1st time to Galveston, pre-cruise restaurant advice

Swann5

Sorry, I know there are quite a few recommendations already in various threads, but not with the specifics I'm looking for. We are staying on the island pre-cruise and are looking for a restaurant that may have both my husband's and my favourites: raw oysters and coconut shrimp. Or perhaps we need to have oysters as an appetizer at one restaurant and find the coconut shrimp for supper at a nearby restaurant. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Dianne

There is Landry's Seafood (more high end) then there is Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. I've had the coconut shrimp at Bubba Gump and it is great. I don't eat oysters, so I can't comment. Also Willy G's right next to the cruise port. Gaido's is a long time restaurant on the beach side that is very popular as well. You can look these up and see the menu items.

There is Landry's Seafood (more high end) then there is Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. I've had the coconut shrimp at Bubba Gump and it is great. I don't eat oysters, so I can't comment. Also Willy G's right next to the cruise port. Gaido's is a long time restaurant on the beach side that is very popular as well. You can look these up and see the menu items.

Be aware that Bubba Gump's, Landry's and Willie G's are all owned by the same corporation and the food is more alike than different. Some of us are not fans as the price always exceeds the quality.

Be aware that Bubba Gump's, Landry's and Willie G's are all owned by the same corporation and the food is more alike than different. Some of us are not fans as the price always exceeds the quality.

Agreed. They price definitely exceeds the quality. But it's not awful.

Shrimp and Stuff would also have what you're looking for. I will be going there next month on our pre-cruise day before the Valor

This was going to be my suggestion. We found Shrimp & Stuff last year pre-cruise and I have to say, they have the best gumbo I've ever put in my mouth!!! I got a bowl of gumbo and DH and I split the seafood platter and it was more than enough for both of us. This was at the downtown location. They do have another more casual restaurant on the corner of 39th Blvd and O Avenue that I'm hoping we can try when we come down in September.

This was going to be my suggestion. We found Shrimp & Stuff last year pre-cruise and I have to say, they have the best gumbo I've ever put in my mouth!!! I got a bowl of gumbo and DH and I split the seafood platter and it was more than enough for both of us. This was at the downtown location. They do have another more casual restaurant on the corner of 39th Blvd and O Avenue that I'm hoping we can try when we come down in September.

Thanks for this tip. As long as they are open on our pre-cruise day which is Easter Sunday we are definitely going here.

I love GUMBO and I live in Illinois. People up here don't know how to make GUMBO so I always look forward to it when I go south

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for this tip. As long as they are open on our pre-cruise day which is Easter Sunday we are definitely going here.

I love GUMBO and I live in Illinois. People up here don't know how to make GUMBO so I always look forward to it when I go south

As many that are making the gumbo , the tastes will vary

according .

As many that are making the gumbo , the tastes will vary

according .

Oh I know. My very good friend lives in the Baton Rouge area. Her GUMBO is the best...so I will have to try it there just to see the difference