Advice for Pertha needed

PaulaJK

Hi PaulaJK,

I am a Perth local, and my recommendations would be:

Car service - taxis are (usually) readily available at the airport. Cost to the city centre would probably be around $40-$50. If you want to check, the major companies are Swan Taxis and Black and White Taxis.

Hotels - haven't stayed there myself, but the Holiday Inn Perth seems very well located. Maybe check Tripadvisor for other recommendations.

Restaurants - Matilda Bay Restaurant on the foreshore at Crawley (short taxi ride from the city) has beautiful views and great food. Similarly, Frasers at King's Park(itself a must-see attraction). At the cheaper end, Jamie's Italian opened not that long ago and has been very popular (no bookings but be prepared to wait). Perth has an abundance of cafes and restaurants, and alfresco dining in Northbridge (close to the city) Fremantle (where you will embark) and along the northern beaches to Hillarys Boat Harbour is very popular - the weather is generally pleasant to hot from Spring through to the end of Autumn.

Attractions - other than the aforementioned:

- cruise on the Swan River

- Cottesloe Beach/Scarborough Beach etc (all of our metropolitan beaches are outstanding (just swim between the flags!)

- The Swan Valley for wine tasting (plenty of nice restaurants here too)

- The Perth Mint for gold history and gold processing tour

- Perth Zoo (catch the ferry across to South Perth from the city centre)

- Art Gallery and Museum in Arts Precinct in Northbridge.

You don't say when you will be here, but in February every year we have our International Arts Festival with lots of activities on offer,some of it for free. I hope you enjoy our lovely city!

Aah yes - how could I have forgotten Rottnest (or Rotto, as we call it)? A ferry ride from the city, Hillarys or Fremantle, it's a very relaxing day swimming, snorkelling or cycling (bike hire available on the island). It's a car-free island but there is a bus that does the island round trip on a regular basis, and you can get off at various points of interest. There are lots of holiday units, a hotel, cafes, supermarket and a bakery. I would recommend it if you are really into swimming, snorkelling etc as the waters are beautiful.

When we were there last Feb, we took a taxi to the hotel. There's also a bus service, but it doesn't run during lunch time, and we didn't want to wait the 90 minutes for the next bus.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, and were treated well. It was in walking distance (for us) to Barrack Square and TransPerth.

If anyone in your party is interested in bells a visit to the Bell Tower might also be in order. My sister is an avid handbell ringer, so she loved it.

We will be staying in Perth for several days prior to embarkation...would appreciate any information re:

-car service from airport to city center hotel

-sights to see

-restaurants

-hotels you've stayed in

Thank you Paula

Before booking a trip to Rottnest - check the prices - you don't say what dates you are travelling - so here is a link to calculate the prices - to go from Perth City Barrack Street and return to Barrack Street - same day (I did a tentative booking for Nov 11 this year (might show on this link - $194.00 for 2 ) https://bookings.rottnestexpress.com.au/Reservation/frmOnlineBooking.aspx?j=R&P=FS&o=PER&d=ROT&r=PER&t=17NOV2014&f=17NOV2014&z=ADULT:2,- that's without coffee's the usual every day things - like something to eat - water- plenty of it.

IMHO Rottnest is now an expensive place to visit. I have also attached a copy of the CAT bus for Perth - it stops at the Perth Mint which is well worth a trip - you can have a coin minted. This is a free bus service all around Perth. http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/timetablepdfs/Perth%20CAT%20Timetable%20203%2020140127.pdf There is a fair bit of sight seeing here.

Also attached is a link to the swan valley winery - river cruises (I am running out of time with the post - I'll see what else I can gather up and attach later):eek: http://www.captaincookcruises.com.au/half-day-cruises

Edited by dizzy1948

We will be in Perth in early March, missing the arts festival I gather.

While the Swan Valley/wine boat trip sounds interesting, we might prefer to visit this area by land, wandering around and enjoying lunch. Possible? How to arrange? Any restaurant recommendations for that area?

• 2 weeks later...

While the Swan Valley/wine boat trip sounds interesting, we might prefer to visit this area by land, wandering around and enjoying lunch. Possible? How to arrange? Any restaurant recommendations for that area?

Here is a link for the Swan Valley tours attractions etc. http://www.swanvalley.com.au/Accommodation_and_Tours/Accommodation_Tours

I suppose now is a good time to tell you (if you haven't already worked it out) Perth is an expensive place. But don't be put off - there are lots of things to do and see that aren't expensive. It depends how long you are staying in Perth. If you want to go to the wineries, a car is the best way - unless you have deep pockets. You can jump the train in Perth and go into Fremantle for the day - lots of things to do and see - Fremantle Prison Tour, Fremantle market, E shed markets, Museum, shopping centre all within walking distance, could well take up a full day. You could catch the ferry to Fremantle from Perth jetty - Barrack Street. You could cross from Perth to South Perth to the Zoo on a ferry - depends on what you want to do. I can't comment on restaurants in Perth - far too expensive for me :eek: Though I believe Miss Mauds is fair and reasonable - and they also have accommodation.

There is lots of alfresco dining - but I don't know about the night time - Perth is a business district so the place dies after about 6.00pm.

If I was visiting - I would be looking to stay in Fremantle - and day visits to Perth. IMHO

Edited by dizzy1948

On the link I have just posted about the Swan Valley Tourist Centre - at the bottom on the right is a little map. You can catch a train at Perth Train Staion going to Midland. You get off the train at GUILDFORD station. Stand with your back to the train, and look to your right - you will see a white building (Post Office) about 200 metres away. Make your way towards there and you will see signs for the Swan Valley Tourist Centre - it is about 30 metres further up on the same side - call in there - and see what's going on - or start emailing them now, before you even go, and see what you can find out - day tours etc. Alternately, you can get off the train and look across the train track and you will see a little row of cafe's, and bric brac and antique shops. Nice to sit out and have a coffee and cake while you decide what you want to do.

Takes about 25 - 30 mins from Perth on the train.

Also,here is a link to the History of Guildford http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFkQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.perthtourism.com.au%2FDocuments%2F8020%2Fdownload%2F2093%2FGuildford-Heritage-Walk-Trails.pdf&ei=RIEwVLnLMoXj8AWSsYKACg&usg=AFQjCNFaoDlICEV4G8TBoqXmxEbgdykCrQ

Edited by dizzy1948

A very interesting, fun and informative way to tour the Swan Valley is with the Swan Valley Wagon Trails horse drawn wagon tour (swanvalleywa.com). You can do either a morning or afternoon tour (once you make your own way to the valley). You cover quite a lot of ground, with food and wine tasting and stops at historical points. I think it's pretty good value for the unique experience you get. You can't really "wander around" the Swan Valley on your own unless you have a hire car to drive between various places. It's been 10 years since we did this tour but I believe it's still very highly rated on Tripadvisor.

A very interesting, fun and informative way to tour the Swan Valley is with the Swan Valley Wagon Trails horse drawn wagon tour (swanvalleywa.com). You can do either a morning or afternoon tour (once you make your own way to the valley). You cover quite a lot of ground, with food and wine tasting and stops at historical points. I think it's pretty good value for the unique experience you get. You can't really "wander around" the Swan Valley on your own unless you have a hire car to drive between various places. It's been 10 years since we did this tour but I believe it's still very highly rated on Tripadvisor.

That is a fantastic tour - but apparently they are doing some of the tracks up - here is the link to the Swan Valley Wagon Trail - $85.00 per half day - but you get wine tasting, cheese tasting and other stuff - so it is good value - have a read and see what you think. http://swanvalleywa.com/?page_id=78

You could pre book - catch the early train - do your trip - and sleep all the way back to Perth on the train :D:p;)

Edited by dizzy1948