Gate1 Danube Cruise

accent505

We just returned from a ten day, Budapest to Prague, cruise with Gate1.

There actually were seven of us who booked this trip.

I was a bit apprehensive about Gate1 since its prices were so much lower than other cruise lines.

All loved the ship, the tours, the food, and the staff.

It is not what I would call a luxury cruise ship (Amadaus Royal) but was very clean and comfy and really lacked nothing.

The food was always excellent, both the buffet breakfast and lunch, as well as the sit down evening meal.

I would not hesitate to book with Gate1 again.

I hope this helps those who, like us, were so apprehensive about this tour operator. Book with them, sit back, and enjoy.

We just returned from a ten day, Budapest to Prague, cruise with Gate1.

There actually were seven of us who booked this trip.

I was a bit apprehensive about Gate1 since its prices were so much lower than other cruise lines.

All loved the ship, the tours, the food, and the staff.

It is not what I would call a luxury cruise ship (Amadaus Royal) but was very clean and comfy and really lacked nothing.

The food was always excellent, both the buffet breakfast and lunch, as well as the sit down evening meal.

I would not hesitate to book with Gate1 again.

I hope this helps those who, like us, were so apprehensive about this tour operator. Book with them, sit back, and enjoy.

Our first river cruise (the Rhine) was also with Gate 1 and had the same experience. Would not hesitate to book with them again. Our itineraries have not matched what they currently offer or we would have returned.

Cole

Thanks for the post, Accent. I have found a Gate 1 river cruise/land tour itinerary that is really appealing and only available with them, but like you I'm apprehensive since the reviews are all over the map. Because of your review I'm more likely to book it next year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hi Stratheden:

Breakfast and lunch were both buffets, with the usual breakfast fare for Europe; lots of meats, cheeses, fruits, etc. as well as eggs bacon, sausage.

The bread was fantastic with many choices; we found out that they bake their own bread on board as well as all their pastries. Pastries at lunch and dinner were always great. They also served pastries at 4 pm in the lounge.

Lunch always had three entrees on the buffet as well as many salads as well as the cold meat and cheeses. We felt that there was more than enough choice.

Dinner always started with an appetizer then followed by a soup/salad and then three entrees to choose from. We did not ask if we could have something other than what was on the menu (like on an ocean cruise) so I dont know if that is possible.

There were seven of us travelling and there was at least one entree that appealed to each of us. There always was a fish entree. Hope that is enough information for you. If not, let me know.

Accent

Accent,

Thank you for the positive review. We are doing their 17 day tour/river cruise this September on the Royal (and my parents are doing the Prague to Budapest cruise). We, like everyone else, were a bit nervous about the river cruise, but loved the itinerary with the 17 day trip. Since this will be our first river cruise, I have nothing to compare it to, so I am sure I will be impressed.

Can you tell me if Gate 1 offered tours for people that are physically fit and also tours for those that might need a bit more time to get around than others, or did everyone tour together in the mornings?

One more question: are you allowed to bring wine that you purchased during the day to the dining room at dinner? If so, do you know what they charge for a corking fee? (How are the complimentary wines that they serve with dinner)?

Accent,

Thank you for the positive review. We are doing their 17 day tour/river cruise this September on the Royal (and my parents are doing the Prague to Budapest cruise). We, like everyone else, were a bit nervous about the river cruise, but loved the itinerary with the 17 day trip. Since this will be our first river cruise, I have nothing to compare it to, so I am sure I will be impressed.

Can you tell me if Gate 1 offered tours for people that are physically fit and also tours for those that might need a bit more time to get around than others, or did everyone tour together in the mornings?

One more question: are you allowed to bring wine that you purchased during the day to the dining room at dinner? If so, do you know what they charge for a corking fee? (How are the complimentary wines that they serve with dinner)?

Lori A, is your trip from Warsaw to Prague? If so, that is the itinerary we are looking into for 2015. I'm most anxious to hear about the trip after you return!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Marigold-

Actually we are doing the Danube cruise with Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. We tour for 9 or 10 days and then are on the river cruise from Nuremberg to Budapest. My parents are going to Prague for a couple of days and then will meet us in Nuremberg for the cruise. Since we normally ocean cruise, it will be nice to see some of the interior of Europe.

Hi lori:

No one in our group even considered bringing our own wines to dinner.

There was always unlimited red and white wine and beer.

Actually, everyone found the wines at dinner very good. There was only one red that someone said could be better, of all the wines that we tried.

I dont know if they make any adjustments for anyone not quite able to keep up with the tour.

All the tours were basically easy walking tours. The only one which one may want to question is the Nuremburg tour. The end of the tour is a forty minute walk down from the top of the castle. My wife and I did it and had few problems even though our old ankles and knees are not as good as they once were.

Hope this helps

Thank you, Accent, for the quick reply. Glad to hear the wines served with dinner are palatable. Also nice to hear that the walking tours aren't too vigorous. We took my parents to Paris last year and they managed to walk around the city (a bit more slowly than they used to), but did fine. With regards to Nuremburg- walking down hill is a LOT easier than walking up hill. Getting excited with less than three months to go! Thanks again for answering my questions.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the review. We are going on the Royal in September with extra days in Prague pre-cruise and Budapest post-cruise. We have been on big cruise liners before and this will be our first river cruise.

Is there laundry service on board? Is there free wifi? Any other tips for first-timers? Thanks!

Edited by klouie2000

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Klouie

There is no laundry facilities on board. You really have to do it when you get to your last stop.

WiFi is available only in the lounge, but reception was good. We just took our tablets and did our thing.

I think three days in Prague was enough for us, but it is a beautiful city, so if you have longer, you will enjoy it.

We stayed three days in Budapest pre-cruise, not part of the Gate1 package.

We loved Budapest also; it seemed not as touristy as Prague and definitely much less expensive.

Enjoy your cruise and your city tours

accent

Thank you, Accent505, for the information. Counting down the days before our trip. :D

Hi Klouie

There is no laundry facilities on board. You really have to do it when you get to your last stop.

WiFi is available only in the lounge, but reception was good. We just took our tablets and did our thing.

I think three days in Prague was enough for us, but it is a beautiful city, so if you have longer, you will enjoy it.

We stayed three days in Budapest pre-cruise, not part of the Gate1 package.

We loved Budapest also; it seemed not as touristy as Prague and definitely much less expensive.

Enjoy your cruise and your city tours

accent