Eavesway to Southampton

castlebaycruisers

We are cruising from Southampton on Navigator of the Seas in May 2017. Has anybody used Eavesway Coaches to make the journey from the North East to Southampton, or indeed anywhere in the UK to Southampton. Do they guarantee to get you to the coach on time?

Thank you for any input

We've done Eavesway from the NW, and there was a concern about snow, so the driver rang us the previous day to ask us to be 1/2 an hour earlier... that's how concerned they were to get us to the ship in good time. I believe that the firm is in constant touch with Southampton, stating where they are; also I think at the last break, they give an estimated time of arrival.

The coaches all seem to arrive between 1-2.30; your luggage is taken straight to the ship and you just enter the terminal. If there was a major incident, I'm sure Southampton would be aware.

We've done Eavesway from the NW, and there was a concern about snow, so the driver rang us the previous day to ask us to be 1/2 an hour earlier... that's how concerned they were to get us to the ship in good time. I believe that the firm is in constant touch with Southampton, stating where they are; also I think at the last break, they give an estimated time of arrival.

The coaches all seem to arrive between 1-2.30; your luggage is taken straight to the ship and you just enter the terminal. If there was a major incident, I'm sure Southampton would be aware.

Just beware Eavesway sometimes service more than one ship on disembarkation in Southampton. Here is our story:

Last November, pre booked Eavesway from Oriana at Southampton to London Heathrow. Everything went ok at first off ship @ 8.30am, got onto coach with a dozen others. Then the driver said 'We just have to pick up some more pax from Arcadia at next quay. So we drive about 200 metres to where Arcadia had just berthed. Delay, delay, it was 11.30am before we got the dozen or so on board the coach from Arcadia. Driver apologised but head office made her wait. She said it sometimes happens. As such we got to Heathrow about 3 hours later (1.30pm) then intended, sure we got the flight home ok @ 5pm, but a bit tighter than we would have liked.

Bus was fine, female driver was fine, but I was a bit irate, as were other pax with double ship servicing. 3 hours sitting in a bus, going nowhere at Mayfair Terminal is not nice. We did not use Eavesway to get to the ship as we had dropped our rental car off in Southampton, precruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by NSWP

We are cruising from Southampton on Navigator of the Seas in May 2017. Has anybody used Eavesway Coaches to make the journey from the North East to Southampton, or indeed anywhere in the UK to Southampton. Do they guarantee to get you to the coach on time?

Thank you for any input

We fly Newcastle to Southampton the day before the cruise. One hour flight,stay in a nice hotel,a meal and a few drinks Wake up leisurely,breakfast,a walk or read the papers then on the ship nice and relaxed. Couldn't fancy having to be at Washington Services (Our nearest Eavesway pick up) for 4:30am on the first day of the cruise :eek:

We fly Newcastle to Southampton the day before the cruise. One hour flight,stay in a nice hotel,a meal and a few drinks Wake up leisurely,breakfast,a walk or read the papers then on the ship nice and relaxed. Couldn't fancy having to be at Washington Services (Our nearest Eavesway pick up) for 4:30am on the first day of the cruise :eek:

Way to go, the civilised way to start one's adventure.

We used to live near Leeds and used Eavesway regularly. The service was excellent with lovely coaches and great drivers. The HUGE advantage over flying is the fact you can take as much luggage as you like and that's part of the fun of cruising for me. There is also the option of a direct train from Newcastle at 7.35, 9.35 or 11.35

We used to live near Leeds and used Eavesway regularly. The service was excellent with lovely coaches and great drivers. The HUGE advantage over flying is the fact you can take as much luggage as you like and that's part of the fun of cruising for me. There is also the option of a direct train from Newcastle at 7.35, 9.35 or 11.35

The train times are a big help- I'm often asked by people from the NE about trains to S'ton. Are these the cross country ones ie no changing at London? I know a forum friend who won't go to S'ton again because of the change/tube.... he's looking for cruises from the NE now. :rolleyes:

The last time we flew Flybe to Soton from Newcastle one of us booked and extra 20kg bag so including the 10kg hand luggage allowance each we ended up with 80kg between us. Taking that into account along with a 50 minute flight it was a no brainer :)

The train times are a big help- I'm often asked by people from the NE about trains to S'ton. Are these the cross country ones ie no changing at London? I know a forum friend who won't go to S'ton again because of the change/tube.... he's looking for cruises from the NE now. :rolleyes:

Yes,there are direct trains with no changes but last time I looked they were more expensive than flying and took 5 hours longer :eek:

I thought some of the cruise lines were no longer using Eavesway? Last couple of times from Manchester the firm has been Intercruises.

For our cruise in December we've decided to drive down the night before. We've found a hotel that will keep the car for 27 nights and runs a shuttle service to the port. Nice to be in control of the journey down and no getting up at a silly time of the morning.

I thought some of the cruise lines were no longer using Eavesway? Last couple of times from Manchester the firm has been Intercruises.

For our cruise in December we've decided to drive down the night before. We've found a hotel that will keep the car for 27 nights and runs a shuttle service to the port. Nice to be in control of the journey down and no getting up at a silly time of the morning.

Yes, P&O are using Intercruises now. Our TA booked us with Eavesway, and it was very good, but we're back on the train and a night in S'ton next time... as you say, the early start is just too much! We've tried every way, and this time we're going to have the Baggage Handlers to collect the suitcases before we go.

Yes, InterCruise is the P&O Contractor, but Eavesway still services the ships. I booked direct on their web site, following reviews on here.

We live in Leicester, and apart from our first cruise, where we got a coach on the day (way to stressful) we've traveled by train.......one change in Birmingham, then direct to Southampton central!!

We always go the day before, hotel,meal, chill!!

Only 2 week's left before ours, can't wait!!

Steve n Wendy

We live in Leicester, and apart from our first cruise, where we got a coach on the day (way to stressful) we've traveled by train.......one change in Birmingham, then direct to Southampton central!!

We always go the day before, hotel,meal, chill!!

Only 2 week's left before ours, can't wait!!

Steve n Wendy

Way to go, chillax pre cruise, enjoy. Up the Canaries !!!

Edited by NSWP

• 2 weeks later...
We opted for the direct train from York. Thought about flying but that into ducked a weight restriction on luggage and we would be left in a mess if the flight was cancelled.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always fly the day before and stay in a hotel,thus no problem if flight was cancelled.Still plenty time to make other arrangements. Only cost us around £40 for an extra piece of checked in luggage :)