Travel insurance

Parsman

On a recent long cruise there were a large number of elderly passengers, some of whom were obviously very frail and in poor health. I am amazed that these people are able to obtain travel insurance - or perhaps they don't? As a relatively fit person I know the quotes I have received for world cruises are astronomical and will be higher, if obtainable, when I reach 80 years old.

H:confused:ave any contributors any views on this?

On a recent long cruise there were a large number of elderly passengers, some of whom were obviously very frail and in poor health. I am amazed that these people are able to obtain travel insurance - or perhaps they don't? As a relatively fit person I know the quotes I have received for world cruises are astronomical and will be higher, if obtainable, when I reach 80 years old.

having done 2 cruises with fred we got in to coversation about insurance with a young 89 year old gent,he told us he did not take pills and was as fit as a fiddle but had to pay nearly £300 for a 2 week cruise.

other passengers who did not look as fit as this gent must pay sky high prices if any.

by the way we had passengers taken off ill at nearly every port,also ship stopped off fishgaurd for lifeboat to take off sick passenger.

when we arrived back to greenock there was an ambulance waiting at dockside to take passenger to hospital,i hope all these passengers had insurance cover. we are no spring chickens at 66 and wife 63,we would never think to travel without insurance cover.

There are companies that don,t charge a "arm & leg" for insurance for older people ,having relatives that are over 80 and are frequent travelers ,I can recommend Tokio Marine ,Columbus amongst others,both these used by my relatives.

Tokio Marine paid out swiftly to a claim and Columbus charged about £110 for both as a couple for 2 weeks.:)

It is a term of booking at least with Fred Olsen that you do have travel insurance.

Perhaps some people do not declare medical conditions? I suppose for the very elderly who may not have any relatives or relatives who will take liability for them they may lie and take a chance.

Some months back I read a book Cruise Ship SOS which was an interesting insight into a Doctor who was doing his first trip on board a cruise ship. He recounted the story of an elderly WWII veteran who had a terminal prognosis and who was travelling to a particular port to pay his respects to his fallen comrades.

For medical reasons the veteran couldn't travel by air so he chose a cruise which called at the place concerned - I think it was in the far east.

The doctor guessed the guy never had medical insurance and I don't think the chap returned to the ship.

My parents were charged the earth for insurance, in fact on one cruise the insurance was more than the cruise. However, we did find a company that enabled them to pay a reasonable amount, the draw back being if they needed help the excess was high. I was happy to pay teh excess on te off chance they needed help.

My wife and I have worldwide travel insurance through my bank, by my monthly account charge. I just ring the helpline before travelling and I talk through things with a very knowledgeable advisor, to see what is covered and what isn't. For an extra £10 a year I take out the "dangerous sports " cover (skiing etc) and then if I have to make a claim, there's no excess to pay.

We've only cruised 3 times..Cunard, P & O & Fred Olsen and all three wanted Insurance Policy details and associated emergency contact telephone numbers before they would accept a booking.

We've only cruised 3 times..Cunard, P & O & Fred Olsen and all three wanted Insurance Policy details and associated emergency contact telephone numbers before they would accept a booking.

I've cruised with these three lines as well, all booked through travel agents, and have never been asked for insurance details until after the cruise has been booked and confirmed. Perhaps this applies just for direct bookings?

Mary

I have never had a problem booking online, either direct or through an agent, without providing insurance details. As I don't normally opt for cancellation cover, I usually obtain the insurance nearer the time of the cruise.

Brian

Some get insurance but with so many exclusions that it would not really do what the cruise line wanted if a problem arose.

A lot of elderly folks like the 'round Britain' cruises that FOCL does - never far away from the NHS.

Archived