How to find a real last minute cruise deal?

I will be retiring soon, and living in South Florida. I have heard that because cruise lines would rather provide a lower rate than sail a cabin empty there are some excellent cruise bargains for people who are flexible and can literally decide from one day to the next about going on a cruise. Where is the best place to find these last minute deals?

Many of the cruise lines have alerting systems that send you e mails with last minute deals.

Do you live relatively close to a major cruise port? Otherwise last minute airfares, when available, can be a killer.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I'm in Fort Lauderdale so I keep an eye on the last minute specials. You get better offers from a line you've cruised with before. Twice I had a balcony room on princess for $60/night pp. Not seeing deals like that anymore.

I've definitely seen prices fall within the last 30 days and even within the last week before a cruise. I booked my TA about two weeks ago (leaves this Sunday) for an incredibly low price and it just went down another 20% over the weekend. So they are out there.

You could pick a general destination and time of year and then keep an eye on prices for those sailings from your departure port. You could use the Price Drop feature on this site to watch for anything with good value going wherever and whenever. It's a great tool with a good filtering function. I find cruises by being on the email lists, but you never know if they are going to emphasize freebies and incentives and not mention last-minute hot deals.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from a recent cruise that was $299 for a 7 day cruise out of New Orleans. We booked it 8 days before departure. I had vacation days to burn and my wife was on the end of a medical leave from a recent operation. I'd always wanted to go on last minute cruise; the planets aligned and we went. Since cruise was leaving out of NO we were able to travel by car with one day travel. I lost all the joy of anticipation but I got over it quickly. I'm ready to do it again.

• 3 weeks later...
I just got back from a recent cruise that was $299 for a 7 day cruise out of New Orleans. We booked it 8 days before departure. I had vacation days to burn and my wife was on the end of a medical leave from a recent operation. I'd always wanted to go on last minute cruise; the planets aligned and we went. Since cruise was leaving out of NO we were able to travel by car with one day travel. I lost all the joy of anticipation but I got over it quickly. I'm ready to do it again.

That's good to hear. I am about 12 hours from NO, Galveston and Mobile. My last 2 high schoolers just switched to online schooling this year so we can pick and go with a couple days notice now. Would just need time to get the dog situated at the kennel and drive to port.

What type of room did you have for that price? Looks like we might need to start watching for last minute cruises. Of course we need to get our Halloween and early Dec cruise over with first. Or maybe we could squeeze one in before then lol

The $299 was for an inside cabin which was big enough for the two of us. An ocean view stateroom was only $50 more at $349. The cruise line also emailed me offering a suite for a deal also.

Lately, it appears best last minute deals are around 50-31 days prior to departure. No more big price slash once the 30 day mark kicks in.
Perhaps but the 90 day ticker unearths great deals . My upcoming NCL Med cruise was booked at 700 PP for a good balcony cabin . It includes the drink and dining perks (although you end up paying an extra 125 PP service fee) .

I booked 80 days out . Now we are 49 days out and an unassigned cabin without the so called freebies the price is currently $1300for this cruise , just 1 month later . Wow !!!

You just never know .

Edited by richstowe

We follow the 90 day ticker plus we get last minute info from several cruise lines and TA's.

We almost always book inside the final payment window. Usually just inside to 45 days out. But we have had two that were only 3/4 days out.

Prices go up and down. It is not unusual to see price increases or decreases within the final payment window. Our practice is to determine a strike price, select a few cruise lines/ships, and watch for our number to hit. Then we buy. It is pointless to try and get the lowest price because it may pass you by.

Next year, I'm tempted to book a week of vacation just so I can see what type of last minute deal I can get. I'm not near any port, closest to fly to would be New York or New Jersey and could bus it to either one as well.

The latest cruise I've booked was my first Explorer sailing, but that was about 4 months before sailing.

I've always reserved a year in advance and have only seen one price drop and it wasn't really, juat a $100 obc. I don't cruise to the Caribbean in off season or hurricane season. I think those are the months for last minute deals. Right now, I booked a cruise in April for the Greek Islands in October and it has gone up $150.00. I was hoping for a price drop, but now think I was lucky to get the price I got.

Edited by getupgo

• 3 weeks later...

Most of my solo cruise bookings were within 60 days. All were price drops. Only booked far in advance when traveling with others. Last family cruise of 8 cabins had 3 or 4 price drops and included an upgrade to balcony after booking. I lived where I could use 3 different airports for flights so I often searched for best flights. Now I live in the south where flights are more expensive due to less competition. I miss cruising. I have moved a lot lately so less cruising recently, but its in the works for 2017. Next will be next year to Alaska. Bring it on.

We always use *************.com. We've gotten some great deals through them. We usually get suites for the brochure price of an inside room.

And you might have just learned Cruise Critic lesson #1- we are not allowed to name or discuss travel agencies, on line or brick and mortar, on Cruise Critic.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be retiring soon, and living in South Florida. I have heard that because cruise lines would rather provide a lower rate than sail a cabin empty there are some excellent cruise bargains for people who are flexible and can literally decide from one day to the next about going on a cruise. Where is the best place to find these last minute deals?

Cruise Critic itself has an email notification system for price drops. http://www.cruisecritic.com/price-drop/ It is personalizable and very convenient. Don't know for sure that is would be useful for last minute cruising, but I don't see why not...

Sorry, I'm new. That was only the second thing I've posted. Won't do it again.

Shucks! I missed the name! Thanks anyway! I wish names could be shared but understand.... [emoji5]

Edited by hun

I got the name but not sure why it can't be shared :(

Because it would open the flood gates to every TA that is a member here and all the rest that are online....all saying "Use me, use me"....

And then there would be snarky rude remarks and criticisms of this one or that one.

It would be ugly.

CC, as we know it, would disappear.

This way is best.