Solo Cruisers ... Why Do We Do It?

jtwanabe

This may sound a bit selfish, but I like for my vacation to stay my vacation and not become our vacation. I like doing what I want, when I want. It's nice not having to tell someone every time I'm headed to the gym, or the buffet, or wherever. It's nice not having to wait for someone to finish getting dressed when you're ready. It's nice to be able to see and do everything you want for as long as you want without having to hear someone say they're ready to go. I love being on my own schedule 24/7. In addition to my 4 solo cruises, I've also done land trips solo to Hawaii, Vegas, St. Thomas, and Madrid. It has become my preferred way to travel and I'm already contemplating my next solo adventure! :)

I would Love, love LOVE to go on a cruise by ,myself. Oh my gosh the peace and serenity but the old ball and chain (DH) would never let me go alone...**sigh**. Just thinking about all the reading I could catch up on...but alas, I have to live vicariously through people like gapearl.

I think its great!! More power to those of you who can do it!! Nothing like hanging out with yourself and by yourself. You can always meet new people if you choose.

Happy cruising!

I live alone in 1000 square feet. I have only cruised solo and can't imagine sharing 185 square feet (and one bathroom) with someone else. I might give the boyfriend a chance, haven't decided yet! :D

As others have said, you can do what you want when you want, there's no "what do we do today?" committee, you can participate or chill in your cabin.

I decided a long time ago that I didn't want to wait for friends/family/bf to be available for when/where I wanted to vacation, I'd rather go solo than miss out.

Some people think I'm brave, some think I'm nuts, I don't care, it's all good! I don't let myself get offended when people question my decision to travel solo.

I just miss my kitties when I cruise >^..^<

I live alone in 1000 square feet. I have only cruised solo and can't imagine sharing 185 square feet (and one bathroom) with someone else. I might give the boyfriend a chance, haven't decided yet! :D

As others have said, you can do what you want when you want, there's no "what do we do today?" committee, you can participate or chill in your cabin.

I decided a long time ago that I didn't want to wait for friends/family/bf to be available for when/where I wanted to vacation, I'd rather go solo than miss out.

Some people think I'm brave, some think I'm nuts, I don't care, it's all good! I don't let myself get offended when people question my decision to travel solo.

I just miss my kitties when I cruise >^..^<

Exactly what she said! But I'm minus the snarky comments about whether or not I'm crazy to go alone. When you're a widow, people tend to leave that stuff out for you. It's one of the few perks.

That being said, I love going with or without someone! As long as I go with someone who doesn't need me to be joined at the hip with them, I'm perfectly content. It really IS nice to do whatever you want whenever you want. I have found that, even solo, I end up with a group of folks that I do stuff with.

I have never done a solo cruise.. however I find it very temping :p

I am hoping to retire as soon as then end of this year the 55 B-day :D

The hubby and friends I cruise with will not be able to cruise as often as I would like because they will still be working :p

So I was thinking I would try a short 4/5 day solo cruise to see how I like it.

I have never had any problems going to the movies, dinner, bars etc alone so I doubt this will be a problem. I love meeting new people and am the social one in our group... LOL However I will miss the hubby as I do enjoy cruising with him ;)

Would love to hear from more solo peeps on their thoughts...

I have done four solo cruises and loved them. I can usually take off from work easily so I will just run off for a short getaway cruise. I work with people and constantly have to be "on" and that gets draining at times. I like to just get on the ship and do things at my own pace, read, whatever. It can be easy to meet people if I want, but it is also easy to just have some alone time. Plus I usually do an excursion that I have really wanted to do. They are great for a quick recharge.

I was years deciding to go on my solo. I hinted and hinted to my SO but there was always some reason we couldn't go.

I had been on some company cruises years ago and coupled with my lifetime love of the sea I would see the ads and just sign.

So after one horrendously stressful day (some street punk went into a 10 minute "cursing diatribe cause he thought I had

cut in from of him at a Subway Shop). I thought I got to get out of this place. Then I got and answered email from VTG

about a 5 day cruise. I thoroughly loved every minute of it. So the next year I went to my SO to get them to come with me.

Well you know how story goes ..... by the time all the parameters were set to accommodate the others requirements I just

said .... to do want you asked would fundamentally change what I love about a cruise. So I went the second time by myself.

Thoroughly loved it again. I just booked again and once again I invited but made it clear that all year long I work and do for

others but this week is "mine" and for "me". Like a birthday party you are invited but for this 1 out of 52 weeks I', It's going

to be "my time".

Someone should make a drink and call it the "me myself and I".

JT:p

This may sound a bit selfish, but I like for my vacation to stay my vacation and not become our vacation. I like doing what I want, when I want. It's nice not having to tell someone every time I'm headed to the gym, or the buffet, or wherever. It's nice not having to wait for someone to finish getting dressed when you're ready. It's nice to be able to see and do everything you want for as long as you want without having to hear someone say they're ready to go. I love being on my own schedule 24/7. In addition to my 4 solo cruises, I've also done land trips solo to Hawaii, Vegas, St. Thomas, and Madrid. It has become my preferred way to travel and I'm already contemplating my next solo adventure! :)

I agree 100% to the reasons gapearl states. I too have done 4 or 5 solo cruises, and loved every one. I miss them, because me loving husband discovered cruising , and now wants to go on every one. :eek: :D: I love him dearly, but would like another solo cruise. He is a great travel partner, but I miss my solos. I also have enjoyed solo land vacations. They are fun, but I felt safer on my cruises.

I like the nomadic lifestyle. Most of my life is structured with work, music, baseball and concerts. This gives me a chance to do something different yet retain ties to some of my interests while on board. The whole Epic thing was great because its cool to be sitting at a dinner table with people from all over the world.

There are many reasons I love it. I have lived on my own for almost

my entire adult life. I LOVE cruising solo. Doing what I want,

when I want, or don't want for that matter. I depend on me for

everything so going on vacation is no different. I found cruising 10

years ago and it is the only way I travel now. I love unpacking once

and as for being pampered? I LOVE IT too:D If I feel like sleeping in,

or sleeping with tv on all night? I can do it. If I want to get up, go

out on the balcony and then go back to bed, I can do it. Nobody else

there to tell me this or that.....yes, when I cruise, it is all about me:D

Sounds selfish? Nope, it is just because I am solo and the price I pay

is mine......so, like I said I can do what I want:)

Also, I am quite outgoing and it is very easy for me to meet people

so that is a positive (in my opinion) for me anyway. I have met folks

on my cruises and we are now lifelong friends:)..so that is all

good.

I sail again 2 weeks from TOMORROW! We have a fun and friendly

roll call so that is a positive thing too;) chatting with those folks

for at least 2 or 3 months now!

Oh, and I have seen many places through cruising that I would not do

on land so that is another reason I love it too. I would not fly to

each Caribbean Island and just stay there for a week......some people

might, but not me. I love everything about cruising:)

I keep thinking of other things....and how could I forget this........

Just being on the water on the ship too.......watching the wake.......

it is VERY peaceful (to me).......I love it.

Simply because I can.

Just finished my 7th solo cruise.

There are times I just want to be on my own and just sit on a deck lounger.

This time i did anytime dining and met lots of lovely people.

It is my escape from work where I know I will be looked after and don't have to lift a finger.

I like going on a cruise, and having it be truly, 100%, my cruise. That means not having to answer to anyone but myself, not having to forego an desired activity because no one else wants to do it, and not looking like a bad guy dragging others to an activity of my choice. Just a matter of "see it, decide it, do it". If I meet other people, there's nothing obligating me to join in on their activity. We just break off to do our own things, then reconvene at a later time. It's harder to do that on a non-solo vacation, at least not without stepping on a few toes and/or looking like I'm being rude.

The reason I like to cruise solo is because I can do what I want, when I want. I love the fact that if I want to laze by the pool all then I can, I have only done 2 solo cruises but I am planning a few more in the coming years. (Already planning couple for 2015).

I cruise with family and friends from time to time and its great, but there is nothing quite like cruising on your own. Everybody is so friendly and I feel safe I would never think of doing a land based holiday on my own but with a cruise I don't think twice about it.

Happy cruising to all of you.

I loved your post for so many reasons. I am new to cruising, and new to being single. At times I would feel guilty for splurging on the best for myself, but I am loving life now! I can tell you are very comfortable in your skin...it's a great thing. I went on one cruise end of last year. My 2nd cruise is in May. Looking forward to more fabulous solo time. Champagne on my balcony, meeting people and having an amazing time.

I travel solo because my hubby does not think he'd like the cruising lifestyle + he does still smoke.

The longest I've been away was 33 days and it was difficult to be away from him and the grandkids for so long. Thank heavens the ship I was on, the Aegean Odyssey, has inexpensive internet and I was able to keep in contact with everyone. The weekly update pictures of the kids was great.

Shar

I cruise solo for many of the same reasons mentioned in previous posts. I do like traveling with my friends but it's so exhausting trying to meet everyone's needs. Since I'm single and don't have kids, I can cruise anytime of the year, whereas I have to wait for spring break or summer if my girlfriends or sisters want to join me. The only downside, a lot of people just don't get it when you tell them you're traveling solo. They look at you and treat you like you're some sort of weirdo. However,I have observed some of these same people looking miserable or arguing with each other about what to do and what not to do. :D

I cruise solo for many of the same reasons mentioned in previous posts. I do like traveling with my friends but it's so exhausting trying to meet everyone's needs. Since I'm single and don't have kids, I can cruise anytime of the year, whereas I have to wait for spring break or summer if my girlfriends or sisters want to join me. The only downside, a lot of people just don't get it when you tell them you're traveling solo. They look at you and treat you like you're some sort of weirdo. However,I have observed some of these same people looking miserable or arguing with each other about what to do and what not to do. :D

I have seen that as well- while waiting to get on the Jewel I felt I was like the only one relaxed

I cruise solo for all of the reasons others have mentioned. I enjoy having to answer to no one but me, myself, & I. The only regret I have is that I didn't start solo cruising earlier. Solo cruise #3 in November & many more solo cruises are on the horizon. :)

My first 5 or so cruises were solo, back when they had single share.

Then with my DH and stepson, we could only go during school vacations.

Then, just us two. Every year or 18 months I would go on a solo...so I wouldn't "kill" the DH....found some time apart was a great counselor.

Then they did away with solo 150%. Had to take the DH, because I was paying for a second person anyway...:).

Now, looking forward to an 11 night TA, SOLO! Quiet time for ME!

26 days and counting!

My first 5 or so cruises were solo, back when they had single share.

Then with my DH and stepson, we could only go during school vacations.

Then, just us two. Every year or 18 months I would go on a solo...so I wouldn't "kill" the DH....found some time apart was a great counselor.

Then they did away with solo 150%. Had to take the DH, because I was paying for a second person anyway...:).

Now, looking forward to an 11 night TA, SOLO! Quiet time for ME!

26 days and counting!

From one native Shreveporter to another Shreveporter, enjoy your upcoming cruise. :)

Archived