Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 25th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default What to buy in Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka?

What are some ideas for an Alaska memento or something to "remember" the trip by, or to give to special friends? I have no idea what tourists buy in Alaska! The people I know who went most recently bought nothing, and another bought only jewelry on the ship! I've got no need for more jewelry, but I love things for my garden, kitchen, and den. Any ideas appreciated...any good shopping sites (don't want to spend a lot of time, but maybe an hour or so afrer excursions/before sailing) in the cities above? We sail in a month.

First cruise 26 years ago on Song of America, then Majesty of the Seas, Monarch of the Seas, Masdam, Statendam, Disney (300 children spilling their milk all at once)Sun Princess, Coral Princess, Celebrity Horizon (horrible), Westerdam, Volendam, Rotterdam, and a week-long cruise down the Nile on a ship I'd rather forget (e-coli food poisoning for all 50 of us; no doctor on board), Crown Princess, Zaandam, on to Norway

Old July 25th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

There are all kinds of great unique Alaska souvenirs...and none of the places you are visiting are really large cities so the number of shops are limited...you don't need to spend a lot of time!

One thing you have to do is to check carefully to make sure that the souvenirs you buy ARE MADE IN ALASKA! To many souvenirs sold in stores are made in China...cheap copies...over priced!

An Ulu is a must buy! They are unique to the far north of both Alaska and Canada. An all-purpose knife designed by Inuit decades or longer ago they are great for use in the modern day kitchen. They come with wooden a cutting bowl. Some are real works of art that you would only put on display...others are very useful in the kitchen once you get the hang of using them. Make great 'special' gifts for family and friends.

There are also some great carvings, paintings and prints done by 'first nations' artists..as well as really wonderful jewellery.

Look for shops owned and operated by locals...not the big chain stores that open at the end of May and close by the end of September. Local is always better in terms of quality and uniqueness in my opinion. Also the money you spend is staying in the community.

Just my thoughts.

Old July 25th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCF View Post
There are all kinds of great unique Alaska souvenirs...and none of the places you are visiting are really large cities so the number of shops are limited...you don't need to spend a lot of time!

One thing you have to do is to check carefully to make sure that the souvenirs you buy ARE MADE IN ALASKA! To many souvenirs sold in stores are made in China...cheap copies...over priced!

An Ulu is a must buy! They are unique to the far north of both Alaska and Canada. An all-purpose knife designed by Inuit decades or longer ago they are great for use in the modern day kitchen. They come with wooden a cutting bowl. Some are real works of art that you would only put on display...others are very useful in the kitchen once you get the hang of using them. Make great 'special' gifts for family and friends.

There are also some great carvings, paintings and prints done by 'first nations' artists..as well as really wonderful jewellery.

Look for shops owned and operated by locals...not the big chain stores that open at the end of May and close by the end of September. Local is always better in terms of quality and uniqueness in my opinion. Also the money you spend is staying in the community.

Just my thoughts.
If I remember correctly, ulus can't be carried on board ship. They must be shipped to the mainland. There is really nothing to buy there. We walked the shops and looked and kept our money to ourselves. Save yours.

Old July 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Is it possible to buy button blankets? I've never seen it posted anywhere on these boards, but I have my mind set on acquiring one of these. Where can they be purchased?

Old July 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were in those ports last week. The chain souvenier shops are duplicated in every port and carry the same stuff so if you see something in Juneau and dont buy it- you can probably buy the same thing in Ketchikan or Skagway. We had a coupon book we got on the ship that had lots of freebies or reduced prices for stuff like mugs, hats, t-shirts- calendars- bear claws salad tossers- luggage tags- etc- and we mostly used the coupons in those stores.

If you want something unique- there were many stores with local artists' works like jewelery, wood carvings, drawings and pictures, glass works- gorgeous stuff depicting the scenery and cultures of Alaska and lots of it is very expensive- but worth it to some. I did buy some jewlery made by locals which I will treasure. T

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCF View Post

An Ulu is a must buy! They are unique to the far north of both Alaska and Canada. An all-purpose knife designed by Inuit...
Some are real works of art that you would only put on display...others are very useful in the kitchen once you get the hang of using them. Make great 'special' gifts for family and friends.
100% agree!
My ulu is a favorite kitchen utensil. I use it almost daily. I've given them for gifts, and a couple of friends have ordered more to give for gifts, despite never having been to Alaska themselves. Ulu Factory has nice sets (knife with block/bowl) for around $30 per boxed set. They are mass produced by a company in Anchorage and available in every port, cheapest in Ketchikan, my experience. Very unique ulu's are also available... incredibly nice ones, some with beautiful handles, just pricier.

Old July 25th, 2008, 11:55 AM
10,000+ Club

Juneau---Beer, but you'll probably have to drink it there

Actually, my wife uses our Ulu daily. The chopping bowl split recently though. I don't mind, just means it's time to go back to Alaska and buy another! But it'll probably be a land trip for her HS reunion in Juneau

Old July 25th, 2008, 12:52 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
What are some ideas for an Alaska memento or something to "remember" the trip by, or to give to special friends? I have no idea what tourists buy in Alaska! The people I know who went most recently bought nothing, and another bought only jewelry on the ship! I've got no need for more jewelry, but I love things for my garden, kitchen, and den. Any ideas appreciated...any good shopping sites (don't want to spend a lot of time, but maybe an hour or so afrer excursions/before sailing) in the cities above? We sail in a month.
i love nesting dolls. they are so lovely and easy to display at home. prices vary immensly but so is the value of each one.

norwegian pearl-glacier bay alaska 09/15/13- sister and friend--CANT WAIT
carnival spirit-tracy arm alaska 05/11-coworker
carnival spirit-tracy arm alaska 06/10-family cruise
carnival fantasy-western caribbean 9/09-solo
norwegian pearl-alaska glacier bay 05/09-solo
carnival victory-new england/canada 9/07-solo
carnival spirit-glacier bay 5/05-with a friend
carnival spirit-glacier bay 09/03

Old July 25th, 2008, 01:05 PM
5,000+ Club

For ourselves, we bought a soapstone bear which was made by a local artist in Anchorage. For souvenirs, I bought my nephew a zipper pull at Wm. Spear in Juneau. There are many to choose from and I purchased an eagle for him and for my hubby, we got a floatplane. Very nice and fairly inexpensive. For my niece I got a set of the marushka nesting dolls from Russia. Also purchased in Juneau. Also got my nephew a long-sleeved T-shirt from the White Pass Railroad store in Skagway.

Old July 25th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

We bought canned smoked salmon. We tasted the particular brand on our kayaking trip and really liked it so we bought small cans for our friends so they could get a taste of Alaska.

Old July 25th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Stores will quite often advertise if their items are made in Alaska. Like this:

Be careful though - some items are overpriced due to this - they are aware that visitors have very limited knowledge of artifacts and therefore will charge you a premium for some items.

I think Native artwork or handmade drums, windcatchers, woven baskets etc are good ideas.
Hawaii
30 sea days so far and more to come!

Old July 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

In Juneau, if you go up the tram- that is owned and operated by the local native corporation- the gift shop has a whole section- featuring items made in Alaska - watch for the logo- that will insure the items were not made in China- they are more expensive- but you will get an item that is made locally. Ruth

Old July 25th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default great tips for mementos

You are all great to help me with tips. What good advice! thanks a bunch!
Pat from the weedy Midwest
(it's rained here all summer and the weeds are waist high)

First cruise 26 years ago on Song of America, then Majesty of the Seas, Monarch of the Seas, Masdam, Statendam, Disney (300 children spilling their milk all at once)Sun Princess, Coral Princess, Celebrity Horizon (horrible), Westerdam, Volendam, Rotterdam, and a week-long cruise down the Nile on a ship I'd rather forget (e-coli food poisoning for all 50 of us; no doctor on board), Crown Princess, Zaandam, on to Norway

Old July 27th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
The things I got were things I felt were representative of Alaska such as totem poles (they have every size and price) Mytroshka, which are Russian nesting dolls since Alaska is so close to Russia (again, literally EVERY size and price) and also anything with bears, whales, eagles, etc. like a snow globe, plate, figurine, t-shirt.... the ideas are endless. You could also pick up some local jams, teas, locally made soap or candles, things like that. Hope that helps.

Nov. 1997 - 7 day Western Caribbean Round Trip Ft. Lauderdale - Sun Princess
April 1999 - 12 day Panama Canal San Juan to Acapulco - Sun Princess
July 2008 - 7 day Alaska Inside Passage Round Trip Seattle - Golden Princess
November 2010
- 7 day Mexican Riviera Round Trip Los Angeles - Sapphire Princess

July 2013 - 7 day Alaska Inside Passage Round Trip Seattle - Norwegian Jewel