Social wifi plan for messaging others on ship?

wetwash

Hi, traveling with my husband, 17 & 18 y/o daughters and two of their friends next week on the Divina :D

We have two staterooms that are on the same deck but not next to each other and if I want to get in touch with them when they're not in their stateroom I was wondering if an app like WhatsApp or even the Facebook messenger would work if we will have the social Wi-Fi package - it allows unlimited access to social networks and chat apps ( but I'm not clear which ones).Also with the surfer cruise plus it allows web browsing but is it still unlimited on the chat apps or does that use up your data? Anyone have experience? It'll be easier than leaving sticky notes on their door ( though I don't expect to see them much, lol!)😜

Oh, thanks for asking this question! I will be traveling in Sept with Hubby, Stepson (in his own cabin of course ;p) and another friend of ours (in his own cabin, too). We have the same package so I'll be curious as to what kind of service we will have.

PS - I'm pretty sure you won't see the kids much... maybe just at dinner

If you have What's App or Facebook then the social package will work. The MSC "app" is a complicated mobile webpage that you have to sign in through your mobile browser and keep refreshing. You don't want to have to deal with that mess. Make sure you all have What's App or Facebook Messenger already on your phone prior to getting there though because they won't let you download it once onboard.

Hi ! We are on the same cruise as you. My DH was also looking into this information and he says the social package is good for what you need to stay in touch with the girls . On the MSC website per the surfer package that allows Web browsing , the data limit would apply to the social apps as well. Hope this helps .

Why not sign up for the meet and greet for our cruise . It's easy to do and we'd love to have you join our little group .

Thanks Graminator… They want the surfer package but I have a feeling they will use up all the data rather quickly so I guess the social plan will be a back up for them (although I think it's a great idea for my husband and I) but this is the first time, out of 8 cruises ( the Wi-Fi packages were too expensive on the other cruises in the past) that we've had any way to keep in touch so it should be fine even though I don't expect to see them except at dinner LOL!

And I signed up for the meet and greet back in May so we're all set… See you in a week !

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone interested, i-messaging works with the social Wi-Fi so that is convenient foe those of us with iPhones on the ship, although the wifi can be a bit spotty! And posting/reviewing Facebook works but not looking at any web content. Still a good deal for $19 for the week long cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone interested, i-messaging works with the social Wi-Fi so that is convenient foe those of us with iPhones on the ship, although the wifi can be a bit spotty! And posting/reviewing Facebook works but not looking at any web content. Still a good deal for $19 for the week long cruise!

Is that $19 per room for the social package? Do you know if Tapatalk is considered part of the social type apps?

It's per person for the social package one device. Unlimited. I did not try tap to talk because I just downloaded this app but maybe I will try later and let you know. It does allow posting on Facebook and other social media so maybe?