Anyone experienced 6000, 6001, 7000, or 7001 on an R ship?

Tarpeian Rock

The GTY for our cruise next week on Regatta turns out to be cabin 6000 looking forward. Not a site we would necessarily have chosen, but wondering if we've lucked into something, or not so much. We'll miss our usual ability to sit on the verandah and watch the ocean go by below, and that as a forward cabin it has a solid rail. We had also chosen a B-1 for its midships location, which 6000 obviously isn't, so we're going into this with some mixed emotions. Anyone else's experiences would be greatly appreciated.

The question has been asked and answered often.

Be prepared from hwavy winds and if your hearing is good, noise from the stage below. The views forward coming into ports can't be beaten. Some love the front but we have moved aft and love the broad and wake views.

Just decide you will love your cruise.....

a good reason not to book a GTY ;)

If you use the "search this thread" put in the cabin # it should bring up other posts

Well, yes, just did search. And now, after waiting a year for this cruise, we're quite unhappy based on the comments we found on the search. Not sure where to place the blame on all this, we don't understand why our TA didn't get us a cabin months ago instead of playing the GTY game. We always get a midships cabin with a clear balcony. Wife has motion issues. At our request the TA turned down all offers from O to change cruises, even with amazing inducements. We wanted THIS cruise. So I'm guessing 6000 is the O equivalent of punishing us and making us stand in the corner for being bad and sticking with this cruise instead of letting them sell our reservation to someone else. Apparently we should have taken one of their other offers. Cruise is next week, nothing to be done. This is the first - and last - cruise we've booked through a TA. The loss of control has been a harsh lesson.

Well, yes, just did search. And now, after waiting a year for this cruise, we're quite unhappy based on the comments we found on the search. Not sure where to place the blame on all this, we don't understand why our TA didn't get us a cabin months ago instead of playing the GTY game. We always get a midships cabin with a clear balcony. Wife has motion issues. At our request the TA turned down all offers from O to change cruises, even with amazing inducements. We wanted THIS cruise. So I'm guessing 6000 is the O equivalent of punishing us and making us stand in the corner for being bad and sticking with this cruise instead of letting them sell our reservation to someone else. Apparently we should have taken one of their other offers. Cruise is next week, nothing to be done. This is the first - and last - cruise we've booked through a TA. The loss of control has been a harsh lesson.

Maybe just the wrong TA

Do not tar all TA's with the same brush

You can always ask them to see if any other cabins may be still available

Some people actually book those forward cabins on purpose ...I am not one of them ;)

Enjoy the cruise

Calm seas

Lyn

I'm not one to defend Travel Agents who don't explain the Guarantee system properly to their clients, but it seems to me that if you weren't willing to accept a "luck of the draw" cabin, then you should not have allowed your Agent to put you into the Guarantee Pool.

Why didn't you book a specific cabin in the first place?

Edited by StanandJim

... We wanted THIS cruise. So I'm guessing 6000 is the O equivalent of punishing us and making us stand in the corner for being bad and sticking with this cruise instead of letting them sell our reservation to someone else. Apparently we should have taken one of their other offers. Cruise is next week, nothing to be done. This is the first - and last - cruise we've booked through a TA. The loss of control has been a harsh lesson.

If it's any consolation -- and from your tone it might not be -- offers to switch cruises are totally impersonal. I realize you're hearing from your TA so it seems as if there is human judgment or human cause and effect impacting this situation but the reality is quite different. Oceania keeps sending increasingly appealing offers to people holding a certain category reservation. The appropriate department starts with the first reservation in that category and just keeps going. Along the way, if someone accepts the offer, the process stops. If no one agrees, the process repeats itself with better and better deals. So far, I've referred to Oceania, but your TA is acting on behalf of the company. He/she is required to pass along these offers until you say, "Enough! We're not interested in changing! Please stop!" You can say this at any time in the process. But legally, your TA can't stop despite hearing the irritation in your voice or in your emails. You must state this explicitly. I'm surprised your TA didn't explain this to you since I have no doubt he/knows exactly how you've felt for a long time.

So we have a situation where everyone in your category has refused to accept Oceania's offers. There are so many folks in a similar situation that no one is singling you out for special punishment. And I use the word "punishment" facetiously. Right now, you're in a mood where punishment seems more real than joking. I'm very sorry you feel that way.

Does your TA have any clout with Oceania to get an alternate cabin assigned even if it means a bit more cost to you?

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

The GTY for our cruise next week on Regatta turns out to be cabin 6000 looking forward. Not a site we would necessarily have chosen, but wondering if we've lucked into something, or not so much. We'll miss our usual ability to sit on the verandah and watch the ocean go by below, and that as a forward cabin it has a solid rail. We had also chosen a B-1 for its midships location, which 6000 obviously isn't, so we're going into this with some mixed emotions. Anyone else's experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Had 6001 on an r class. Wind is really not bad, even when the ship is moving. Design does a good job of deflecting it upward and away from the verandah.

Biggest issue is with tender ports where they have to anchor. 6001 and 6000 are right over the anchor chain storage area. Very noisy when the anchor is being lowered and raised. Not an issue at ports where they dock, only tender ports.

Regarding your wife's motion sickness I totally sympathize. She should definitely get a prescription for patches (put behind her ear every 4 days) this should help her. I hope it all works out & you have a great cruise.

I've been in cabins 8000 7000, and 7004, all toward the front of the ship. I've just booked another cruise in cabin 7005. I am very prone to motion sickness and so far have not had a problem. I take a small Bonine tablet daily. If you actually look at a diagram of the ship, there is about 1/3 of the ship in front of these cabins. Would mid-ship be safer? For sure, but with the stabilizers this location may not be as bad as you fear.

I've been in cabins 8000 7000, and 7004, all toward the front of the ship. I've just booked another cruise in cabin 7005. I am very prone to motion sickness and so far have not had a problem. I take a small Bonine tablet daily. If you actually look at a diagram of the ship, there is about 1/3 of the ship in front of these cabins. Would mid-ship be safer? For sure, but with the stabilizers this location may not be as bad as you fear.

You obviously never had very high seas as we did.

Glad the Bonnie does it for you and that you did experience calm seas.

I am assuming you are sailing out of San Francisco on May 9. I just checked that cruise and there are other B-1 cabins available. B-2 is listed as guarantee.

You should never feel that you don't have control when using a TA. You just need one you feel more comfortable with.

I do hope you enjoy your cruise. We will be sailing some of those same ports on Regatta in a couple of months. New experience so looking forward to it.

We traveled in 6001 last July on Insignia. We chose it. Sleeping was so sound- the front to back rolling went across the bed rather than top to toe. This is the primary reason I picked it. Looking at the deck below was no problem. I did not notice any extra noises from the thrusters (as I was expecting). People we met were sick as a dog on a stormy evening, but midships, no difference between them and my husband. Wind was strong but only when we were underway, did not make a difference. I did not miss a glass balcony wall. Arriving in port was a joy. I have chosen the front of the ship again in March next year, on Marina.

Anita

There are both advantages and disadvantages to this cabin, and preference is very personal. I prefer aft cabins, others say they are stifling in a hot climate.

You will love the 180 degree view, which will be wonderful while transiting the canal and you might be very grateful for a bit of breeze.

As to your complaint about the TA sticking you in a guaranty, I really don't understand this. Whether I am speaking directly with the cruiseline or with a TA, I say, "I would like to book THIS cruise, and I would like THIS type of cabin. What is available?"

I can only assume that you did not tell the TA what you wanted, other than a balcony, and they thought that you had no strong preference. They then tried to save you a bit of money by booking a guaranty. As soon as you realized this was the case, you could have told the TA that you wanted something midship on portside or starboard. Anything you can request of the cruiseline, you can also request to your TA.

I don't mean to be snarky, but in the future you will know to make your preferences very clear. In any case, I bet you will have a wonderful cruise!

No. We had a GTY last year on the Regatta - concierge level, and we paid the same as everyone else (no cabins available in our class at the time we booked). From what we understood from our TA at the time, GTY is just that, a guarantee for that class or sometimes higher (if available). I have known people who did get an upgrade. We ended up with the cabin level we booked, which was fine.

Edited by Cruseforme

We were on guarantees on 2 cruises and last cruise we jumped 4 categories and had a great room; the one before we also ended up in an upgrade to a concierge.

But on our current cruise, we booked a guarantee for an E figuring we can always buy up to a higher cat. if we don't like what we get. Then I saw that our cruise was discounted quite a lot. Called my TA. Since we've already had to pay in full, she could only offer an upgrade. The upgrade was to an OV in 7007. This is a much larger stateroom but it's almost in the front next to the large suite. We face the side and don't have a veranda, which is fine.

Has anyone ever stayed in either 7007, 7006, 6006, 0r 6007? They are all larger with just a window.

OH, and BTW Lyn, no O doesn't offer any discount and the only way you can get a guarantee is to book a category which has no available rooms. They hope one will open up.

Thanks,

Jan

Edited by Cruiser Jane

OH, and BTW Lyn, no O doesn't offer any discount and the only way you can get a guarantee is to book a category which has no available rooms. They hope one will open up.

Thanks,

Jan

I did not think they did but do see people booking a GTY even when cabins are available so was curious why

For me I like to know where my cabin is ;)

The upgrade was to an OV in 7007. This is a much larger stateroom but it's almost in the front next to the large suite. We face the side and don't have a veranda, which is fine.

Has anyone ever stayed in either 7007, 7006, 6006, 0r 6007? They are all larger with just a window.

Thanks,

Jan

Jan:

We haven't been in every cabin category, but we've been in a lot of them. Have been in both 7006 & 7007. A lot of bang for the buck. It's a tough call for me. If I'm going to go with an OV, I prefer the location of the deck 4 cabins, but, clearly, the size of these two forward cabins make them much more comfortable. You don't seem to care about a balcony. Sometimes the itinerary is a factor for whether a balcony is important. I think you'll enjoy it. I personally wouldn't try the same cabins on deck 6. Over the years, I have heard people say there is a sound bleed from the Lounge, but none of that occurs on 7. Have fun.

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn. We're traveling in the Med. and in the Red Sea. I'm hoping for calm seas. We've had both in the Med. Have never been in the Red Sea.

I'm looking forward to the larger stateroom. We've had balconies and would like to have one, but our financial situation (with an empty house for sale) is not great. So this cruise is reasonable and we're trying to keep cost down. So we booked a "E" cabin (OV with obstructed view) and were on a guarantee. When the cruise was recently discounted, I called my agent and asked if we could get something back (already paid in full at this point). She said O will only allow an upgrade at this time to those 4 staterooms. I decided 7007 was the best and took it. So we'll see!