Review: Tui Melodia “Elegant Danube” Cruise and tour Sept 16-30, 2013

marysb

KJV,

Bob lived on Halama Street in Kihea and he moved in 2000.

We are hoping the sofa bed is comfortable and we are trying to figure out where we will place our luggage since we can not slide it under the bed. You may want to check out the requirements for the luggage carry on from YMT. The carry on size is 12 by 11 by 6 inches, they also said the carry on can not have wheels.

Valerie

If you haven't already, check out TripAdvisor and scroll down a few. There is quite a lengthy post. Not bad.

I just replied to it asking about storage (although the post said it had plenty) and how comfortable the sofa bed was.

I've never seen a ship with sofa beds. Especially with lower rooms being so much larger with regular beds. Had that been explained to me I probably would have passed.

There is a Gate 1 cruise on October 8 for 12 days (with about the same itinerary) for $4,898 for 2 persons. Better hotels and I have travelled with Gate 1 and they are good. They don't get bad reviews like YMT.

I guess we hope for the best......

Fortunately I was wrong about the Melodia.

The Upper decks all have French balconies, the doors open and the bed is stationary, not a pullout. The rooms are 161 sq ft.

Sorry for any confusion I might have created.....

Yes indeed it's the Melodia for 2014.

After reading all the reviews I am so looking forward to my cruise in September 2014. The pictures included in some of the reviews are amazing.

On past cruises we were able to bring wine, etc. onto the ship after completing a land tour. Is this possible on the Tui Melodia. It sounds like the alcohol on the ship is reasonably priced so it probably is a moot point.

Still looking forward to the cruise in a few weeks now.

Hi We are also going on the cruise in Sept. 2014. This will be our 1st river cruise and I have lots of questions. Thanks to everyone who has posted about their 2013 Danube cruise. I think our cruise might be similar. I want to know what side trips you really need to take and what towns you can do on your own. Thanks!

Hi everyone- glad you enjoyed the review. Looks like YMT is only using the tui Melodia for the fall 2014 tour. In 2015, they have switched to Rosa. The Rosa ships are stunning to look at on the river. Hopefully the interior is just as nice.

Fortunately I was wrong about the Melodia.

The Upper decks all have French balconies, the doors open and the bed is stationary, not a pullout. The rooms are 161 sq ft.

Sorry for any confusion I might have created.....

Yes indeed it's the Melodia for 2014.

There are a few sofa beds on the top deck, but mostly the full beds as in my photos on page 1

Hi everyone- glad you enjoyed the review. Looks like YMT is only using the tui Melodia for the fall 2014 tour. In 2015, they have switched to Rosa. The Rosa ships are stunning to look at on the river. Hopefully the interior is just as nice.

It's "A-ROSA," a German river cruise line that is now beginning to market some cruises to English-speaking passengers. Here's Cruise Critic's review of their ship "Aqua":

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=725

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

kjv,

We are wondering if they have a formal night and how we should pack.

Valerie and Bob (mauiwindsurfer)

There is no formal night. People dressed quite casually on this cruise. People would "clean up" for dinner, but no suits, dresses, ties.

I brought a skirt to wear a few nights, but I was probably the only one in a skirt or dress. A pair of dress pants and some nice tops for the ladies, and dockers and polo or button down shirt for the men.

During the day, comfortable walking clothes or jeans are fine. Bring layers: - t-shirts, long sleeved t-shirts, cardigans/ hoodies, and a light rain jacket.

Hi We are also going on the cruise in Sept. 2014. This will be our 1st river cruise and I have lots of questions. Thanks to everyone who has posted about their 2013 Danube cruise. I think our cruise might be similar. I want to know what side trips you really need to take and what towns you can do on your own. Thanks!

If you are taking the YMT trip, all tours on the land portion are included: Munich, Neuschwanstein, Prague City Tour, Passau walking tour, Oktorberfest.

On the cruise the tours were optional: I really like this because it gave you choices ... and the original trip was a lower price than say a Viking Cruise, so You only pay for the trips you want ....and when you are toured out, you can feel comfortable just walking around town. All tours had the "whisperer" audio system headphones so you could hear the guides.

The tours we bought from the ship were:

Melk Abbey

Vienna City Tour

Schonbrunn Palace, Vienna

Budapest City tour

Some tours people really liked that we didn't do were:

budapest by night (the buildings are beautiful at night) and the Horse show in Budapest.

We walked around the old towns of Ezstergom and Linz, and did the Budapest Market on our own and enjoyed the free time.

you can see what we did in our tour photo book http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/i...?vk=759PD8gn7A

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mary,

We are scheduled on the October 2014 Elegant Danube cruise/tour, and I can't thank you enough for your thorough review.

My main concern has been the absent of general arrival and departure times at cities along the Danube in YMT trip information. I find this crucial if we decide to pursue an independent area tour. Thank you for providing that!

Did you speak with anyone on your tour who did the "trails of the Sound of Music" from Linz? The description of the tour is a little vague, and I'm wondering if time is spent in Salzburg, or only on the outskirts. We were in Salzburg last year, and its not to be missed.

Thank you. Your pictures were fabulous too! :)

Muri

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Muri,

You can find the port times in the very first post ( in the blue box). This was the schedule for last year, ... not sure if the route has changed. I got those times from the TUI website.

All the people that went to Salzburg had a great time. It was a bit rushed as they didn't dock in Linz until 2:30 or so. Yes,they got right into Salzburg. We didn't go on that tour as we had been to Salzburg and wanted to explore Linz.

Let me know if you have more questions .... You will have a great trip. It is a good cruise tour.....Rothenburg and Prague were highlights too.

Hello Mary,

We are scheduled on the October 2014 Elegant Danube cruise/tour, and I can't thank you enough for your thorough review.

My main concern has been the absent of general arrival and departure times at cities along the Danube in YMT trip information. I find this crucial if we decide to pursue an independent area tour. Thank you for providing that!

Muri

Muri, I found the 2014 elegant danube port schedule. Scroll down to page 8 of the site. I think this is the info you need. There May be some more detail on the excursion s here too.http://www.tui-incoming.at/workspace/uploads/pdf/tuirivercruise_en.pdf

Mary

• 4 weeks later...
Muri, I found the 2014 elegant danube port schedule. Scroll down to page 8 of the site. I think this is the info you need. There May be some more detail on the excursion s here too.http://www.tui-incoming.at/workspace/uploads/pdf/tuirivercruise_en.pdf

Mary

Thanks for the info. I have printed out the schedule that you described. I have another question.

When you are on the land portion of this tour, does your bus arrive at a reasonable time in late afternoon? I am hoping to preplan some evening activities in Prague. Most begin around 6p.m., especially if you want to do a dinner/concert or dinner/river cruise.

Thanks for your input.

Muri

Thanks for the info. I have printed out the schedule that you described. I have another question.

When you are on the land portion of this tour, does your bus arrive at a reasonable time in late afternoon? I am hoping to preplan some evening activities in Prague. Most begin around 6p.m., especially if you want to do a dinner/concert or dinner/river cruise.

Thanks for your input.

Muri

When we arrived in Prague the first night, we arrived rather late ...8,9 pm. I think there was some traffic problems and the Hotel is in the suburbs.

The next day, we had a city tour that went early morning until about 1pm. After that was free time.

Bring your walking shoes for Prague. You will start at Prague Castle and walk all the way down over the Charles Bridge and into the old town square and Jewish Quarter.

We had lunch in the old town square and then we were given the option of going back on the bus or staying in town and exploring some more. We stayed and then took a taxi back to the hotel. Cant remember the price but it was fairly reasonable ...about $15 I think. You will have the evening free.

... and then the next morning you are on the bus on your way to Passau!

You will LOVE Prague.

Mary

• 4 weeks later...