Okinawa port

plumstead

hello

Can anyone tell me what port we will dock in at Okinawa. My husband wants to visit the aquarium but does not want to go on excusion for a day just to see the fish etc, so could someone tell us how far from port, do we need to get a taxi bus or can you walk ?

Thank you.

You will dock at the port of Naha which is about 50 miles (80km) from the Okinawa aquarium so some form of transportation will be needed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=322824&d=1408712625

Wife stayed at Doubletree in Naha last year. Said area was fairly industrial, not much going on

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know about the port and ease of transportation around Port. My wife and I tend to get out on our own and I'm having trouble finding details about each port of call. If it were Europe or the Caribbean there is a ton of information, but not so much for Asian cruise ports.

Can we walk or is there easy transportation out of the port area?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have just returned from Okinowa on a cruise, no shuttle bus if you are with R.C. people we met walked into the town it was a very hot day and it took them 1 and a quarter hours. We did a shore excursion to the shuri castle not very interesting, some gardens with no flowers and a lake with lots of algea on it and the memorial gardens.

My husband said he wished he had gone to the war museum.

He wanted to see the aquarium, he booked a shore excursion but had to visit the shri castle again he stayed on the coach, the drive to the aquarium took about 2 hours, but he said it was very good. If you want to do it on your own public transport is hit and miss, taxis are expensive we found this out on forum.

Hope this is helpful !!

We were also in Okinawa last week on Voyager of the Seas.

We took a cab from the port to Shurijo Castle, 1280 yen.

The castle was interesting and we also had afternoon tea there for 310 yen each.

We then walked down to the monorail station and took it to Kokusaidori Street. It was easy to buy tickets as the machines have an English option and there are also announcements on the train in English..

Kokusaidori Street was full of shops selling lots of weird and wonderful trinkets and souvenirs.....snakes in jars of alcohol, jackets for cats and dogs and even tins of spam ! There is also a market about halfway along the street and plenty of restaurants. We had some excellent sashimi.

At the end of the street we took a taxi back to the port which I think was around 800 yen.

Hope this helps.

Kim

• Like 1

Yes, the cabs were queueing up at the port.

We came off the ship about an hour after the organised tours had left and there were plenty. There were about 30 people in front of us and we waited no more than 10 minutes for a cab.

There was an information desk in the port terminal, the ladies spoke good English and marked places on a map for us, they also gave us a printed sheet of cab prices to the popular tourist spots.

There was also good free wifi in the port terminal, you just have to use the password that was printed on a poster/sign on the wall.

• 2 years later...

I will be in Naha, Okinawa on the 7th April, from 10.30am to 7.30pm as my Royal Caribbean cruise will be docked. Can anyone suggest a cheap and simple itinerary as I am trying to avoid paying exuberant charges on the cruise provided shore excursions?

hello

Can anyone tell me what port we will dock in at Okinawa. My husband wants to visit the aquarium but does not want to go on excusion for a day just to see the fish etc, so could someone tell us how far from port, do we need to get a taxi bus or can you walk ?

Thank you.

The "Okinawa" cruise port is actually Naha. The aquarium is located towards the opposite end of the island in Motobu. Unlike other parts of Japan, Okinawa doesn't have JR trains. There is the monorail that runs from the airport to Shuri Castle. Beyond that you are looking at either a taxi or rental car. So, I wouldn't recommend it. It just takes too much time/money, and you risk not making it back to the ship in time if you get stuck in traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Okinawa+Churaumi+Aquarium,+Kunigami+District,+Okinawa+Prefecture,+Japan/2-1+Tond%C5%8Dch%C5%8D,+Naha-shi,+Okinawa-ken+900-0035,+Japan/@26.4447905,127.5465784,10z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x34e4fa3152619e3d:0xea08a6700fdd9ffe!2m2!1d127.877932!2d26.694158!1m5!1m1!1s0x34e56997fc2326d1:0x6e3daeaeb74c6eb9!2m2!1d127.6702409!2d26.2107346

I think it depends on what ship you are on. We were on Voyager of the seas a few years ago and docked reasonably close to town. Last year on Ovation of the seas we got a free shuttle into town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Naha opened their new cruise terminal in the Tomari area in the spring of 2014. Here is a link to some more info. (Scroll through the first pages to get to the cruise section.) http://www.nahaport.jp/image/pdf/portsales(e)09.pdf

Not finding anything of particular interest to us, my wife and I chose to stay on board the Millennium last October; it was great having the ship almost to ourselves.

Ship days are great, but there a PLENTY of things to do in Naha.

http://www.visitokinawa.jp/

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/pdf/viewer.html?file=regional/kyushu_okinawa/okinawa.pdf

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/pdf/viewer.html?file=/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-709.pdf