Cruise lines with World itineraries ???

mtwingcpa

I can't quite believe that I'm seriously considering a round-the-world cruise in early 2015! :-)

So I'm trying to identify the lines that offer such cruises embarking/debarking in the USA or Canada. Thus far I've found HAL, Princess, Crystal (might be too expensive), and possibly Cunard.

Are there others that deserve consideration? Thanks! :-)

Keith - Thanks for the additional options. :-)

Just preliminarily, I'll probably rule out Crystal, Silversea and Oceania due to cost. And I will likely rule out Cunard due to "excessive formality" :-) although I really like their itineraries.

So I suspect the choice will boil down to HAL vs. Princess. And at the moment, with its restrictive smoking policy and west coast departure, Princess is in the lead. :-)

Before you rule out the luxury lines, do your math. Remember, you do not have to pay gratuities on those ships. Maybe HAL and Princess waive the gratuities for full world cruise people. Luxury lines also give you added benefits. We picked SilverSea. No gratuities, all drinks included, free laundry, free internet, at least one shore tour each segment, and a nice on-board credit. We also liked the itinerary best.

Before you rule out the luxury lines, do your math. Remember, you do not have to pay gratuities on those ships. Maybe HAL and Princess waive the gratuities for full world cruise people. Luxury lines also give you added benefits. We picked SilverSea. No gratuities, all drinks included, free laundry, free internet, at least one shore tour each segment, and a nice on-board credit. We also liked the itinerary best.

Before taxes and fees the least expensive balcony cabin on HAL is $365 per person per night, Silversea is $641 per person per night and Princess is $270 per person per night.

It never hurts to speak with a TA about all of this and maybe more than one. Some TA's will truly provide some nice amenities. Depending on the rules of the cruise line they could vary from a nice on board credit to even a rebate back from them but that will vary by TA and again based on rules of the cruise line. I would be sure as HotRoot has suggested to factor in what might be provided and not provided. Mtwingcpa, in the end though you will know which works better for you in terms of budget and type of cruise you want. It is not a requirement and I know many people whose first cruise on a line or a ship was a World Cruise but if it is possible it would be a good idea to take some type of cruise on a line if a World Cruise would be the first time you sail with it just to be sure you will be happy for all that time. On some lines, you actually get a discount if you've sailed with them before. Again, it might not be possible or practical but I just wanted to mention that.

I wish you only the best as you finalize your plans. One other item is that many world cruises book fast so don't wait too long to make a decision.

Keith

It is not a requirement and I know many people whose first cruise on a line or a ship was a World Cruise but if it is possible it would be a good idea to take some type of cruise on a line if a World Cruise would be the first time you sail with it just to be sure you will be happy for all that time.

Excellent point!

I was planning to jump on a repositioning cruise this spring on the line(s) I'm considering. HAL and Princess have a number of boats heading up the west coast to Alaska. On the other lines, I'm not sure about their west coast (or other convenient) offerings...will have to check. Most any line will no doubt be different than my previous experience on NCL or the Alaska Ferries. :-)

Normally I don't use travel agents. But this might be one case where I'd consider it since there are lots of bucks involved and I'd suppose the perks (and planning assistance) MIGHT be significant. :-)

Excellent point!

I was planning to jump on a repositioning cruise this spring on the line(s) I'm considering. HAL and Princess have a number of boats heading up the west coast to Alaska. On the other lines, I'm not sure about their west coast (or other convenient) offerings...will have to check. Most any line will no doubt be different than my previous experience on NCL or the Alaska Ferries. :-)

Normally I don't use travel agents. But this might be one case where I'd consider it since there are lots of bucks involved and I'd suppose the perks (and planning assistance) MIGHT be significant. :-)

You definitely want to use a TA. You will be spending a good sum of money and you need to ask up front what the TA's will do for you.

Ask friends for recommendations and get someone who is very experienced and will work hard for you because items come up.

Keith

These Cruises are discounted through the big discount agencies, I found Hal Amsterdam 114 N Inside at$175N. Sea Princess 114N a few dollars more.Add taxes etc.These are Inside cabins.Last yr. I noted further discounting.The economy is still bad so deals will come. I would do short cruises on 2 ships you find most interesting. None of World ships are close to NCL.(Nothing against NCL, just booked it for AK.)

I originally booked the 2015 Princess but switched to Oceania. Princess was cheaper but Oceania had a lot more included. Oceania is under 50% sea days while Princess is much higher. The two ships they use are sisters once owned by a now bankrupt company.

If the 180 days is too much then segments something like Cape Town to La would be more of a standard length and you would have a short flight home at the end.