Out of Houston Cruising

deborahjo

It's long and boring, then after sailing, you're in the channel for what seems like forever. The port facility is nice enough, although there is seemingly nothing near it except for miles and miles of oil fields, machinery, refining facilities and rail cars as far as you can see in any direction. Kinda makes you want to get an electric car! Ground fog causes lots of delays in and out in the cooler months. My son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter live in Houston so with that bonus, I'll continue to sail out of there though.

The port is about 30 minutes from Hobby Airport and a little less than an hour from Bush International.

What's the best way to get from Hobby Airport to the cruise terminal?

Is there a shuttle service? Car Service? Or taxi.

And approximate cost?

Thanks.

And approximate cost?

Thanks.

Well, when I sailed out of Houston, I used Princess transfers from Hobby. As someone mentioned above, they're $22 p/p. They had a desk set up in the baggage claim area. I'd estimate it took a little over an hour between the time I walked off the plane and when I arrived at the port. YMMV

11397170164_31ee1c8204_z.jpg

Houston Sailaway by Richard, on Flickr

If you want to sail Princess, best do it this season...they are not returning to Houston for the 2016-17 season unfortunately....currently it look as only NCL will be sailing from Houston port after April 2016, with RCL and Carnival still out of Galveston. :(

The fog question is hard to answer, mostly because it depends on the rain/humidity levels. Right now (San Antonio) it is a SAUNA outside at 6:24am due to all the rain we got the past few days....it is almost "foggy" the humidity is so thick.

Edited by Debe7ing

I am not surprised about their pulling out of Houston, but disappointed. Those cruises have been extremely well priced and ships have been full ( probably b/c of the low prices). Guess it is back to flying to FLL for the eastern Caribbean ports( they are so much nicer anyway)

eclue:rolleyes:

And approximate cost?

Thanks.

The transfer is excellent, and as I said very efficient. ;)

I even took the first one and was in the DR for lunch by 12:15. :D

Look at the fog issues and schedule your flight later than you normally would out of FLL.

Some friends were late departing Houston by a day with the fog being so bad. Other ships have been delayed getting back into port on time. Just look into it before you book (cruise or air).

Fog issues in the winter months....can create some huge headaches.

The ride to the port is not bad, but there is nothing around the port at all.

Also, the liquor laws in TX limit Princess to serving only the alcohol they purchase in TX while still in the TX waters. This is a pain - it means that for the long ride out of the channel and past Galveston for a few more miles, the booze selection is very limited (as Princess doesn't buy a lot of liquor in TX). Puts a big dent in my Mojito with lunch at embarkation tradition.

The truth is the port of Houston is quite fragile - a very long narrow channel with high traffic and plenty of fog issues, and nothing but the port facility near by the port.

But so what ?- that doesn't mean we wouldn't sail in or out of Houston given the right itinerary and/or the right price and/or dates that work for us. Just one of our least fav domestic ports. But if all else works, hey, we can manage sailing from there.

Enjoy your cruise.....:D

The transfer is excellent, and as I said very efficient. ;)

I even took the first one and was in the DR for lunch by 12:15. :D

$22 p/p one way, seems like a good deal.

Do we pre-purchase the transfers voucher prior to the cruise? Or walk up to purchase at Princess desk at airport?

Is it on a Princess bus shuttle? So we wait until the shuttle is full before leaving?

BTW: anything worth seeing in the city of Houston? Thinking maybe a few days pre or post cruise? What is the best transportation from/to airport to downtown? Approximate costs? And from downtown to/from cruise port?

Thank you.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

And approximate cost?

Thanks.

Last time we sailed out of Houston, we stayed at a Marriott by Hobby the night before. Due to the consulting work my husband was doing I wanted to make things as simple and unstressed as possible for him (very tight time deadline), so I ordered a private limo from the hotel to the port. It was a little more than the Princess transfer, but we didn't have to get back to the airport and then get on the Princess transfer. I think including tip it was about $65. If you are flying in the day before (which is not a bad idea given the fog issues) you might want to look into this option.

There are some new itineraries this fall and winter.....a little better than the usual Cozumel, Roatan, Belize...

eclue:rolleyes:

We're doing an Eastern Caribbean in February 2016 RT from Houston: Key West, Freeport, Princess Cays. They are doing this itinerary 2x from Houston, as well as a partial transit Panama Canal. Maybe not that exciting for people used to sailing from Florida, but for those of us that like sailing from Texas it's a nice and welcome change!

We're doing an Eastern Caribbean in February 2016 RT from Houston: Key West, Freeport, Princess Cays. They are doing this itinerary 2x from Houston, as well as a partial transit Panama Canal. Maybe not that exciting for people used to sailing from Florida, but for those of us that like sailing from Texas it's a nice and welcome change!

Seemingly backing up a previous poster, there do not appear to be any cruises departing Houston after April 2016, so for all of you who like sailing Princess from Texas get your fill before then!

Do we pre-purchase the transfers voucher prior to the cruise? Or walk up to purchase at Princess desk at airport?

Is it on a Princess bus shuttle? So we wait until the shuttle is full before leaving?

BTW: anything worth seeing in the city of Houston? Thinking maybe a few days pre or post cruise? What is the best transportation from/to airport to downtown? Approximate costs? And from downtown to/from cruise port?

Thank you.

I would have them added to your booking.

That way your name will be on the transfer list when you arrive in bag claim.

Its a chartered bus company that handles the transfer, (passengers only).

Your luggage is taken from you in the bag claim and loaded on a truck that is outside the same door you walk to the bus through. You can see them loading the bags. So you will not see your bags again until they arrive in your cabin. Make sure you take carry-ons and medications etc with you on the bus. ;)

Thank you.

I live in Houston so can't comment much on transfers as we are able to drive to port.

In terms of things to do in/around Houston, the Johnson Space Center would probably be the big attraction. We also have a good museum district and a good zoo.

There's also a fair amount of outsider/folk art of thats your thing - the Art Car Museum, Orange Show, and Beer Can House plus quite a few more.

High end shopping is available at The Galleria which also has a large ice skating rink.

I would have them added to your booking.

That way your name will be on the transfer list when you arrive in bag claim.

Its a chartered bus company that handles the transfer, (passengers only).

Your luggage is taken from you in the bag claim and loaded on a truck that is outside the same door you walk to the bus through. You can see them loading the bags. So you will not see your bags again until they arrive in your cabin. Make sure you take carry-ons and medications etc with you on the bus. ;)

Sorry, but I don't recall if you are flying into Bush or Hobby, but be aware that Bush has multiple terminals and if that is where you are planning on picking up the Princess shuttle, just be sure to call Princess to confirm the shuttle location for the day you are arriving. They also assigned a time for us, but we arrived earlier and had no problems getting on another shuttle.

Couple of photos from when CCL used it in 2008 as a fallback when Galveston was closed due to hurricane damage. At the time Houston was barely ready to take the business. I am sure it's better now.

Sorry for the small image size - I don't have these uploaded anywhere.

P1000583.jpg.5ef3508d273c1ae9bd49c27e209e03c8.jpg

P1000585.jpg.c674f1b5d5b1aed4a22c366832d47ccc.jpg

We sailed out of Houston in December.

The best embarkment port experience in our 7 cruises - Seriously! From the porter that took our luggage day one, to the Customs person on the way out - everyone was friendly.

Fastest check-in and boarding EVER! From the time we turned into the port at the T in the road and got into the traffic line where we could see the ship, until we were in our cabin was less than an hour. (it could have been less, but it took hubby 15min to park after dropping me & luggage at curb)

The line moved so fast people were having trouble keeping up.

Workers were saying - "This way, the faster you get through, the faster your vacation starts."