Priceline - Marriott Hotels Sydney

Following ArizonaRalphie's example, I was also able to get the 5* Marriott Sydney Harbour for $150 for the three nights (Feb. 17-20) following our Mercury Cruise. This morning I just did 2 more nights for when we are ready to fly back from Australia (February 24 - 26). Decided to try for the 4* Marriott - at Hyde Park - and bid somewhat less. Got it for $135 per night.

JUST IN CASE anyone is looking for Sydney hotels thought this might be interesting.;)

Following ArizonaRalphie's example, I was also able to get the 5* Marriott Sydney Harbour for $150 for the three nights (Feb. 17-20) following our Mercury Cruise. This morning I just did 2 more nights for when we are ready to fly back from Australia (February 24 - 26). Decided to try for the 4* Marriott - at Hyde Park - and bid somewhat less. Got it for $135 per night.

JUST IN CASE anyone is looking for Sydney hotels thought this might be interesting.;)

Well you KNOW I was leery of using Priceline..so went in this morning before I saw this...put in $135 knowing it would be too low..then came up no--of course--and wanted to know if I wanted to add $22 to it right then..so I did--ok--so I got it $7 more each night than you did (157)--but it took it..so I AM happy--shoot I was willing to go for the priceline one not bidding for 218...so for my first time at Priceline it didn't hurt..now to hunt down a hotel and area in Auckland..anyone have any ideas? Isn't as important tho want to be in the middle of the main areas to see things.

So looks like alot of us will be here--funny how they will take that lower price--does that just mean they are that over priced? You'll be there before us & maybe get an upgrade to a better room?

Well you KNOW I was leery of using Priceline..so went in this morning before I saw this...put in $135 knowing it would be too low..then came up no--of course--and wanted to know if I wanted to add $22 to it right then..so I did--ok--so I got it $7 more each night than you did (157)--but it took it..so I AM happy--shoot I was willing to go for the priceline one not bidding for 218...so for my first time at Priceline it didn't hurt..now to hunt down a hotel and area in Auckland..anyone have any ideas? Isn't as important tho want to be in the middle of the main areas to see things.

Funny how they will take that lower price--does that just mean they are that over priced?

Well tried to edit the last message about you being there before us--I was thinking Jan 17th & you are on a different cruise--Sorry..aw well at least we all got what we wanted

We are just back from our Sydney trip and we used Priceline for the Marriott Circular Quay. We got the room for $150 a night, it is a great hotel and you can walk to the cruise ship. We upgraded our room so we could check in at 06:30 AM and got a room overlooking the Opera House.

We are just back from our Sydney trip and we used Priceline for the Marriott Circular Quay. We got the room for $150 a night, it is a great hotel and you can walk to the cruise ship. We upgraded our room so we could check in at 06:30 AM and got a room overlooking the Opera House.

Thanks for the report that you were pleased with the hotel. May I ask how much they charged to upgrade to the rooms with a harbour view? Did it also include the "club" privileges? TIA.

Thanks for the report that you were pleased with the hotel. May I ask how much they charged to upgrade to the rooms with a harbour view? Did it also include the "club" privileges? TIA.

The upgrade was $50 a night. Since we arrived at 06:30 AM and we were tired I was more than eager to pay the upgrade. Our regular room wouldn't have been ready until around 1PM, but they do have a hospitality suite for people arriving early.

The views from the non-upgraded rooms were of the Harbour Bridge which wasn't bad either.

Not sure about the "club privileges"?

The upgrade was $50 a night. Since we arrived at 06:30 AM and we were tired I was more than eager to pay the upgrade. Our regular room wouldn't have been ready until around 1PM, but they do have a hospitality suite for people arriving early.

The views from the non-upgraded rooms were of the Harbour Bridge which wasn't bad either.

Not sure about the "club privileges"?

Thanks so much for the reply. If the upgrade included anything other than the view, it was indeed a bargain. (Even if it was only the view and early check-in, it was a good deal.) We upgraded our priceline London hotel (Copthorne Tara) and it was definitely worth the difference. It was GBP 35 (almost $70) more, but included breakfast, internet, a much nicer room and evening "happy hour". Since the room had only been $76 per night originally, it was more than worth the upgrade cost.

Thanks so much for the reply. If the upgrade included anything other than the view, it was indeed a bargain. (Even if it was only the view and early check-in, it was a good deal.) We upgraded our priceline London hotel (Copthorne Tara) and it was definitely worth the difference. It was GBP 35 (almost $70) more, but included breakfast, internet, a much nicer room and evening "happy hour". Since the room had only been $76 per night originally, it was more than worth the upgrade cost.

If we get an offer for upgrade (I hope) we'll take it also--would LOVE a view of the harbour--only one problem with an early check in---DON'T lay down to rest for a short time....seems that those that do sleep along time--will need to go see the city--walking around & hoping to stay up til an early bedtime--usually if I sleep when I wake I am usually into the local time zone--course most of that is going to Europe & not WEST AND south--just a shower & clean clothes will do.

If they don't offer, don't hesitate to ask if there is any possibility of upgrading (paid or nonpaid), Often, they are happy to oblige.:D

And, if you aren't already members, do apply for the free Marriott Rewards membership (on their website). Sometimes that also helps in getting a better room -- even with a priceline purchase.

If they don't offer, don't hesitate to ask if there is any possibility of upgrading (paid or nonpaid), Often, they are happy to oblige.:D

And, if you aren't already members, do apply for the free Marriott Rewards membership (on their website). Sometimes that also helps in getting a better room -- even with a priceline purchase.

Now would that Rewards thing work for our Alaska cruise in Sept?--we HAVE a room booked there--what/how does it work?--or should I have had it before booking either of them? If I signup on Sydney one--will it still be on the Vancouver one?--Or go to Vancouver one first & it hsosuld be in the system?

Went online & is it the Frequent Guest thing? Or Rewards?

Now would that Rewards thing work for our Alaska cruise in Sept?--we HAVE a room booked there--what/how does it work?--or should I have had it before booking either of them? If I signup on Sydney one--will it still be on the Vancouver one?--Or go to Vancouver one first & it hsosuld be in the system?

Went online & is it the Frequent Guest thing? Or Rewards?

The membership card is called Marriott Rewards and can be issued anytime. Doesn't cost anything and may not get you any perks, but it certainly can't hurt. Fill out the simple application form and you'll get the card by mail. Just present it anytime you check into a Marriott (or any of their other brands) hotel - not necessary when making the reservation, although sometimes a special rate. Start collecting points -- just like frequent flyer miles. These types of membership are available from all major (and some minor) hotel chains - Hilton, Wyndham, Hyatt, Best Western, Starwood, Radisson etc. Just like supermarket cards!!:D

The membership card is called Marriott Rewards and can be issued anytime. Doesn't cost anything and may not get you any perks, but it certainly can't hurt. Fill out the simple application form and you'll get the card by mail. Just present it anytime you check into a Marriott (or any of their other brands) hotel - not necessary when making the reservation, although sometimes a special rate. Start collecting points -- just like frequent flyer miles. These types of membership are available from all major (and some minor) hotel chains - Hilton, Wyndham, Hyatt, Best Western, Starwood, Radisson etc. Just like supermarket cards!!:D

OK did the paper work--have an number & will "flash" it to them in Canada in Sept...as you say can't hurt..worst case is we get nothing--which we have already.:D

hi,

to any of you planning, and those of you who have already booked this hotel with priceline...

what a great find...it's amazing that priceline uses it...

we just returned from a cruise that began in sydney (we went in one week early to tour sydney) and ended four weeks later in los angeles...

having stayed for almost a week at the marriott..i have only wonderful things to say about this hotel... we up-graded to the bridge view for $30 a night..worth every cent...

you can walk to The Rocks area, the opera house and from there to the botanical gardens....the ferry terminal to go on a ferry to other nearby areas (we went to manly beach) is three blocks away....the exlorer hop-on---hop-off bus starts and stops across from the ferry terminal....the train station is right next to the ferry terminal...THE LOCATION OF THIS HOTEL IS FABULOUS....

as with most hotels of this caliber, the price of breakfast is very high....sooooooooooooo right next to the hotel is the Alpha Cafe a great choice for breakfast or even lunch...

at the area of the ferry terminal is another good place for breakfast and there is a starbucks right there also....

hope this has been helpful

shelley

hi,

to any of you planning, and those of you who have already booked this hotel with priceline...

what a great find...it's amazing that priceline uses it...

we just returned from a cruise that began in sydney (we went in one week early to tour sydney) and ended four weeks later in los angeles...

having stayed for almost a week at the marriott..i have only wonderful things to say about this hotel... we up-graded to the bridge view for $30 a night..worth every cent...

you can walk to The Rocks area, the opera house and from there to the botanical gardens....the ferry terminal to go on a ferry to other nearby areas (we went to manly beach) is three blocks away....the exlorer hop-on---hop-off bus starts and stops across from the ferry terminal....the train station is right next to the ferry terminal...THE LOCATION OF THIS HOTEL IS FABULOUS....

as with most hotels of this caliber, the price of breakfast is very high....sooooooooooooo right next to the hotel is the Alpha Cafe a great choice for breakfast or even lunch...

at the area of the ferry terminal is another good place for breakfast and there is a starbucks right there also....

hope this has been helpful

shelley

Hi Shelley,

Had you also gotten the hotel on a priceline win - or had you booked regularly? Did they offer the "upgrade for purchase" or did you inquire about it? Was your cruise a Sydney round-trip or did you end in Auckland? And if you ended up in Auckland, what hotel did you use there and how was the stay?

Sorry about all the questions.:o TIA for the information -- so glad you had a wonderful trip.

Shelley:

Just read your post and have some questions. We too have a reservation at the Marriott and have the "Harbour Bridge" view room. My question concerns this *view*......can you see much of the harbour as well? (I know there is another building that blocks some of this.)

We have paid for the *up-grade* to a waterview room and have a choice of the "Opera House & Harbour view" OR the " Harbour Bridge" view. Since we will be there on New Year's Eve, we chose the bridge for the best view of the fireworks. Just wondering what we might be giving up by not choosing the "Opera House & Harbour view".

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in this wonderful city......and recommend the Marriott for those of us who are anticipating our stay there. :)

Thanks!

Hi Shelley,

Had you also gotten the hotel on a priceline win - or had you booked regularly? Did they offer the "upgrade for purchase" or did you inquire about it? Was your cruise a Sydney round-trip or did you end in Auckland? And if you ended up in Auckland, what hotel did you use there and how was the stay?

Sorry about all the questions.:o TIA for the information -- so glad you had a wonderful trip.

Well I will await the answers of those questions you asked...:D I'm still wondering tho--if it says (an upgrade) bridge or water--how much of it a person actually "sees"? Aw well once there it really doesn't matter I suppose--just go walking...

Would like to ask a couple of questions of the cruisers that have used Priceline.

1. Has your experience been that the bidding price that is accepted farther from the date requested been any cheaper? IE: Bidding one year away and getting a price of $150.00 versus bidding two months from the date and having to bid $160.00 per night.?

2. Has anyone had to cancel this arrangement? Do you lose all of the amount?

Treading into the unknown and would like some encouragement.

Snowbird

I tried to cancel a reservation through Priceline and they would not give me a refund or move me to another location. I found out the hotel they had reserved for me had horrible reviews. It was the Best Western in Halladale FL. Priceline's area maps are a little deceiving to me. I asked for Hollywood FL and that was what I got. I looked it up on TA and read reviews about bed bugs, strip club next door, unsafe neighborhood, etc. I called Priceline to voice my concerns, then ended up emailing one of their supervisors. Didn't do me any good, they were not concerned about my welfare or making me happy. So, I booked another room, in Hollywood, direct from the hotel, and it has great reviews. Lesson learned, $$ lost, I will never use Priceline again.

hi sharon,

my husband had read somewhere that priceline usually uses the marriot sydney harbor hotel as their only 5 star hotel in sydney. this was the first time we had ever used priceline for a hotel.

he first bid $125 and was turned down by priceline....he then bid $130 per night and was again turned down..

his third bid of $135 was accepted......

when we checked in we asked about our room and were told that it a city view room on a low floor.we asked about operahouse or bridge views on upper floors

only the bridge view was available for $30 per night on the 27th floor.....which we took..

our cruise was 29 days fron sydney,auckland(5 stops in auckland), fiji, american samoa, the cook islands, bora bora, tahiti, honolulu, hilo, and ending in los angeles

with many sea days in-between the stops.

if you nedd any info on auckland stops let me know.

take care,

shelley

hi,

at check-in we asked about various views...the harbor bridge view was available and we took it.

sorry, but we don't know anyone who had a view of the opera house.

from our room we were able to see the entire bridge and the area called "the rocks".. our room number was 2717...

hope that's helpful.

shelley

Well I will await the answers of those questions you asked...:D I'm still wondering tho--if it says (an upgrade) bridge or water--how much of it a person actually "sees"? Aw well once there it really doesn't matter I suppose--just go walking...

I tried uploading the pics I took from the hotel window, but they wouldn't upload, must be too large for this site.

We had 5 nights in the Opera House harbour view room, you can see down the harbour and the Opera House.

We returned to the Marriott after our Cairns trip and we got the Bridge View room, you can see all of the bridge, the Rocks area and the cruise terminal. The Sapphire Princess was docked at the terminal and you could see half of the ship.

M&A: Thanks for the information.

So now I have the dilemma....a beautiful view of the Opera House and Harbour for 13 nights but no Harbour Bridge view of the fireworks on New Year's Eve......OR......decisions, decisions....:)

Archived