Day pass for Moorea Hilton or Sofitel?

gardenMaui

I just returned on the 1/21 sailing and did the day pass at the IC. I really wasn't impressed with the property. I think if I returned I would go to the Hilton, or take the trip out to the Sofitel.

Just didn't have any charm, and the food wasn't good at all-- plus they had stupid towel cards, and no service at the pool or beach. The lagoon area in front of the Bungalows is nice, but the beach area is overrun by a marina with many boats. I was invited by the sales team, as I work in the travel industry, so I didn't pay for this-- but, I still would have preferred to go elsewhere. :(

I stayed several times at the IC. Food was always good. Pool bar was open to swim up to, don't recall bar 'service' on the beach or at tables around the pool but the bar pool bar was open. There are 2 pools. Remember you can always bring a 'beach' towel from the PG as well as one from the IC. There is over 1500 lineal feet of sandy beach area on this property. Around the lagoon area there are shade covers, hammocks and shade trees with hardly a person in site, very quiet. Then you have the turtle sanctuary and the Dolphin Quest area. I would agree that the 'main' beach area can get a bit busy with many people as well as the activity from the marina ...... but fortunately this property has many other places to relax, you just need to find your 'perfect' area.

Won't down play another persons take, it is their story, just saying from staying at this property many times (probably well over 10 days total) and visiting it every time we are on Moorea (over a dozen times) we've learned where to go around this property and what is the 'norm', I consistently rate the snorkeling at this resort as the 3rd best out of the big 4.

We've also stayed at the Hilton, one time for 7 days straight plus we visit every time we are on Moorea. Nice property, but the amenities are not close to what the IC offers. The beach though nice is very small. The single pool is nice but not bear as nice as either pool at the IC. What the Hilton does have is the best snorkeling among the big 4 beach front resorts and if you stay there over night the crepes bar is fun (only open at night).

I've also stayed at the Sofitel, in fact we spent our 7 night honeymoon at the Sofitel. Expensive property with a very nice/long beach with shade that is close to the water. The pool is very small compared to the IC pool area. The garden area is nice and the food was fine. The view of Tahiti across the Sea of the Moon is beautiful. Has the 2nd best snorkeling of the big 4 beach front resorts.

I've said this about these 3 resorts consistently over the last 10 years. You will find my take on the big 4 many times in the history of this forum, always say the same thing and I verify it by visiting each resort usually every year.

Sorry if someone else didn't see what is the 'norm' ...

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

I stayed several times at the IC. Food was always good. Pool bar was open to swim up to, don't recall bar 'service' on the beach or at tables around the pool but the bar pool bar was open. There are 2 pools. Remember you can always bring a 'beach' towel from the PG as well as one from the IC. There is over 1500 lineal feet of sandy beach are on the property. Around the lagoon area there are shade covers, hammocks and shade trees with hardly a person in site. Then you have the turtle sanctuary and the Dolphin Quest area. I would agree the 'main' beach area can get a bit busy with people as well as the activity from the marina ...... but fortunately this property has many other places to relax, you just need to find your 'perfect' area.

Won't down play another persons take, it is their story. Just saying from staying at this property many times (probably well over 10 days total) and visiting it every time we are on Moorea (over a dozen times) we've learned where to go around this property and what is the 'norm',

We've also stayed at the Hilton, one time for 7 days straight plus we visit every time we are on Moorea. Nice property, but the amenities are not close to what the IC offers. The beach though nice is small. The single pool is nice but not as nice as either pool at the IC. What the Hilton does have is the best snorkeling among the big 4 beach front resorts.

I've also stayed at the Sofitel, in fact we spent our honeymoon at the Sofitel. Expensive property with a very nice beach with shade that is close to the water. The pool is very small compared to the IC pool area. The garden area is nice and the food was fine. The view of Tahiti across the Sea of the Moon is beautiful. Has the 2nd best snorkeling of the big 4 beach front resorts.

I've said this about these 3 resorts consistently over the last 10 years. You will find my take on the big 4 many times in the history of this forum, always say the same thing and I verify it by visiting each resort usually every year.

Sorry if someone else didn't see what is the 'norm' ...

Great reviews, thank you very much!

I dug around a bit and found a few more pictures of the IC Moorea ...

Picture of the pools and part of the main beach area at the IC Moorea

i-XJgKCdJ-XL.jpg

Had to crop in to get a good peek but this is the pool bar ...... looks open to me. There is a walk up area and a place to sit in the water while you order.

i-DX34Kfq-XL.jpg

Crowded beach area around the lagoon ....

i-2PbGkZq-XL.jpg

Resort Map - from a few years ago but basically very similar

i-PKq4p2j-XL.jpg

• 2 years later...

If I were to spend a day in Moorea, I would not choose to spend it in one of the hotels.  Especially since your floating hotel, Journey, has almost everything to offer that the IC does, and is already paid for. Some think Bora Bora is the most beautiful place on the planet, and I never correct them since I don't want them to overrun Moorea, which really is the most beautiful place on the planet. Despite this being the Paul Gauguin board, not the Azamara one, I'm sure that many here will be pleased to offer some advice of things to do in Moorea if you're interested.  That includes me.  Just let us know.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

I agree with David that seeing more of Moorea versus just spending the day at a hotel is what you should do. We cruised last fall on Azamara in Europe, but spent 7 days on Paul Gauguin last month.  You need to see the Belvedere lookout, you need to see the scenery on the island. Take a snorkel excursion - you can swim/stand with stingrays and reef sharks in shallow water and see hundreds (thousands?) of beautiful fish. So many activities other than just sitting on a beach or going to a hotel. French Polynesia is a beautiful place - we love Hawaii and go often, but Moorea and Bora Bora are more beautiful and more unspoiled.

20190614_Tahiti_5852.thumb.jpg.b9ed86c933dd78a2b034ab1abe9eb1f5.jpg

20190616_Tahiti_6299.thumb.jpg.dc51dfdaf44c5767433845110edd3daa.jpg

20190614_Tahiti_6140029.thumb.jpg.61a84098e18b93493c4962567029c2c3.jpg

Edited by JIMinNC
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with the suggestions, all good advise but  .... if enjoying a resort is what floats your boat there is nothing wrong with the IC  .... many things to do other than lay there. All of these pictures were taken at the IC  ....

767247688_Z-IMG_2956hdr-1.jpg.e95755cda8ae17a254f08a0b606e5c9d.jpg

69134354_ICMoorea(11of12)4.jpg.a350ae88a3461b059d69a12f06bc6e24.jpg

1164280010_southpacific021417instagram(8of9)2.jpg.5f96b22410567ca324e5e3cc04075112.jpg

919837494_ICMoorea(4of12)5.jpg.724cd71eb06a77c8d4165f14cd83c13d.jpg

1328318180_IC2009(6of6)2.thumb.jpg.d025b2c402871902e36f02c6b6a86e70.jpg

1141527675_Moorea(3of3)3.jpg.6b1bdeb92e2c7b0cc34d29fc3cc69757.jpg

1922343255_turtle(1of1)2.jpg.15ea0852a73dc1381efaf19af5e1c409.jpg

733600438_pearlsinstagram(1of1)2.jpg.a96e53bc9264a7fc6761605765d11a8d.jpg

IC Moorea 2004 (1 of 1)2.jpg

_DSC1940-1.thumb.jpg.01b83d683abae2c845c6331c008f71b5.jpg

We’re spending a week on the island after the cruise, and have spent time here three times previously; just looking for a way to spend the day while there with the ship

***I also posted this topic in the Pacific Islands category.

What are your other choices, and is there an added cost? You've already seen many of the things to see on Moorea if you've had previous 3 visits, and since you're spending a week there after the cruise, you have a chance to see everything there is to see on Moorea. Is there an excursion offered by Azamara that will be more convenient to take from the ship than from your week post cruise?

On Paul Gauguin, they have an excursion that stops for a brief visit to the sharks and rays just to the East of the IC, and then heads to the eastern most of the 2 motus just past where the Club Med used to be. The area between the 2 motus has a lot of fish to see while snorkeling, and the excursion provided a great meal (and there's a restroom on the motu).

Back in 1995, we spent a week at what was then the Beachcomber Park Royal, and what is now the Intercontinental, in an Overwater bungalow. It was a once in a lifetime trip for us, but a few years ago, we needed to go back to French Polynesia. In September, we're doing the day at the beach at the IC as our Moorea excursion. We want to see the recent renovations there, and we really feel like we've already seen everything there is to see on Moorea.

Since the Paul Gauguin is owned by the same company as Intercontinental Hotels, staying at their hotels are not overpriced. If staying as an excursion from another cruise line, you may pay more.