Amsterdam/Budapest: Best guidebooks and maps?

Ukalady

And let's add iOS apps to it, to complete my wish list, please!

Which guidebooks would you suggest for this itinerary? I'm looking for:

--Kindle or eBook version *very* much preferred

--History/culture info is strongly desired

--Restaurants/things to do info is somewhat desired

--Hotels/hostel info not really needed (hopefully we'll be on the ship the whole time!)

Which maps would you suggest for this itinerary?

--I have the app, River Cruise Info, and have downloaded the maps from it.

--I also have the "Cities Guide" TripAdvisor app and have downloaded it.

--I'd really like a "hard copy" map, though, ideally of the whole region we'll be covering so I can get a big-view perspective. I'm guessing that's not available, though (or is it?) so what can you suggest? If multiple maps, which would be best? FYI, we're doing both the Amsterdam pre-trip and the Budapest post-trip options.

Which iOS apps (iPad and iPhone) would you suggest for this itinerary?

--While I hope to be able to use wifi easily on ship, a priority on apps is the ability to download and use off-roaming so I can use my "data turned off" iPhone while off-boat.

--Offline translation app suggestion especially needed.

I already have these apps:

--Word Lens (that one is absolutely amazing! But it's an online thing...at least I think it is...)

--Rick Steves' Audio Europe (podcasts)

--iTranslate

--LP Fast Talk

--IAmsterdam

--Oanda currency

Mahalo!

Edited by Ukalady
Clarity

Hauling electronic devices while on tour just does not work and you set yourself up to be a target of pickpockets (or worse).

We get Rick Steve's guides and study extensively before leaving, take pages out for ease of use while touring... His are very current and a good base to start from. We sometimes use Foder's but always seem to go back to RS.

Note: kindles or ebooks it's just too hard to flip back and forth trying to find what your looking for.... JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Makes sense--I was more planning on all the electronic versions being things I can read/study/enjoy pre-travel as well as in the evenings/early mornings aboard ship.

I just don't carry physical books much these days--especially when wandering about (in fact, I don't plan on carrying anything except my camera and the day's money--and lipstick!). Except maps--I *love* maps in hand. I guess that's the backpacker in me.

That's why I rip up the RS books and take the sections I need... We have been lost so often in places like Istanbul and it saved time and much frustration. Because trips are so short in each city I found the info and knowledge in his books great to read in advance ... And no I don't haul a tin of books with me either.... Thank god for my Kindle!

E versions just don't seem to have the maps, pictures that the actual books do and I mark those up with hi-liter and tabs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

Hello Ukalady,

previous posters have said that the ships give out small maps in the respective towns and offer lots of information. I have not heard of a map that covers the Grand European Tour in one.

Some of the places you will see have very good websites in English. This one looks promising as well, a tourist board website covering the Main river:

http://www.mainriver.de/?sprache=en

For a map of the Rhine try getting this, either at home or in a local tourist shop or bookshop near or on the Rhine:

The long Rhine tour

by Rahmel-Verlag

ISBN 978-3-926526-52-6

or for the Middle Rhine (including the Gorge):

THE RHINE

Middle Rhine from Mainz to Cologne

by Rahmel-Verlag

ISBN 978-3-926526-01-4

or for the castles:

CASTLES ON THE RHINE

from Mainz to Cologne

by Rahmel-Verlag

ISBN 978-3-930885-37-4

I hope the ISBN are correct.

Please note the stretch that your tour covers is Mainz to somewhere before Amsterdam. I do not know where the ships leave the Rhine and its canals to go North to Amsterdam. The mouth of the Rhine is in Rotterdam.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Kudos to you for taking advantage of all that new technology has to offer. We utilize our smart phones everywhere, IMHO, they are smaller and more user friendly than any guidebook or paper map. Pulling out a phone does not mark you as a tourist - you'll blend in easier than if you are pulling out pages from a guidebook, lol! Besides, the locals and pickpockets can spot a tourist miles away. Glad to see you have the Rick Steve's audio podcasts. We've used them on a couple of trips and they are superior to most guided tours we experienced. He is a wealth of knowledge and we love that you can follow his tours entirely at your own pace, Other than the informational podcasts, you'll need yo have your device with you when you are touring (our phones are much less cumbersome that the audio devices from the ship.) The Oanda Currency app was very useful, before disembarking be sure to switch it to the local currency onboard while you have wireless. There is a great map app that works without wireless, once you download the desired cities. I'll look for it. We never used the translation app as it just wasn't necessary, English was widely spoken.

For a hard copy map we like the Streetwise brand. We ordered maps for our major ports before our trip, and never once used them!

I agree with sippican. There are a lot of good map/city guide apps for smart phones. One nice thing about GPS is that you can easily found out where you are! Sometimes that's not as simple as it might seem with a paper map. Make sure that you get one that lets you download maps before you leave so that you don't have to use data roaming.

I've used several. Tripso has country guides with decent maps. Tripadvisor also has an app with downloadable maps. City Walk is another good provider.

If T-Mobile is your cell provider, some of their plans do not charge for international data and text use.

Have a great cruise. We look forward to getting your reports!

FuelScience

After six river cruises with four other lines in Europe, I have splurged and will try Tauck this time. I just received information from them that includes a reading guide for my Amsterdam to Budapest cruise in six weeks. They list as essential the following:

• A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor about his walk along this route
  • Mozart, A Life by Paul Johnson
  • Fodor's Amsterdam's 25 Best
  • Lonely Planet Central Europe
  • Central Europe Map by Freytag and Berndt. This actually is a map and not a book title

Their also recommended list includes a mere 19 other books. A few of these are

• Frommer's Vienna Day by Day
  • Prost! The story of German Beer
  • All Along the Rhine: Recipes, Wine, and Lore from Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein and Holland
  • The Danube, A Cultural History
  • The Hungarians, a Thousand Years of Victory in Defeat
  • The Rhine, Culture and Landscape at the Heart of Europe
  • When in Germany, Do as the Germans Do
  • The Hapsburgs, Embodying Empire
  • Birds of Europe

The major drawback to their list is that it is far more extensive than I can read in the next six weeks. Also, the cost of everything would almost pay for another vacation! But, if you have time, your local library could probably get many of these through interlibrary loan.

After six river cruises with four other lines in Europe, I have splurged and will try Tauck this time.

What dates are you cruising. We are cruising with Tauck on the Treasures August 17 from Budapest to Amsterdam arriving on August 31. Have a great cruise!

I had Rick Steves Budapest/Prague on my phone; but the TripAdvisor city apps are the things I used the most. You can look up attractions and restaurants...maps given. It will tell you which metro station and stop to take for different things to see.

After six river cruises with four other lines in Europe, I have splurged and will try Tauck this time.

What dates are you cruising. We are cruising with Tauck on the Treasures August 17 from Budapest to Amsterdam arriving on August 31. Have a great cruise!

Same boat one cruise later in the other direction. So treat her (the boat) nicely.

I'll 2nd the suggestion of Ulmon Pro, City Maps 2 Go!

When we did our Budapest to Amsterdam Cruise last year I downloaded the app and then downloaded maps for many of the cities we were stopping in. Between asking on this board and other searches I was able to determine where the boats docked and could then find it on the map. The maps (which are downloaded to your device with no need for a connection once they're downloaded) were able to be used to help us find our way around when we explored on our own. They allow you to add 'pins' to places you want to navigate to and many of them already have descriptions. Check it out...and no, I'm in no way connected to the app, just thought it was a great tool.

Cheers

Just downloaded the Ulmon Pro, City Maps 2 Go! and it looks great. I'll combine that with the RiverCruise Info app.

I think I'll post an update on the apps I'm taking and why. I guess it's time to "strip" the iPhone so I'll have more room for maps and travel info--bye bye dozens of photos of grand babies! At least for three weeks...

I n preparation for our European Grand Tour Amsterdam to Budapest I just purchased Rick Steve's Europe map. It is water resistant, not too, too big, and not so detailed that you can't find anything because of all the writing. We're hoping it will be just right. m--