Itinerary more or less set - Input?

susiegpo

It's getting close - we are doing and independent land tour then the 7 night southbound on the Summit. Posted this on our roll call, so excuse the cut and paste repeat - but would like feedback from those in the know.

June 2 - fly to Anchorage, pick up van, stay at Holiday Inn Express by airport. Hope to have energy enough to do the Alaskan Native Heritage Center....

June 3 - drive to Talkeetna for 11 am McKinley Summit flight (Talkeetna Aero - use toursaver) and then on to Healy to Denali Lakeview Inn

June 4 - catch 7 am park service bus for drive to Fish Creek (lunch ordered to take with us thru Denali Lakeview Inn)

June 5 - Denali Kennels, maybe Nenana white water rafting, Cabin Nite dinner theater

June 6 - Drive to Talkeetna - another opportunity for flightseeing this day and the next in case we have weather cancellations. Otherwise just putz around Talkeetna and enjoy the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge

June 7 - Back to Anchorage, stopping along the way to check out Eklutna. Drop off van and stay at Ship Creek Comfort Inn

June 8 - Alaska RR to Seward, off the train and on to the Kenai Fjords full day cruise with Major Marine (including dinner). Check into 2 bedroom appt that Harborview has.

June 9 - Exit Glacier, explore Seward, do laundry!

June 10 - Board ship and hope to meet all our CC friends!

June 11 - Hubbard and relaxing.

June 12 - Skagway - Yukon Jeep Adventure

June 13 - Juneau - Orca Enterprises 11 am whale watch and perhaps the afternoon Historic Gold Mine tour - not decided on that one quite yet

June 14 - Icy Strait Point - Remote Bush Exploration and Wildlife Search

and have requested reservations at Normandie

June 15 - Ketchikan - Saxman Village and Misty Fjords with Island Wings

June 16 - enjoy the ship!

June 17 - Hampton Inn and Suites and explore Stanley Park (hotel has shuttle I think)

June 18 - Grab Vancouver tour bus and use that to get around the city and explore.

June 19 - Return to Baltimore :-(

I doubt we'll ever be able to make it back so we are pulling out all stops on this one just in case. If we are able to make it back, I'm sure there will be things that we are missing and will want to come back an revisit! DH is retired, as are our friends. I, sadly, still am working or we would have spent a bit more time in Vancouver as I love that city, and may have gone up to Fairbanks if we had time.

Looks great to me! You've allowed yourself several opportunities to fly over Mt. McKinley - which is great. I'll be interested in your review of the Denali Lakeview Inn, as I've read very good reviews of it.

Thanks for the feedback. The McKinley flight is a priority, so I wanted to make sure we get that in the trip. I have also read very positive reviews of Denali Lakeview Inn and the staff has been wonderful and responsive to my questions. I'll be sure to post a review upon my return.

Yes very nice itinerary. But you might also want to consider using your toursaver for Kenai Fjords with Renown- well run tours.

I would also suggest you drive Hatcher Pass, very very scenic.

Thanks Budget Queen! Your valuable input on this board was a guide in my choices. We decided on Major Marine partly due to the availability of a real meal on the full day cruise - one of our party is diabetic. I will do some more research on Hatcher Pass - is that a paved road?

You get a decent meal on Renown as well. But frankly, any diabetic should always carry food of their own when traveling. The cost savings with the coupon is a very good deal :)

Hatcher Pass is paved from the Palmer side to Independence Mine.

Archived