Suggestions for Costa Maya for Mitsugirly

mitsugirly

Perhaps you could try 'Cha-Chi'! It is so 'rougue' you could start a new fad! After reading about it several years ago when we booked the inaugural Carnival Magic cruise there (which was unfortunately diverted to Progreso...long story...) I have wanted to go there! I even dreamed about it...:p

However, there are no cruises from Galveston there during the short window of time we can cruise...so, I guess I will just have to keep dreaming!:eek:

But, if you become one of the 'hole in the wall' gang...well, things might change for the better! Think about it~your visit & subsequent review could get the ball rolling &....well...one could only hope...;)

That is now Blue Kay and is located next door to Senior Frogs. It is the place directly next door toward the lighthouse. Beautiful beaches there. The rocky portion downtown turns back to sand just before Frogs and stays that way until just before the lighthouse. Blue Bay was shut down a few months ago?? But opened again as Blue Kay, just painting the B to look like a K on all the signs, and opened back up after a few weeks. Any Blue Kay reviews would be recent. FYI on the Hole In The Wall Thing. There is a new water park going in next to the port and construction is starting this summer. The spot where the hole is will be right at the entrance of that park. The beach there will not be part of the water park, so you never know, that area might be able to come to life again. The property's only legal egress is a long hour jungle drive but perhaps the park will change that.

Perhaps you could try 'Cha-Chi'! It is so 'rougue' you could start a new fad! After reading about it several years ago when we booked the inaugural Carnival Magic cruise there (which was unfortunately diverted to Progreso...long story...) I have wanted to go there! I even dreamed about it...:p

However, there are no cruises from Galveston there during the short window of time we can cruise...so, I guess I will just have to keep dreaming!:eek:

But, if you become one of the 'hole in the wall' gang...well, things might change for the better! Think about it~your visit & subsequent review could get the ball rolling &....well...one could only hope...;)

I'm not sure what Cha-Chi beach is, but for some reason I was thinking that it was mentioned several years ago because someone said it was no longer there? Is this the beach to the immediate right (when getting off the ship) that is no longer there? I recall someone mentioning that it's boarded off or something and people sneak in? Is that the beach you are talking about?

That is now Blue Kay and is located next door to Senior Frogs. It is the place directly next door toward the lighthouse. Beautiful beaches there. The rocky portion downtown turns back to sand just before Frogs and stays that way until just before the lighthouse. Blue Bay was shut down a few months ago?? But opened again as Blue Kay, just painting the B to look like a K on all the signs, and opened back up after a few weeks. Any Blue Kay reviews would be recent. FYI on the Hole In The Wall Thing. There is a new water park going in next to the port and construction is starting this summer. The spot where the hole is will be right at the entrance of that park. The beach there will not be part of the water park, so you never know, that area might be able to come to life again. The property's only legal egress is a long hour jungle drive but perhaps the park will change that.

I did find that it's right next to Senior Frogs and do remember the water being beautiful. Now that I think about it, I remember on our trip to Nohoch, we stopped to let people off there (probably going to Senior Frogs) and I remember my oldest daughter saying "why aren't we going there instead? That looks beautiful there", then we were disappointed with Nohoch after we got there.

I wonder why the name change? I did find some pictures online that had the entrance sign and you could tell it use to be a B and was turned into a K. Weird. Do you know any history about that?

I have been reading reviews on it, but of course most people are reviewing the like cabin huts (with complaints about having water beds in them :p).

I did pull down to google earth and was able to walk the beach right there up and down (seen the sign along the beach saying the name-which is how I located it) and it really looks beautiful there. I think I have found my spot!!!

Now if I can just get an answer from them about booking. I used their "contact" form and haven't heard back from them (it's been about 3 days now). :(

Are you cruising this fall, Mitsugirly? We will be in Costa Maya in January, so I will look forward to seeing your review of this place - thinking we might try it also.

Well to us Ohioan's, it's called winter in November. :D But yes, we will be cruising in November...twice now. :eek:

I am definitely booking this place...if I could just get an answer from them. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Mitsugirly, I wanted to thank you again for your review of Maya Chan. We ended up going there and absolutely LOVED it! Yes, the water has sea grass, but since we mainly floated on chairs and paddled around on kayaks, we didn't mind it that much. What we really loved was the nice, private, huge palapa with the bed, chairs, hammock and swing! So nice!!! We needed shade and definitely got it there. When we first arrived, they assigned us to a small palapa right by the water, but it didn't have a hammock or swing and the bed was out in the sun beside it. I requested a shadier palapa and we got a great one. Of course, if the place had been full when we arrived, they couldn't have moved us, but they were very nice about it and checked back to make sure we were happy. Lunch was very good! If we are ever back in Costa Maya, we would love to go back there! Can't wait to hear about the new place you are going to!

Mitsugirly, I wanted to thank you again for your review of Maya Chan. We ended up going there and absolutely LOVED it! Yes, the water has sea grass, but since we mainly floated on chairs and paddled around on kayaks, we didn't mind it that much. What we really loved was the nice, private, huge palapa with the bed, chairs, hammock and swing! So nice!!! We needed shade and definitely got it there. When we first arrived, they assigned us to a small palapa right by the water, but it didn't have a hammock or swing and the bed was out in the sun beside it. I requested a shadier palapa and we got a great one. Of course, if the place had been full when we arrived, they couldn't have moved us, but they were very nice about it and checked back to make sure we were happy. Lunch was very good! If we are ever back in Costa Maya, we would love to go back there! Can't wait to hear about the new place you are going to!

Aww, thanks for the compliment. I'm so glad you enjoyed your day there. The place and people there are really awesome and the food is great! I have yet to find guacamole any better than Maya Chans!! We loved it there, just hate the color of the water. I don't mind sea grass, have been to plenty of places with it, just hate the color of the water. :(

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to go to the place I want to go to since I can't get a reply from them. It's been a few weeks. :mad: It's looking like they don't want business to me. :cool:

• 3 months later...

Who has been to Costa Maya lately. Can you still see the old Cha Chi resort to the right of the pier? It was totally destroyed by a hurricane. I was wondering if they ever rebuilt. I hope they didnt sell out to the pier. The owners of the land to the right of the pier that was Cha Chi was a nature preserve type resort. It was totally ecological. The owner told me his family had the land for a long time and they didnt want to sell out so they built a wall so no one could get in. Many of us cruisers went there. We called ourselves the "hold in the wall gang" cause you could only get in through a hole in the fence. Once in, you were in paradise. The drinks and food were dirt cheap. The snorkeling was excellent. The beach was protected for turtles that came ashore to breed.

I havent been to Costa Maya since the big hurricane destroyed it. Cha Chi was such a great place..

Anyone have any news?

Thanks.

Who has been to Costa Maya lately. Can you still see the old Cha Chi resort to the right of the pier? It was totally destroyed by a hurricane. I was wondering if they ever rebuilt. I hope they didnt sell out to the pier. The owners of the land to the right of the pier that was Cha Chi was a nature preserve type resort. It was totally ecological. The owner told me his family had the land for a long time and they didnt want to sell out so they built a wall so no one could get in. Many of us cruisers went there. We called ourselves the "hold in the wall gang" cause you could only get in through a hole in the fence. Once in, you were in paradise. The drinks and food were dirt cheap. The snorkeling was excellent. The beach was protected for turtles that came ashore to breed.

I havent been to Costa Maya since the big hurricane destroyed it. Cha Chi was such a great place..

Anyone have any news?

Thanks.

Chac-chi is still not rebuilt. :(

• 1 month later...

I have my Blue Kay review completed. You can find it HERE.

Beware, it's VERY VERY LONG...with tons of pictures (I believe over 200)

It starts around post #469 and goes to post #532, look for the pink writing. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Hey I'm going on a Carnival cruise here... Last time we were here we did nothing because of the 7-2 time issue.. and of course we are dealing with that again... What do you suggest?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hey I'm going on a Carnival cruise here... Last time we were here we did nothing because of the 7-2 time issue.. and of course we are dealing with that again... What do you suggest?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I HIGHLY suggest checking out my Blue Kay review listed in my signature line. It's only $3 to get there by the bus/open aired taxi and about 5-10 minutes from port. The place is beautiful and good food. It's also free to go there...just buy some drinks and food. The 3 of us went there and ate and drank all day and it was only $48. Since it's so close to port (you can see the ships right there), you can maximize your stay in Costa Maya since you don't have to travel far. My review has TONS of pictures in it. :)

Hi Mitsugirly,

What is the area called Malecon & what's there? We haven't been to Costa Maya since 2006...looks like the port area is bigger than I remember. We are returning there late Feb. & planning a beach day.

Betty :)

The Malecon is an area lined up and down the beach with shops & restaurants on one side and the beach area on the opposite. There's a nice walkway down the middle that people walk and/or ride a bike. There's no traffic.

This is the malecon

PB130040%20copy-L.jpg

PB130082%20copy-L.jpg

PB130481%20copy-L.jpg

Mitsugirly,

Need a recommendation. We will be in Costa Maya next month and will be there from 1pm to 10pm. We have done Nachi Cocom in Cozumel in the past and will be going back on this trip as well after a great experience last time.

What would you recommend in Costa Maya, with the late day, that would be as enjoyable as Nachi was with 4 adults.

Mitsugirly,

Need a recommendation. We will be in Costa Maya next month and will be there from 1pm to 10pm. We have done Nachi Cocom in Cozumel in the past and will be going back on this trip as well after a great experience last time.

What would you recommend in Costa Maya, with the late day, that would be as enjoyable as Nachi was with 4 adults.

Honestly we have never been fortunate enough to have a late day at port and I really don't know what's open late here. I would personally just ask some of the places that you would like to go how long they will be open and make a judgment on that.

I think Blue Kay would be an awesome place and you would probably get to spend the most time there since you would eliminate most of the driving time to get to other places with Maya Chan or Almaplena. Of course I imagine you're not going to be staying at any place you go to until it's time to board the ship since it will be dark out by then. But I know that Blue Kay would still be open because it's actually a camping place AND a restaurant as well, so people that are staying there or on the island would still be using the place. You could always email and inquire about it.

Hi All

Anyone going to Costa Maya? I am very interested to see what the property looks like at the old Cha Chi resort that is directly to the right of the pier.

Please take a picture and post it. Thank you

There were quite a few of us lucky ones who were able to go to that beach, which was pristine. As I mentioned previously in this thread, Cha Chi was there way before the cruise lines discovered Costa Maya. The family that owned the ecological resort for many generations kept it uncommercialized. When the cruise lines built the pier, the owners of the land refused to sell to the cruise lines and developer. So the developer put up a concrete wall to keep out the cruise passengers. Many of us figured on a way to get in. Once you were there it was a magical place. It was not commercialized. The food was made fresh on the spot and the drinks were $2.00, I kid you not. The man that owned the resort was more about you having a nice time, and keeping his land natural. He wasnt there to make money. He could have charged a lot more, but he didnt. You felt like you were in a real part of Mexico that existed 100 years ago. The beach was pristine and there were amazing tidal pools with all kinds of fish.

The place was totally destroyed when it took a direct hit with a hurricane. The pier was totally destroyed as well, but the developers rebuilt. I can see they also created some new areas. Many of us cruisers that went there were very concerned for the family that owned the property. Many wrote to the owner. He said he was being strong armed by the developers but didnt want to sell. He wanted to keep the land in his family and keep it safe for the turtles that used the beach to nest.

I would like to see if the land is still not developed. That would tell me that he didnt sell, but unfortunately, he didnt have the money to rebuild. I cant imagine the stress he had from the corporations/developers that no doubt made his life miserable.

Us early cruisers were one of the first to go to Costa Maya when they only had the commercialized pier and the old fishing village of Mahahual, which was very undeveloped about a half mile to the left of the pier. Cha Chi was to the right of the pier. If the developers got a hold of it, they would have destroyed the ironshore and tidal pools and created a commercial area, which would have been a gold mine especially for those short cruise days. All you had to do walk to the end of the pier and you were on a pristine beach with amazing reefs to snorkel. Lots of jungle in the back.

A picture to show me what the land looks like. I would be happy if its not developed and the family still owns it.