Overbooking?

PhillyGirl2

I'm sure many of you have received an email asking already booked passengers if they would like to give up their reservations for a choice of six other sailings. Well some are incredible--25 days from Lisbon to Cape Town for as much money as my 16 day sailing. How can this be? Unfortunately, I can't take advantage of this offer as I am limited to certain times of the year to cruise do to work commitments. I can't figure out how they can overbook to the point that they can make these offers. Do that many people cancel?

Just wondering!

In 2013 we were booked on Regent for an April Med cruise. Regent started offering the same type of deal to get us to give up our room.

We were booked in the second least expensive room category. We accepted a rebooking to late Sept, same itinerary with a no cost bump to a penthouse suite.

It was a great deal which coincided with our wedding anniversary, but I have wondered why they would bump someone from one of the least expensive rooms to one of the more expensive ones.

I only have clues as to how this works, but cruiselines are like airlines in this regard, they overbook by a small margin, if they can. If a sailing is very popular, or if they have late bookings that are attractive to them (a small group, for instance), then they have to try to "incentivize" some of their existing bookings to move. If they have sailings that aren't so popular, the "opportunity cost" of moving folks from more popular sailings is not great, even at a big discount. Think about it--if the cruiseline has a ship that's only 3/4 full, and they add ten or twenty passengers at a big discount, it's not really costing them much to do so--they still make enough to recoup the fixed passenger costs like food and services, but they probably make increased revenue on the popular cruise, which certainly is not going to be discounted. This is probably as clear as mud, but makes sense to me.

I only have clues as to how this works, but cruiselines are like airlines in this regard, they overbook by a small margin, if they can. If a sailing is very popular, or if they have late bookings that are attractive to them (a small group, for instance), then they have to try to "incentivize" some of their existing bookings to move. If they have sailings that aren't so popular, the "opportunity cost" of moving folks from more popular sailings is not great, even at a big discount. Think about it--if the cruiseline has a ship that's only 3/4 full, and they add ten or twenty passengers at a big discount, it's not really costing them much to do so--they still make enough to recoup the fixed passenger costs like food and services, but they probably make increased revenue on the popular cruise, which certainly is not going to be discounted. This is probably as clear as mud, but makes sense to me.

+1 Excellent explanation Wendy.

We are on the LA/MIA Panama Canal on June 22, and we were among those to receive the offer. The options were longer, and we would retain the PH!. Unfortunately, we made our own air arrangements, first class from MIA/LA, and we will be meeting friends. Maybe next time.

Mary

We are on the LA/MIA Panama Canal on June 22, and we were among those to receive the offer. The options were longer, and we would retain the PH!. Unfortunately, we made our own air arrangements, first class from MIA/LA, and we will be meeting friends. Maybe next time.

Mary

Can't help you with the "friends" part of it, Mary, but we have been in your position (having made our own Air Arrangements) where Oceania was still willing to go for the deal. They offered to cancel and re-book our flights at no cost (or effort) to us.

The moral to my story:

It all depends on how badly they want your room, so it never hurts to ask. ;)

Edited by StanandJim

I really don't understand it either, but we were able to take advantage of two opportunities on our last O cruise. Each with a cost reduction and improved cabin. We figured that one more offer and they'd pay us to cruise!

Glad you could take advantage of the opportunities..sometimes it feels like they are paying you!!

Jancruz1

<<snip>>

We were booked in the second least expensive room category. We accepted a rebooking to late Sept, same itinerary with a no cost bump to a penthouse suite.

It was a great deal which coincided with our wedding anniversary, but I have wondered why they would bump someone from one of the least expensive rooms to one of the more expensive ones.

2 things,

1) that is a DEAL! I'd've jumped at that like I was on a hot plate!

2) I gotta know as I am a musician and your handle is "tubeamps"... what's your favorite glass?

In 2013 we were booked on Regent for an April Med cruise. Regent started offering the same type of deal to get us to give up our room.

Oceania did the same for us several cruises ago. We went from a balcony cabin to a Penthouse at no cost.

At least no cost to them. Once we experienced a Penthouse and butler we were hooked and now that is all we book. So it was a good investment for Oceania as we now give them more money on a regular basis.

Next we are afraid of a free bump up to an Owners Suite. We can't afford that!!