Booked with MSC...First Impressions Are Not Good

GadgetRick

So we booked a cruise with MSC months ago--like 6+. Originally, we were cruising in December for a pre-Christmas cruise with the family, unfortunately, plans changed and we moved it up to August (leaving in 2 weeks). I mention this because we've been trying to access our booking on their website for months and have been unable to. They keep telling us it's a problem with their website and they'll fix it and to check back. I'm now on hold with them about this (again) after doing this about once a month since then.

They can't seem to get their act together on the IT side. It's ridiculous to be quite honest. But, ok, I should be able to check in on the phone--annoying but, well, it's a solution. But no, can't do that either. They are having issues on their end even trying to check ME in.

Was able to (sort of) check in one of our cabins but, when I try to print the tickets and register our son for their kids club, it tells me all info hasn't been filled in (when I filled in EVERYTHING they asked for). When I click on that error, it just takes me back to the summary page with no info on what I need to put in.

Honestly, if I weren't 2 weeks out, I'd cancel and go with someone else. I'd go into more detail but it's so frustrating. I've wasted hours of my time over the past 6ish months trying to deal with this. I really believe I'm going to show up in the port in Miami and they are going to have some problem and I'll spend a long time trying to straighten it out.

For a company who is trying to make a splash here in the US, the first impression I have of them is about as bad as it can get. Each of the people on the phone I've talked about have also told me they have been dealing with these kinds of problems for months and they keep asking for it to be fixed. I get the impression this is a MAJOR issue with them. I really don't understand.

So, instead of being excited to go away, I'm dreading showing up in the port just KNOWING there will be a problem. Not to mention, I'm not even able to get checked in yet! I'm in total disbelief of how bad they are.

Had a similar problem, for some reason they did not have my son's birthday and that stalled everything. Finally called them and they manually entered the missing data and I was able to access the e-ticket but we were already travelling and could not upload a photo etc. We showed up without the e-ticket and after some back and forth they manually entered everything and we boarded.

Had a similar problem, for some reason they did not have my son's birthday and that stalled everything. Finally called them and they manually entered the missing data and I was able to access the e-ticket but we were already travelling and could not upload a photo etc. We showed up without the e-ticket and after some back and forth they manually entered everything and we boarded.

Exactly what I'm afraid of. They couldn't even complete everything on the phone.

Am I going to need photos of our sons (14 and 11)? Never had to do this before--they didn't mention it on the phone.

I'm dreading showing up.

For a company who is trying to get bigger here, they sure seem to be dropping the ball...

I'm sorry to hear you are having so many issues with MSC. I too ran into issues with the shoreside folks and ended up cancelling two future cruises with them due to all the issues. You may try elevating your concerns to a supervisor and see if they can get you checked-in and confirmed. Hopefully, things will go smoother from here for you. I agree, they definitely need to improve their website, customer service and shoreside support ASAP if they hope to make significant in roads into the US market. My experiences with Celebrity, Carnival, and NCL have all been far superior to my dealings with MSC. Just remember, any cruise is better than a day at work! Have a great cruise and leave the worries behind. The Divina is a beautiful ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had similar issues trying to check in and when I finally was able to access our booking, it kept showing final payment not paid...which wasn't so. I called my TA and she called and was told that all was fine, even checked the birth dates since she had also heard of that issue. Well, logged back on and still had the final payment due status with a grayed out make payment box, so I called MSC and they were able to email me my edocs since we leave this coming Saturday. I'm hopeful that all will be fine. The website still shows not paid but oh, well...I'll take hard copies of everything and we will head to the port early just in case.

Now if we can just get them to correct our Loyalty Match Status...ugh...I have sent it several times online and by email and it still shows us as Welcome status members. I'll be calling again tomorrow.

Plus, I'm having to call daily and jump through hoops trying to get reimbursed through USAA Travel Insurance for our June cruise and flights that we had to reschedule due to my husband having surgery. Sure glad we didn't have to wait for that reimbursement payment to be able to re-book or we would not have time to go on our vacation this summer. The struggles of travel. Glad I am off and have time to make all of these phone calls and return emails. Crazy. I thought booking through USAA and also using their travel insurance would assure an ease of ever having/needing to use it.

Good luck!

Now if we can just get them to correct our Loyalty Match Status...ugh...I have sent it several times online and by email and it still shows us as Welcome status members. I'll be calling again tomorrow.

Yeah, this is another thing I'm still trying to get sorted out.

I booked with MSC with just one phone call...to my travel agent. :cool:

Well said. A professional travel agent would be the ones making the phone calls for their clients. Dealing with the Online Check-In issues and e-Docs. Plus even doing the Status Match. Good agents know how to get things done by going to the right people.

Still will never understand why people put themselves through hell when agents services are free plus give you a better deal. And if your agent doesn't do all the above for you if you ask, you need to find a new agent. As an agent, I do this on a nearly regular basis so I know the frustration. But that is my job...to make it the best vacation experience possible for the client.

Enough of my rant for today. ;p

Bret

Well said. A professional travel agent would be the ones making the phone calls for their clients. Dealing with the Online Check-In issues and e-Docs. Plus even doing the Status Match. Good agents know how to get things done by going to the right people.

Still will never understand why people put themselves through hell when agents services are free plus give you a better deal. And if your agent doesn't do all the above for you if you ask, you need to find a new agent. As an agent, I do this on a nearly regular basis so I know the frustration. But that is my job...to make it the best vacation experience possible for the client.

Enough of my rant for today. ;p

Bret

No offense but, most of us don't need an agent. It's 2017, not 1985 and the Internet is a wonderful place. As much as I travel--as many cruises as I've been on--I've never had this experience (and have never used a travel agent). Also, a travel agent wouldn't be able to help the issues for the people at check-in. I just know (in my heart), no matter what, I'll have issues when I get to the port.

A travel agent won't solve the problems MSC is having, it may hide some of them from the public but it won't fix them. If MSC wants to succeed here, they need to get this worked out.

Hi Rick,

Believe me, I did not mean to be impertinent and I am not a travel agent...but I have to say that I have never been without my TA. My TA and I have been through thirty years of cruising and crossings...with the same TA.

He has straightened out things for me while I have been out on the pier and when I have been out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean...and now he is communicating with MSC when others are lost at sea, so to say. I am sure you will resolve most of your issues in time and I hope you will have an enjoyable cruise...but there are other ways to explore that might save you a lot of time and aggravation. Sometimes it is simply the matter of one phone call to the right place at the right time to the right person and that can only be done by someone who has already been there.

Hi Rick,

Believe me, I did not mean to be impertinent and I am not a travel agent...but I have to say that I have never been without my TA. My TA and I have been through thirty years of cruising and crossings...with the same TA.

He has straightened out things for me while I have been out on the pier and when I have been out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean...and now he is communicating with MSC when others are lost at sea, so to say. I am sure you will resolve most of your issues in time and I hope you will have an enjoyable cruise...but there are other ways to explore that might save you a lot of time and aggravation. Sometimes it is simply the matter of one phone call to the right place at the right time to the right person and that can only be done by someone who has already been there.

Sometimes, yes, however, as evidenced by the number of people who have complained about the same things--and by what the people on the phone at MSC have told me--a TA isn't going to do anything to fix this. This is an MSC issue, not a lack of TA issue.

A TA might help mask some of the issues but not all of them. And, at the end of the day, there are still issues. It's totally unacceptable for these things to continue to happen. I understand, things happen from time to time, but this seems to be a trend with them.

At the end of the day, I'm having a horrible experience with MSC so far. If I weren't 2 weeks out, I'd be canceling and changing to another line. It's ridiculous for these problems to persist with a company who has openly said they are trying to gain US market share.

Hi Rick,

Oh yes MSC has GREAT problems, but great ships.. I had more than a few HUGE problems with them, but always got resolved. However usually with great pressure. I have personal contact info on many people form MSC from top to down to reservation. If you want the right people to talk to contact me..

Hi Rick,

Oh yes MSC has GREAT problems, but great ships.. I had more than a few HUGE problems with them, but always got resolved. However usually with great pressure. I have personal contact info on many people form MSC from top to down to reservation. If you want the right people to talk to contact me..

Thanks. I'd love to have the contact info on the people there. Trying to figure out how to PM you here.

So we booked a cruise with MSC months ago--like 6+. Originally, we were cruising in December for a pre-Christmas cruise with the family, unfortunately, plans changed and we moved it up to August (leaving in 2 weeks). I mention this because we've been trying to access our booking on their website for months and have been unable to. They keep telling us it's a problem with their website and they'll fix it and to check back. I'm now on hold with them about this (again) after doing this about once a month since then.

They can't seem to get their act together on the IT side. It's ridiculous to be quite honest. But, ok, I should be able to check in on the phone--annoying but, well, it's a solution. But no, can't do that either. They are having issues on their end even trying to check ME in.

Was able to (sort of) check in one of our cabins but, when I try to print the tickets and register our son for their kids club, it tells me all info hasn't been filled in (when I filled in EVERYTHING they asked for). When I click on that error, it just takes me back to the summary page with no info on what I need to put in.

Honestly, if I weren't 2 weeks out, I'd cancel and go with someone else. I'd go into more detail but it's so frustrating. I've wasted hours of my time over the past 6ish months trying to deal with this. I really believe I'm going to show up in the port in Miami and they are going to have some problem and I'll spend a long time trying to straighten it out.

For a company who is trying to make a splash here in the US, the first impression I have of them is about as bad as it can get. Each of the people on the phone I've talked about have also told me they have been dealing with these kinds of problems for months and they keep asking for it to be fixed. I get the impression this is a MAJOR issue with them. I really don't understand.

So, instead of being excited to go away, I'm dreading showing up in the port just KNOWING there will be a problem. Not to mention, I'm not even able to get checked in yet! I'm in total disbelief of how bad they are.

Don't bother with online check in - never done it and never spent more then 5 minutes on the check in counter.

As with all other cruise lines, you can enroll kids to the kids club once you board.

The website sucks but the good news is there is is absolutly nothing that is mandatory to be done via the website.

Enjoy your cruise!

We had similar issues trying to check in and when I finally was able to access our booking, it kept showing final payment not paid...which wasn't so. I called my TA and she called and was told that all was fine, even checked the birth dates since she had also heard of that issue. Well, logged back on and still had the final payment due status with a grayed out make payment box, so I called MSC and they were able to email me my edocs since we leave this coming Saturday. I'm hopeful that all will be fine. The website still shows not paid but oh, well...I'll take hard copies of everything and we will head to the port early just in case.

Plus, I'm having to call daily and jump through hoops trying to get reimbursed through USAA Travel Insurance for our June cruise and flights that we had to reschedule due to my husband having surgery. Sure glad we didn't have to wait for that reimbursement payment to be able to re-book or we would not have time to go on our vacation this summer. The struggles of travel. Glad I am off and have time to make all of these phone calls and return emails. Crazy. I thought booking through USAA and also using their travel insurance would assure an ease of ever having/needing to use it.

Good luck!

I'd have to check their wording on the payment status but it also says something along the lines "...or part of a group.." which I take to mean it it booked and paid via TA.

We have 2 reservations for coming up trip and never had any issues with reservations showing up on line. TA called to link and that is even referenced on reservation.

We'll be doing final touches as we get under 20 days this Saturday so I'll see if any issues there.

Don't bother with online check in - never done it and never spent more then 5 minutes on the check in counter.

As with all other cruise lines, you can enroll kids to the kids club once you board.

The website sucks but the good news is there is is absolutly nothing that is mandatory to be done via the website.

Enjoy your cruise!

I understand all of this, my concern is--and it's backed by others' experiences--if they can't get the most basic of things like this down, what happens when I show up? It seems many others have experienced problems upon checkin. The last thing I want to do is go on a vacation with a sour taste but I've already got that thanks to their (lack of) technology prowess.

If they want to make inroads here in the US, they need to get their act together.

why would you need to upload photo? :*

More fun from the knuckleheads running the show at MSC...

Tried to call them this morning to speak with Customer Service and try to sort things out. What a joke. Have to call their normal number, wait on hold to get someone so you can ask for Customer Service (you get a booking agent first). Then, have to wait on hold for Customer Service. How about giving us the option to go there DIRECTLY??

I get lady 1 on the phone, explaining the problems I'm having and my concerns. She tells me--like everyone else has over the past 6+ months--everything is fine on their end. I tried to explain the problems I was having, etc. She puts me on hold and....I get disconnected. Ugh...

Call back, wait on hold, get the booking agent. The guy tries to tell me Customer Service doesn't deal with you unless you've sailed. I (politely as possible) explain to him I was just on the phone with them and was disconnected. He still wants to argue with me. I (not as politely this time) ask him to please put me through to Customer Service. So he finally does.

Wait on hold. Get told everything is fine, blah blah blah. I ask to speak with a supervisor. I get put on hold, she comes back and says she's transferring me to her supervisor...and I get VM. Of course, I left a VM but have heard nothing from them. That was almost 6 hours ago.

Honestly, I have no idea what they've got going on. I really want to get excited about this trip but I just know (in my heart), I'm going to get to Miami and there will be problems and I'll be standing there in the port trying to argue with them. I've already wasted HOURS of my time trying to sort things out. I'm totally frustrated at this point...

If I weren't 2 weeks out, I'd insist on a full refund and book with another cruise line who seems to actually care (at least a little) about their passengers. But, it's too close and we have family coming in from out of town for this.

More fun from the knuckleheads running the show at MSC...

Tried to call them this morning to speak with Customer Service and try to sort things out. What a joke. Have to call their normal number, wait on hold to get someone so you can ask for Customer Service (you get a booking agent first). Then, have to wait on hold for Customer Service. How about giving us the option to go there DIRECTLY??

I get lady 1 on the phone, explaining the problems I'm having and my concerns. She tells me--like everyone else has over the past 6+ months--everything is fine on their end. I tried to explain the problems I was having, etc. She puts me on hold and....I get disconnected. Ugh...

Call back, wait on hold, get the booking agent. The guy tries to tell me Customer Service doesn't deal with you unless you've sailed. I (politely as possible) explain to him I was just on the phone with them and was disconnected. He still wants to argue with me. I (not as politely this time) ask him to please put me through to Customer Service. So he finally does.

Wait on hold. Get told everything is fine, blah blah blah. I ask to speak with a supervisor. I get put on hold, she comes back and says she's transferring me to her supervisor...and I get VM. Of course, I left a VM but have heard nothing from them. That was almost 6 hours ago.

Honestly, I have no idea what they've got going on. I really want to get excited about this trip but I just know (in my heart), I'm going to get to Miami and there will be problems and I'll be standing there in the port trying to argue with them. I've already wasted HOURS of my time trying to sort things out. I'm totally frustrated at this point...

If I weren't 2 weeks out, I'd insist on a full refund and book with another cruise line who seems to actually care (at least a little) about their passengers. But, it's too close and we have family coming in from out of town for this.

I have had the same problems plus. I has started another thread about a month ago asking for help. I had to get through three agents just to get what I wanted. When I had problems I asked to speak to a supervisor and they keep saying that a supervisor will return my call and never does. They also changed my confirmed rear facing cabin and then changed it. They said I had done it on line myself. When I contacted another agent he said it was impossible for me to change it on line. He did find another rear facing cabin for me and I check it almost daily to make sure it has not been changed again. The next two and a half months will be miserable until I get on the ship.

I have had the same problems plus. I has started another thread about a month ago asking for help. I had to get through three agents just to get what I wanted. When I had problems I asked to speak to a supervisor and they keep saying that a supervisor will return my call and never does. They also changed my confirmed rear facing cabin and then changed it. They said I had done it on line myself. When I contacted another agent he said it was impossible for me to change it on line. He did find another rear facing cabin for me and I check it almost daily to make sure it has not been changed again. The next two and a half months will be miserable until I get on the ship.

Ugh. I really just have this sinking feeling of what I'm going to experience once I get to Miami...

Ugh. I really just have this sinking feeling of what I'm going to experience once I get to Miami...

The advice I have had from others on here who have gone through the experience and the MSC agents is to run everything off and take it with you.

The other thing I have decided to do is to not pre pay anything. I will take cash in the from of my credit union debit card and use that. I will not allow them close to my regular accounts.

The advice I have had from others on here who have gone through the experience and the MSC agents is to run everything off and take it with you.

The other thing I have decided to do is to not pre pay anything. I will take cash in the from of my credit union debit card and use that. I will not allow them close to my regular accounts.

I print everything every time but, from what I'm experiencing--and have read about--it doesn't seem as though it will matter much. It's like the Keystone cops over there...