Shuttle bus from/to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?

Canuker

Can anyone give details of the shuttle service provided by Cunard out of the Brooklyn cruise terminal, please.

Where it goes to/from, start time, frequency, cost, etc.

Cunard's webpage,

https://ask.cunard.com/resources/carnivaluk/on-shore/CU_Shuttle_Information

states, "Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - A shuttle bus service will

operate from this berth".

I'm assuming it heads over to Manhattan? We will be coming in from Newark airport by train into NYC Penn Station and it would be really helpful to pick up their shuttle from there to the ship.

Can anyone shed light on this service, please?

I took this a couple of years ago. It went to Macey's and ran regularly, about every half an hour I seem to remember. Cost of a return was expensive, but sorry, I can't remember exactly what. We needed a ticket to board, so it may not work for you.

Edited by cruiseluvva

We've just returned from the 175th anniversary crossing.

The shuttle is only for those people doing the B2B, and runs once (around 8.30am) from the ship to Macy's and then back again @ 4pm. Cost was $49 each return.

There is no facility to pick up boarding passengers in New York, unless you have already arranged a transfer from your airport/hotel direct with Cunard.

Can anyone give details of the shuttle service provided by Cunard out of the Brooklyn cruise terminal, please.

Where it goes to/from, start time, frequency, cost, etc.

Cunard's webpage,

https://ask.cunard.com/resources/carnivaluk/on-shore/CU_Shuttle_Information

states, "Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - A shuttle bus service will

operate from this berth".

I'm assuming it heads over to Manhattan? We will be coming in from Newark airport by train into NYC Penn Station and it would be really helpful to pick up their shuttle from there to the ship.

Can anyone shed light on this service, please?

This is easy: they don't do one anymore

Thanks to all who replied.

It looks like we're out of luck on this.

Canuker

Email a car sevice tell them which train and for approx$40 door to ship.

Cant remember the actual name of the one I use e but its name involves7

Phone # includes lots of7s

Edited by electra2008

Email a car sevice tell them which train and for approx$40 door to ship.

Cant remember the actual name of the one I use e but its name involves7

Phone # includes lots of7s

We have used the 7s a bunch of times in the New York area. Good company, reliable, competitive pricing. You can make yourself crazy trying to get from Newark airport to Brooklyn on public transport with all your luggage, but then you will still have to take a cab to the Red Hook port which is not close to a subway stop. So just take a hired care directly from the Newark airport. It's not super cheap, but then nothing is. And you won't make yourself crazy.

If you want to keep costs down take the train from the airport to Newark Penn Station then take the PATH to World Trade Centre. The taxi fare from there to Brooklyn won't be as much and you're eliminating a lot of traffic hot spots too. Getting our luggage on and off the train wasn't a problem either.

That's a challenge even for New Yorkers! Always easier (not necessarily cheaper) to get a ride from your starting point. Once you enter the underground rail system in NYC with luggage, I can only wish you good luck. :)

That's a challenge even for New Yorkers! Always easier (not necessarily cheaper) to get a ride from your starting point. Once you enter the underground rail system in NYC with luggage, I can only wish you good luck...

The OP will also be searching for working elevators to get from the station up to the street. These can be out of service for one reason or another.

Using the Cunard shuttle would mean one would have to know both the pickup time and pickup point. Macy's spans the entire length of 34th street between Sixth and Seventh Avenues. And if you arrive in Brooklyn after the check in cutoff time you are screwed.

Trying to economize like this is an example of "being penny wise but pound foolish".:(

OP, your location shows that you are in Toronto. Since you want to come from the airport I'm assuming you are flying in the day of your crossing. That's a bad idea in itself as all sorts of weather and mechanical problems can delay you. I hope everything goes well for you because the ship's next port is Southampton and not the little town on Long Island NY.

Edited by BlueRiband

Thanks to all who replied.

It looks like we're out of luck on this.

Canuker

We were trying to find a way home from Brooklyn as well. In the end we decided to get a taxi to the nearest Hertz and we're renting a car and driving ourselves. It's about a 4 hour drive but it would probably be just as long, if not longer, to go by train or plane. I was disappointed that there were no rental kiosks at the terminal.

We were trying to find a way home from Brooklyn as well. In the end we decided to get a taxi to the nearest Hertz and we're renting a car and driving ourselves. It's about a 4 hour drive but it would probably be just as long, if not longer, to go by train or plane. I was disappointed that there were no rental kiosks at the terminal.

The Redhook terminal isn't used frequently enough for any of the car renal companies to put a fleet in there.

Hertz at 90 Union street notes: "Cab fare from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to this location will be reimbursed up to USD 10.00 with receipt and proof of arrival on a cruise ship."

Hertz Park Slope

The Redhook terminal isn't used frequently enough for any of the car renal companies to put a fleet in there.

Hertz at 90 Union street notes: "Cab fare from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to this location will be reimbursed up to USD 10.00 with receipt and proof of arrival on a cruise ship."

Hertz Park Slope

I think that's the office we have to get to. I'd have to check my receipt to be positive.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

We've decided to do a modified version of Jimmys Chippy's suggestion:

1. Taxi, Newark airport to Newark Penn station.

2. PATH train to World Trade Center.

3. Taxi to ship.

Not too onerous, pulling one checked-size bag each. Fairly quick and not too pricey, as we avoid crossing State lines in a cab.

We are not time-short on the trip to the ship.

Returning to Newark, on a weekday morning around rush hour, will be trickier, though. I've allowed 30 minutes in the cab, terminal to WTS, leaving around 09:30 am.

We've used the NYC subway before to do this transfer but if there were elevators / escalators on our route we didn't find them; all the stairs were a challenge.

That sounds like the most reasonable way to balance cost and efficiency. Very few NYC subway stations have elevators. It's a major engineering challenge to do this in 468 stations.

If you have only one pull-bag each you might consider getting off the ship early on arrival by using "Self Help" or "Express" disembarkation. You would be able to leave as soon as the ship clears with US authorities. However you must be able to take everything down the gangway in one trip with no assistance whatsoever. To use early disembarkation one must appear at the Purser's Desk - in person - no later than the last evening and ask for "Self Help" disembarkation cards. (It has to be done in person because they want to make sure the passenger is physically up to it and understands self help means just that.)

We are doing a roundtrip Transatlantic on 22/10/2015 and will be in New York on 29/10/2015 and was hoping that Cunard do a shuttle bus for those on the roundtrip. If they dont think the only feasible way would be taxi from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal into Manhatten then hope to get a return taxi.

We are doing a roundtrip Transatlantic on 22/10/2015 and will be in New York on 29/10/2015 and was hoping that Cunard do a shuttle bus for those on the roundtrip. If they dont think the only feasible way would be taxi from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal into Manhatten then hope to get a return taxi.

If you're reasonably fit it should be entirely possible to do this with transit. Google maps suggests about 45-50 minutes each way. From the terminal follow the main drive until it hooks to the left. You should see a small gate there leading to a side street. Follow the side street (Pioneer) for a couple of blocks until you come to Van Brunt street. Cross Van Brunt, cross Pioneer Street and walk a few more feet until you come to a bus stop sign. The B61 bus comes by about every 15 minutes, and it is about a 15 minute ride to the end of the line in Brooklyn

attachment.php?attachmentid=357715

When you get to the end of the line walk north on the street where the bus leaves you, about 2 blocks to the Jay Street Metro Tech subway which will take you into Manhattan:

attachment.php?attachmentid=357716

I'd suggest taking a digital camera and taking some photos of the area around the bus and subway stops to help you find your way back.

Roy

map1.jpg.255a18d36aabb808747bc5aade41cba3.jpg

map2.jpg.2a488377e5f6fc0a954b38f500e149c5.jpg

Edited by rafinmd

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

We've decided to do a modified version of Jimmys Chippy's suggestion:

1. Taxi, Newark airport to Newark Penn station.

2. PATH train to World Trade Center.

3. Taxi to ship.

Not too onerous, pulling one checked-size bag each. Fairly quick and not too pricey, as we avoid crossing State lines in a cab.

We are not time-short on the trip to the ship.

Returning to Newark, on a weekday morning around rush hour, will be trickier, though. I've allowed 30 minutes in the cab, terminal to WTS, leaving around 09:30 am.

We've used the NYC subway before to do this transfer but if there were elevators / escalators on our route we didn't find them; all the stairs were a challenge.

We were originally going to take the subway to NY Penn Station and catch a train direct to the Newark Airport stop which would have been a more straightforward affair, but as others have alluded to the lack of elevators would have made the process a bit trickier. There are elevators at the Air Train Station, Newark Penn Station and the PATH Station at World Trade Centre and the whole process went extremely smooth and very cheap. The ride from WTC to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal took around 10-15 minutes.

Does Cunard offer a transfer from Brooklyn to Penn Station or Manhattan at least for people leaving the ship? Have used this on other lines.

Sadly, all my Cunard TA's since 2011 have been Eastbound. My last Western TA in 2011 it was offered. I haven't heard specifically that it has been discontinued but also cannot verify it's current existence.

Roy

Cunard offers a coach transfer from Brooklyn to the Amtrak Penn Station for disembarking passengers. You might be able to add it on on your Voyage Personalizer or by calling Cunard. I've also seen these offered for signup on board. This is the cheapest, no-hassle way to travel from the ship to Manhattan.

As for those on the B2B, shuttles and tours will depend on how many are staying with the ship for the EB return. The shuttle is intended for passengers staying with the ship. The shuttle will drop passengers off at Macy's and return at a specified pickup point later in the day. (Presumably the shuttle and driver will return to their company's garage during the layover and won't be making constant trips between Macy's and the ship.) Therefore it's not possible to use this if one is just boarding the ship.