Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Roatan

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old December 6th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tabyana Beach, Palancar Reef, Lamania Ruins?

We're signed up for these shore excursions on our Feb. West. Caribbean cruise. Anyone been on these recently? Does Tabyana Beach (Roatan) have helmet snuba? Is the reef close to swim to? Other water things to rent?

Palancar Reef (Cozumel) - worth it? Playa Mia nice or a circus? Our 12 year old daughter and her friend will be with us.

Lamanai ruins in Belize?

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 7th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've never been on the Tabyana excursion so I don't know about the helmet dives, but the reef is very close to the beach- no problems swimming there at all.

Old December 7th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

The reef at Tabyana is too shallow for helmut dives. It is very close to the beech. Do not recall seeing other things to rent.

When I was there they were very focused on taking care of the reef. They have people out making sure people were not standing on the coral.

Old December 7th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Tabyana has snuba. We did it and enjoyed it. Took us into 15 foot depth. We did the
Lamanai ruins. It is a full exhausting day but would recommend if it interests you and you are in general physical shape for the walk.

Old December 7th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

thank you! I guess I meant snuba and not helmet dives... whatever it is in the pictures of people in their bathing suits with a helmet on their head attached to an air hose and not very far down. We figured we'd do snorkeling/beachy things in Cozumel and Roatan and give the girls (and ourselves) some "culture" with the Lamanai Mayan tour. Glad to hear the reef at Tabyana is close and that they care for it to keep people from walking on it.

Any other tips for any of these excursions welcome! Were their hustlers trying to hawk things? Food/drink (assume can't drink with ice)? I've read/heard to also bring lots of insect repellent?

Old December 7th, 2013, 06:42 PM
10,000+ Club

You can get tons of info re all your ports of call on the Caribbean ports of call board.

Cross your fingers re stopping at Roatan. We won't cruise Princess when needing a Roatan fix. Their pier is too difficult on windy days for some Captains to navigate safely. Good Luck. West Bay Beach ( where Tabyana is) is one of our favorites. Walk in snorkeling that is easy and amazing.

Last edited by eandj; December 7th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.

Old December 7th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you take the ship excursion to West Bay/Tabyana you won't be bothered too much by the vendors until you walk out toward the other part of the beach.
We did spray ourselves at each stop, but really weren't bothered much by fleas or mosquitos. Could be the time of year.
We just got back from this itinerary and I think you have a good plan. I will be posting a review over in the specific port board soon.