dumb QM Princess Grill question(s)

maina

We just received a flyer from Cunard with some tempting Princess Grill pricing on a few 2015 transatlantics. I'd like to maybe try it, in part because of the larger cabins, though husband thinks it's not worth the extra cost over Britannia grade. In all honesty, I think the Britannia dining room is way more attractive than the Grills dining rooms, and we've had good experiences with the food there on two prior transatlantics. I know that there is assigned "anytime" seating in the Grills restaurants for dinner. Here's my ignorance: For breakfast and lunch can you sit elsewhere, as in Britannia, with different people (if you choose to share table)? We really enjoyed getting to meet a variety of people at breakfast and lunch, and would hate the idea of being with the same people for all 3 meals, even if we were compatible and companionable. And, can I assume that Grills passengers can eat in Britannia for breakfast and lunch, since no one ever checked which "category" we were when we entered? I've read that one of the advantages of the Grills dining rooms is a wider opportunity to order "off menu." Since we aren't very fussy, we always found adequate choices on the Britannia menu and didn't feel the need for even more choice.

You have the same table and the same wait staff for every meal in the Grills. Of course you are free to take breakfast and lunch in Britannia whenever you like. In over a dozen cruises in PG or QG, usually at a table for six, we have never, ever, had all the table mates show up for all three meals every day.

We just received a flyer from Cunard with some tempting Princess Grill pricing on a few 2015 transatlantics. I'd like to maybe try it, in part because of the larger cabins, though husband thinks it's not worth the extra cost over Britannia grade. In all honesty, I think the Britannia dining room is way more attractive than the Grills dining rooms, and we've had good experiences with the food there on two prior transatlantics. I know that there is assigned "anytime" seating in the Grills restaurants for dinner. Here's my ignorance: For breakfast and lunch can you sit elsewhere, as in Britannia, with different people (if you choose to share table)? We really enjoyed getting to meet a variety of people at breakfast and lunch, and would hate the idea of being with the same people for all 3 meals, even if we were compatible and companionable. And, can I assume that Grills passengers can eat in Britannia for breakfast and lunch, since no one ever checked which "category" we were when we entered? I've read that one of the advantages of the Grills dining rooms is a wider opportunity to order "off menu." Since we aren't very fussy, we always found adequate choices on the Britannia menu and didn't feel the need for even more choice.

Normally I would recommend that you try the Grills. But if the Britannia open seating for breakfast and lunch is an important part of the QM2 experience for you then it might be a disappointment. In this case the PG dining isn't an advantage.

The other PG advantages are of course the larger room and balcony (great if you spend a lot of time there), the Grills Terrace (an aft covered area good for air in bad weather), Concierge Lounge (one on one attention) and Queens Grill Lounge (afternoon tea with varieties brewed to order).

Only you can decide if those advantages are worth the extra money. But if you do decide to try the PG at a good price there is nothing to keep you from going back to Britannia in the future.

Edited by BlueRiband

One of the advantages of taking all of your meals in the grills dining room is that the staff becomes familiar with all of your needs, likes and dislikes. I like the personalized service you get at every meal. However if your choose not to dine in grills at any point, please let your waiter know in advance.

Enjoy!

The cabins in the PG are not much larger then Britannia. We book PG because we enjoy having our own table and we can eat when we like.
PG cabins on QM2 are 50% wider than Britannia cabins and have a walk-in closet and a 3/4 size tub.

Yes and they are also 50% more then Britannia cruise fares too!!
Yes, PG cabins cost a lot more than Britannia cabins. I like to believe that one gets what one pays for. I think about that when I'm getting tickets in the Concierge Lounge and listening to a recital in the Queens Grill Lounge.

The cabins in the PG are not much larger then Britannia. We book PG because we enjoy having our own table and we can eat when we like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And you get to say hello to me on the way to your table!

J

Yes, PG cabins cost a lot more than Britannia cabins. I like to believe that one gets what one pays for. I think about that when I'm getting tickets in the Concierge Lounge and listening to a recital in the Queens Grill Lounge.

This year we did two crossings. Originally we booked PG e/b intending to fly home which is our custom. But we changed our mind and later booked a w/b crossing. By the time we booked the w/b (six months in advance) the Grills were sold out but we got a Britannia balcony stateroom for less than half what we would have paid if PG had still been available. It was good value and we enjoyed the crossing.

There's no doubt we missed having the Grills lounges and the single-sitting dining. But it was much more enjoyable than flying London-Toronto, especially when we were able to disembark in Halifax and return home on a very comfortable train. As stated above: "one gets what one pays for."

At a tempting price the Grills are certainly something special and I'm sure you would enjoy the experience and be able to make your comparisons on a personal level.

I have tried Grills and Brittania on all three ships and would probably, as my own preference, just pay the extra on QV and QE for the Grills but not on QM2. Although the PG Cabins on QM2 are nicer than QE/QV,I find the restaurants, deck areas and Grills Lounge are much nicer on QE and QV. As you know the QM2 is such a lovely ship and with so much choice of public places and open deck space I'm not sure that it is worth the extra money. Just my opinion, of course, and if you do decide to book PG I hope you enjoy it!

Emily B12--Your comparisons make a lot of sense to me. While we've only been on the QM, I agree that there are so many nice public spaces there that I'm not sure why we would need/want another dedicated lounge or deck area. The main attraction for PG for me would be the cabins and possibly the food, if in fact the food is appreciably better than in Britannia. I don't even particularly care if our waiter gets to know our preferences, or that we have special concierge services. I think I'm talking myself out of trying a Grills experience. :D