Sticky Wicket (IMHO) is OK but has more of a 'chain' feel to it & less of the 'real' pub feel. The Penny Farthing out at Oak Bay & the Smugglers' Cove at Cadboro Bay are also good pubs.

Enjoy. Oh & by the way, don't miss your ship!!!

Graham.