Need Asia tour guides

smj

• 2 weeks later...

Many of these port are doable on your own. Some not so much or you may want more in-depth tours, depending upon you length of stay. I can help with Hong Kong, Singapore and Bangkok, as I have been there many times but not the other ports you mentioned. What are your specific questions ? Do you not want to do the ships tours?

Regards,

Shannon

Thanks Shannon. Rather than the ship tours we would prefer to do a private tour with a driver/guide that will pick us up and bring us back to the ship. Do you know of any names? Also we will be flying over to Hong Kong early and staying a fews days after in Singapore. How many days for each city would you suggest?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Will get back to you soon. Very busy now with company etc. but both H.K. and Singapore have great public transportation. Is this your first trip? Where are you staying at each place? It makes quite a difference. I would say minimum of 3 nights for first visits. They are all GREAT cities, you will have a blast.

Regards,

Shannon

Hi Steve,

This is a web site that has gotten high praise for fellow CCers, http://www.asianventure.com. It will provide you with alternatives for at least three of your ports. I'll get back with more suggestions, as well, but have you tried Frommers or Fodors, as they have boards and recommendations too?

Regards,

Shannon

There is nothing to see in Sihanoukvile.You must take a long 1 to 2 hr trip to Phnom Penh the capitol.Then tour the city.Very interesting and the people are fantastic.Just be sure you book with a reliable tour operater,or better yet i would suggest taking the ships tour.If you get stuck with a pvt tour guide and cant make your way back to port they will leave with out you.Just keep that in mind.There is noo AAA In Cambodia. Have a great trip.

Hi Steve--

1. Singapore - use the concierge desk at the Raffles Hotel, and contact them as quickly as you can via Raffles DOT com (I believe) or through the web site. Sam at the concierge desk can arrange taxi and driver/guide for S$35.00 per hour (probably US$20-25 today). Ask if Zainal is available; he is the greatest! Go to Orchid Garden (Magnificent flowers), Little India, Raffles (history and atmosphere) , Orchard St. (shopping experience), open air market, Zoo (especially if you can get to Breakfast with the Orangutans at 9am or Tea with one of the other animals at about 4pm). You can get a cab from the Cruise Ship terminal in the International Trade Center Complex to the Raffles (metered, about 15-20 minutes).

2. Hong Kong - use the car service (Carely) at the Peninsula Hotel. Manager is Eddie. I don't remember the price or the name of the individual driver, but I think about US$50. Make arrangements by calling the Limo Service and asking for Eddie and telling him what you want specifically. Peninsula is about 2-3 blocks from the Ocean Terminal where most ships dock.

Both of these will give you a great experience and are prepared to take you to the more interesting, off-the-beaten tourist path places.

3. Saigon -- everyone (cruise ships, A&K, and all other operators) use the government tour service "SaigonTourist" which is not bad from my experience. They can be reached by telephone but I don't have the number. Prices are relatively inexpensive, but if you go through cruise ship tour office or a private operator, there is a substantial mark-up. I did this through A&K last year and I think that the price was about $100-$150 for the day.

Must sees: National Museum, including the water puppets (Truly unique and not to be missed - bring a video camera); Lacquer factory and store; excellent shopping across from Rex Hotel in a new mall; Ben Thanh Market. For food, try the Lemongrass Restaurant.

Good luck.

AJ

Archived