Removing Automatic Tips

Cruzinbabe06

We always put down a cash deposit for our Sign and Sail.

This cruise, my husband decided he wants to tip personally, with envelopes and a hand shake, like in the old days.

If I don't want the tips to come off automatically, do I tell them this when I put the money down or at the end of the cruise? Has anyone had their tips taken off for this reason? Will they question you about it?

Thanks in advance

You cant remove the tips until they post, so not the first afternoon.

I wouldnt be surprised if they ask you why. They do sometimes Iv read on here. Iv never removed tips.

Your waiter or cabin steward know you removed them too, so they might ask??? They do know.

Okay, the kitchen. So not something the 2000+ passengers can see. At most, the 32 passengers on the Behind the Fun tour or galley tour can sea. It will be kind of funny if the posted the "list" for everyone to see.

Right but the people who are preparing/serving your food will see it. I would not want someone who has the ability to "do something" to my food to be pissed off at me lol

Because we want to pay in person, on our last night, like we use to do.

In the old days, your cabin steward would give you envelopes and you were able to hand deliver your gratuity and show your appreciation to the workers and say thank you and shake their hand. It was just a more personal gesture back then.

The service and work that they do is sometimes so overwhelming, I really don't know how they do it every week. I work for a major airline, and the attitudes that some folks have is just horrible. By the end of the day I need Excedrin.:eek: And that's just an 8 hr shift.

So my husband made a comment he don't want the tips to come out automatically. He wants to give it to them hand to hand.

Tipping hand to hand is great....as long as it's on top of the auto tips. :) Besides your regular crew being notified, what about all the other people that get a cut out of those tips? The cabin stewards assistant (who you may never meet or see), the buffet workers, etc.

The auto tips are there so no one gets left out. Hand to hand tipping the old cruisers way, left a lot of people out. They count on that money as it's the majority of their pay.

We always tip over and above for great service to bartenders, deck waiters, stewards, DR waiters etc. but would never remove the auto tips.

If you remove auto tips, your name gets put on a list that is hung in the dining room, cabin steward's area, etc. I would not recommend it.

It isn't hung in the dining room and isn't for the current cruisers but for the previous cruise. Or at least that is what is supposed to be. Once in a while there is a oops, I suppose.

Everyone will shake your hand without you handing them money

I seem to recall that if you remove auto-tips and tip in cash the staff have to report all of that and it will get split anyway. If you leave the auto-tips on and just tip extra, they stand a better chance of keeping everything you give them in cash.

If you remove auto tips, your name gets put on a list that is hung in the dining room, cabin steward's area, etc. I would not recommend it.

It is not in the dining room. It is a list of past passengers (the week before) who removed the tips. The purpose is to let the crew know that their checks will not be what they expect it to be.

Nobody is going to do anything to your food. They need their jobs!

Tipping is a hot topic on cruise critic. Everyone has an opinion about it. Our opinion shouldn't matter to you. If your husband wants to tip in person, then thats the way you should do it.

The opportunity is there for you to remove the tips because Carnival allows it. So if you want to do that, then do it.

There are pros and cons for both sides, and the sides will never meet in the middle.

I agree with the others. Keep the auto-tip on - and give a little something extra to those that you feel deserving.

Our last cruise we ended up eating in the buffet most of the time - but wouldn't think of removing the tips as I know those people were working hard as well. For our steward we gave him something extra at the end of the cruise.

Sorry - but I always find it suspicious those looking to remove a tip prior to ever receiving service. You will be leaving out many people behind the scenes who are deserving as well.

I always remove the auto tips. The workers get paid by Carnival to do a job and it should be done properly without tipping. I don't recieve tips for the work I do so why should others. I never tip and don't really care where my name is posted.

I always remove the auto tips. The workers get paid by Carnival to do a job and it should be done properly without tipping. I don't recieve tips for the work I do so why should others. I never tip and don't really care where my name is posted.

If you were paid what the Carnival workers were paid you'd starve to death.

What me and Hubby do is cut the tips in half to make sure those we don't see (the behind the scenes people) still get tips and then we personally tip the people who have made our cruise extra special! Our waiter, our steward and his assistant,etc :D That way No one gets left out

This cruise, my husband decided he wants to tip personally, with envelopes and a hand shake, like in the old days.

This is a bad idea. You cannot possibly tip all the people who deserve it. How about the staff at the buffet who serve you and clean your table? How about the people "behind the scenes" that you never see?

The auto-tip is distributed to all the staff who deserve the tip. It does a far better job of rewarding them than you ever could.

Also, many people remove the auto tip, and say they want to tip in cash, but are actually trying to save money. That's pathetic, and even if you are not one of them, the crew may regard you that way, especially when you don't tip them.

Because we want to pay in person, on our last night, like we use to do.

The service and work that they do is sometimes so overwhelming,

So if you actually believe what you are posting about how hard they work, why not LEAVE the tips alone and tip extra in the envelopes.

Archived