90 day seat reservation

28SAC

Hi,

We have just heard that the 90 day seat rule has been scrapped,

I have just booked our Premium seats on the Dream liner from Manchester for our February Cruise.

Just 2 hours later I received an email confirmation.

Other people know about this as 8 seats were already booked.

This is a much fairer system

SAC

this from admin on TUI discovery facebook page

quote :

"For everyone confused about some people selecting seats early (normally 90 days before your return flight), just to confirm that you can now select your seats at the time of booking, but only if you're in premium club, or have paid for extra space or extra leg room seats. For anyone who has just paid the 'select your seat' fee the seat plan will still open 90 days before your return flight as it's always done!"

Stevie

I don't understand why they don't scrap it completely. I've always thought that if you pay to select your seat then you should be able to do so as soon as you've booked your holiday, that's how it works with Thomas Cook!

Personally, I think they should do away with booking seats altogether and go back to the old system of first come first served. But of course Thomson will not do that anytime soon as it is a great money spinner

Hi Linda

We refuse to give in and book seats. Just turn up in plenty of time as always and never been separated yet.:)

Hi Linda

We refuse to give in and book seats. Just turn up in plenty of time as always and never been separated yet.:)

Totally agree. We prefer opposing aisle seats and often get allocated them. Charging for seats must be a nice earner for airlines.

Hi Linda

I thought all unreserved seats were pre-allocated by Thomsons 7 days ahead of the flight, after the option closed for pre-booking those seats where a further payment was required?

So how would turning up early (or late) be relevant to where you will sit ? :confused:

Maybe I've missed something - won't be the first time !!!

Don't think you have, we always book after being separated a couple of times even in premium once, IMO its a very small amount compared to the holiday cost for the security and yes i fully understand Thomson are relying on that attitude to make money out of us.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Yes this is close to our heart as in all our Thomson cruises it was the only real problem we have had, first long distance flight for Mrs PC, in premium but sat behind each other they maintained that it was together fortunately the judge found in our favour which paid for the cruise, so we always now make certain!

That is separation in my book.

I had a dispute with Jet2 this summer, first time we've taken a package deal with them.

Booked a family holiday for 4 adults and 2 young grandkids - and paid with credit card (no surcharge, nice one) all straightforward.

Then the sales girl advised me to prebook all seats together @ £7.50 each way, adding that they would be allocated immediately.

I asked her that if the seats were currently unreserved, why could we not just have them there and then, at no cost, as part of the bookinig ?

The response was "you have to pay for reserved seats" !!!

She clearly didn't get that I was asking why a first come first served procedure was not used.

To cut a long story short I complained to their CEO and he replied that one of his HQ staff would call.

The long and the short of it - he refunded the costs, both ways, as a goodwill gesture and went on to explain how the prepaid seats reservation procedure worked.

I told him that I fully understood the mechanics of the system and repeated the earlier question, why not first come etc., - adding that it was simply a blatant extra money making exercise for Jet2 - as with the other holiday airlines.

He was unable to refute that of course, as EVERYBODY really knows what it is.

Victor Meldrew again !!!

PS - the Jet 2 experience is far superior to Thomsons. No credit card surcharge, quick and very efficient check in at airport, decent legroom seats on aircraft and on the return leg a luggage check system in at the hotel on the morning of departure.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

PS - the Jet 2 experience is far superior to Thomsons. No credit card surcharge, quick and very efficient check in at airport, decent legroom seats on aircraft and on the return leg a luggage check system in at the hotel on the morning of departure.

Sadly Jet2 don't fly from southern airports WCM :( but we did use them on a chartered flight from Gatwick to Tenerife with Fred and we were quite impressed.

On the subject of reserving seats, I have just had a call from Thomson, asking if I would like to book my seats next May! I politely declined and she said OK, unlike the last time, when a very rude man went on and on and on.............when all I wanted to do was play my balance.

I just trust to luck and check in at midnight one week before and have had seats together, except once when I checked in a day late and we were separated by one seat. Strangely the seat behind one of them was free, so I booked that for £9. My DH is not very chatty anyway, so usually get more conversation out of strangers :D:D

Hi Linda,

I just trust to luck and check in at midnight one week before and have had seats together, except once when I checked in a day late and we were separated by one seat. Strangely the seat behind one of them was free, so I booked that for £9. My DH is not very chatty anyway, so usually get more conversation out of strangers :D:D

As I understand it, Thomsons allocate the "ordinary" unreserved seats just before the online 7 day check in opens - so it makes no difference if you check in earlier or later during that period.

When we flew recently our seats were flagged up when I went to print off the boarding passes, with no option to choose, unless there were still remaining unreserved seats for which you could pay extra.

Is that not the system ?

Edited by WeeCountyMan

• 3 months later...
Thank you. I have just booked my extra legroom seats for our flight to Jamaica next April.

Hi yes my booking states 27/12/2017 before I can chooses seats. We got Premium club, but I went on my account today and booked them, so glad I did as some gone already.

Hi yes my booking states 27/12/2017 before I can chooses seats. We got Premium club, but I went on my account today and booked them, so glad I did as some gone already.

yes, we did the same for our January Premium seats, got 2 together with a window seat. Some already gone!

Yes I agree pc but do wish Thomsons had told me when I booked that seats could be reserved at the time. We usually book at the last minute and of course premium seats are not available then. Well never mind, at least we are going, all being well, and that's the important thing.

We go on the 18th from BHX so will be on for your first week. We decided not to go this year as we are having problems with jet lag on the return and after going for the last 8 years felt we could stop which we know now was a mistake but we have our European cruises to look forward to!!

Yes it is a long flight. We were delayed by three hours last year when leaving UK so it made the flight seem extra long. We have been four times, first on Emerald and then Destiny, Dream and Celebration. Have enjoyed all very much. We have land based holidays this summer but will look forward to the winter warmer.