Baltimore port -- private car dropoff, pickup

jg51

We live very far from Baltimore, but we have friends who live not too far from the port. We are thinking about leaving our car at their house and getting rides from them, to and from the ship. This raises two problem areas that we have not been able to find addressed in past forum threads.

1. Will our friends be able to exit I-95 in the normal way and proceed to a convenient drop-off point, without having to pay for parking? (Equally important is that that they would need a simple way to exit the area and get back on I-95 to head northwest. Will it be easy for them to depart, and are there good signs leading them back to the freeway?)

2. When the cruise is over, will our friends be able to return to the port and pick us up in a convenient spot, without having to pay for parking (even if they have to wait a while until we appear)?

Thanks, in advance.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
We live very far from Baltimore, but we have friends who live not too far from the port. We are thinking about leaving our car at their house and getting rides from them, to and from the ship. This raises two problem areas that we have not been able to find addressed in past forum threads.

1. Will our friends be able to exit I-95 in the normal way and proceed to a convenient drop-off point, without having to pay for parking? (Equally important is that that they would need a simple way to exit the area and get back on I-95 to head northwest. Will it be easy for them to depart, and are there good signs leading them back to the freeway?)

2. When the cruise is over, will our friends be able to return to the port and pick us up in a convenient spot, without having to pay for parking (even if they have to wait a while until we appear)?

Thanks, in advance.

Yes to both questions. We saw a lot of cars dropping off people and then picking them up after the cruise. You may want them to wait some place other than the cruise ship terminal and call them when you are getting off and have your luggage, will probaby be less stressful for them.

We usually use airport shuttle (cheaper than paying parking for 9 days). Yes they can get in to drop you off and pick you up without paying parking fees. I assume you're coming from the south. Take exit 55 (the last exit before the tunnel), stay in the right lane and exit almost immediately (like 2/10's of a mile) into the parking lot. If you are coming from the North, get in the right lane when going through the tunnel since it will be an immediate exit when you get through the tunnel.

When they exit the lot they will exit going the same direction they were going when they entered the lot. They will make can either get on northbound 95 immediately or follow the road and make a u and then stay in the right lane and you can get on 95 southbound. It's easier than it sounds here.

There is a place in front of the terminal that you can drop off luggage then then enter the building with a setsail and birth certificate/passport to start the screening/check in process.

When they pick you up you will exit from the left side of the same building that you enter for check in. There will be benches that you can sit on if you get out before they arrive to pick you up and there is usually someone selling soda's, water, etc. if you get thirsty while waiting. Just be careful as there is no bathroom facilities while waiting to be picked up.

If there is anything I've forgotten, please ask. I've been fortunate to sail from the Port of Baltimore several times.

Yes to both questions. We saw a lot of cars dropping off people and then picking them up after the cruise. You may want them to wait some place other than the cruise ship terminal and call them when you are getting off and have your luggage, will probaby be less stressful for them.

We usually use airport shuttle (cheaper than paying parking for 9 days). Yes they can get in to drop you off and pick you up without paying parking fees. I assume you're coming from the south. Take exit 55 (the last exit before the tunnel), stay in the right lane and exit almost immediately (like 2/10's of a mile) into the parking lot. ...

When they exit the lot they will exit going the same direction they were going when they entered the lot. They will make can either get on northbound 95 immediately or follow the road and make a u and then stay in the right lane and you can get on 95 southbound. ...

There is a place in front of the terminal that you can drop off luggage, then enter the building with a setsail and birth certificate/passport to start the screening/check in process.

When they pick you up, you will exit from the left side of the same building that you enter for check in. There will be benches that you can sit on if you get out before they arrive to pick you up ... there is no bathroom facilities while waiting to be picked up. ...

We thank you for these FANTASTIC replies (especially you, "pjlee3333"). We could picture it as you described it, including the u-turn that will be necessary. We will have a planned pick-up time, and we will try to get out there a bit earlier, so that our friends will not have to wait, since we will not have a convenient way of phoning them to come for the pick-up.

We were concerned that it may be difficult or impossible for a third party to perform a drop-off and pickup, because of the high-security nature of the parking lot, but you two have put our minds at ease about this.

I haven't cruised Carnival for a while (usually do Royal Caribban, thus the 9 day cruises) so I'm assuming this part of Carnival is similar ro RC. Once you get through Customs and get your bags you are at a point you can use your cell phone and make a call your ride. Depending on how far they are from the ship by the time you get your bags and get out you may not have to wait long. The other option is to call them from the ship just before they call your number to get off the ship. (Royal Caribbean has it so you can use cell phones at this point without using their tower at this point - they have it turned off when you get into the bay the night before). This would give your ride an idea of if things are running early or late. By the time you get off, go though customs and get luggage and get out you may not have to wait long.

There will be people in uniforms out on the parking lot out but when your friends tell them that they are dropping you off/picking you up they will be directed where to go.

The U turn is also pretty easy - more of an "exit lane" to go back the opposit direction.

Don't want to be murphy's law here but we've always had a great experience with the Port of Baltimore and have done it several times.

My inlaws have sailed on the Pride twice and both times my sister-in-law has dropped them off and picked them up with no problem. Getting on and off 95 is easy. We park there when we go, it's just easier for us.

Thanks, "trptplayer22." We are glad to have this further confirmation.

... Once you get through Customs and get your bags you are at a point you can use your cell phone and make a call your ride. ... There will be people in uniforms out on the parking lot out but when your friends tell them that they are dropping you off/picking you up they will be directed where to go. The U turn is also pretty easy - more of an "exit lane" to go back the opposite direction. ...

Thanks again, "pjlee3333." We're glad to have the added information about the uniformed people directing traffic -- and about the u-turn. As to the first thing that you mentioned, however ...

Last time, I wrote, "We will have a planned pick-up time, and we will try to get out there a bit earlier, so that our friends will not have to wait, since we will not have a convenient way of phoning them to come for the pick-up."

The reason I said that "we will not have a convenient way of phoning them" is that we do not have a cellular phone, because we don't want to have one, for a few reasons. We also would not use a pay phone at the port, for a couple of reasons: (1) we don't know if our friends will have a phone in their car; and (2) our friends will be coming from about forty minutes away, so they will be leaving home according to our prearranged schedule. There would be no point in calling them, because they will be on the road.

The reason I said that "we will not have a convenient way of phoning them" is that we do not have a cellular phone, because we don't want to have one, for a few reasons. We also would not use a pay phone at the port, for a couple of reasons: (1) we don't know if our friends will have a phone in their car; and (2) our friends will be coming from about forty minutes away, so they will be leaving home according to our prearranged schedule. There would be no point in calling them, because they will be on the road.

Just didn't want you, or others, thinking they could call because of security reasons or cost of cell phone charges on the ship. I'm also spoiled by being fairly close (about 20 minutes) to the port, thus having the luxury of being called when a friend is about ready to leave the ship.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Archived