Jewlery Shopping

Also, for jewelry insurance, the vast majority of policies do not pay you the amount the piece appraised for. They pay for REPLACEMENT of equal kind.

The diamond market fluctuates. Let's say you bought a $10,000 diamond ring and the appraisal was for $18,000.

Now you are paying an insurance premium for $18,000 NOT $10,000.

Your ring gets stolen and you put in a claim.

You think you are going to get either $18,000 cash or can get an $18,000 ring, right?

NOPE!

Let's say the price of diamonds went down, and now you can get the exact ring for $8,000.

Insurance lets you buy that $8,000 ring and you get not one dime more.

Let's say you can get the same ring for $10,000. Now you are even BUT you paid extra money on an inflated appraisal for the insurance policy. Too bad, so sad.

Let's say your ring doesn't get stolen, but you want to sell the ring you paid $10,000 for. It has an $18,000 appraisal. Can you ask $18,000? Sure you can ask it. You want to know what you will get for it?

$7,000 because it is USED and SECOND HAND. The second hand market is roughly (estimate) 30% less than retail.

Doesn't it all depend on the reason for buying a piece in the first place? Jewelry pieces often have some emotional investment that goes a long with them. Someone might prefer to have a diamond that reminds them of their visit to an island rather than one that reminds them of a visit to Amazon.com. Does that necessarily make them a fool even if they might spend more for the island diamond?

You are asking my opinion.

My opinion is yes, this buyer is a huge fool because he/she likely got a) scammed b) ripped off with a non certified diamond and a fake inflated appraisal and c) given alcohol to loosen them up for the scam.

Buy a bigger, nicer certified diamond with help from the people on Rocky Talky at Pricescope and then give it to your love on the cruise. (Makes lasting memories also)

Now you are smart!

Edited by spleenstomper

Again, diamonds are sold on MAKET VALUE based on the daily prices of the industry. (Kinda like the stock market)

WHY have people been scammed into believing the Caribbean has some magical diamond source of cheap diamonds exempt from the world trade values?!?

Cause that is what the shopping people lead you to believe on the cruise ship! Why do they lie? They likely get a cut of the sale.

So how exactly are you getting a terrific deal in the Caribbean? HINT: you aren't.

Friends don't let friends fall for jewelry scams!

Here is an example of how to read the worldwide market trading of diamonds:

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-prices/diamond-prices-chart

Here is the link to the Rocky Talky board at Pricescope where members help the public find beautiful certified diamonds from quality dealers. These diamonds will have idealscopes, ASETs and low HCA scores, so you can be guaranteed a brilliant, scintillating stone that is lively and bright.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/rockytalky.3/

Again, diamonds are sold on MAKET VALUE based on the daily prices of the industry. (Kinda like the stock market)

WHY have people been scammed into believing the Caribbean has some magical diamond source of cheap diamonds exempt from the world trade values?!?

Cause that is what the shopping people lead you to believe on the cruise ship! Why do they lie? They likely get a cut of the sale.

So how exactly are you getting a terrific deal in the Caribbean? HINT: you aren't.

Friends don't let friends fall for jewelry scams!

Here is an example of how to read the worldwide market trading of diamonds:

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-prices/diamond-prices-chart

All right already - we get it, you think you know EVERYTHING about jewelry........ Good grief:rolleyes:

Here is the link to the Rocky Talky board at Pricescope where members help the public find beautiful certified diamonds from quality dealers. These diamonds will have idealscopes, ASETs and low HCA scores, so you can be guaranteed a brilliant, scintillating stone that is lively and bright.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/rockytalky.3/

Pricescope isn't all that great either. I'm one of many who were banned for stating something the owner didn't like (nothing against the rules, they just didn't agree). And they would never tell anyone WHY they were banned. Be aware that they push particular sellers/dealers/jewelers on Pricescope. So, spleenstomper, what is your connection?

Pricescope taught me how to buy diamonds, and I have since purchased many and even designed a bespoke custom setting. All excellent results.

I have participated there for 5 years and have never seen anyone banned, except spammers.

Yes, I know PLENTY about buying diamonds. If anyone here wants help, just ask me. I am willing to help. There is a learning curve.

Pricescope taught me how to buy diamonds, and I have since purchased many and even designed a bespoke custom setting. All excellent results.

I have participated there for 5 years and have never seen anyone banned, except spammers.

Yes, I know PLENTY about buying diamonds. If anyone here wants help, just ask me. I am willing to help. There is a learning curve.

You wouldn't see them banned because no one talks about it when someone disappears. There are several posters on PS that are part of a clique that no one can ever, ever disagree with on any subject. There are other forums that people who have been banned post on. PS is not the be all, end all. I also learned a lot about jewelry on PS, but I don't feel they are everything to the industry nor do I need to hammer people on a cruise forum about it. You're pushing them a little too hard. I wasn't banned due to a post on rocky talk or show me the ring. I was banned due to a post on the "family" discussion portion. How dare I have a conservative viewpoint? I was slammed by a couple of the pet posters and the owner. At the time, they had private messaging and I had a few other posters who agreed with me send me messages of support but they were afraid to do it on the public forum. They have since gotten rid of PM because they didnt' like the fact that people were talking behind their backs. A lot of control issues there. BTW, I was able to get back on after I bought a new computer since they ban IP addresses and I used a different email address. I rarely go there except to look at settings.

Now, let's get back to what this thread was all about. There are good and bad jewelers in the Caribbean, just like anywhere. You need to know what you're looking for and what you like. There are plenty of us with experience and some very good jewelers have been mentioned.

That was a while ago. Wow, Sounds like a lot of drama...

What I am really advocating for is research! Any website along the lines of procescope where there are consumers to help other consumers get a good deal is helpful.

The bottom line is: don't get drunk and buy diamonds in the Caribbean.

I am passionate about this topic because it is heartbreaking to read people's stories about getting ripped off.

Here is the most recent story about DI: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Jewelry-Purchased-During-Cruise-Appraised-for-Fraction-of-Cost-438387553.html

Just do your homework before cruising too so you can make realistic price comparisons. Ask if a GIA or EGL certificate is available . (which can always be verified immediately on-line). Read reviews from a variety of sources to be an informed consumer. I don't think it's smart to shop drunk for anything.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

We also second (or tenth) the vote for Imperial Jewelers in St. Thomas. We've dealt with all the family and say hi to Uncle Charlie! Can also second Ballerina Jewelers in St. Maarten. Ask for Sunny Totwani. Nice young man and very knowledgable. Have a lot of fun!

I've heard of "fantastic prices on jewelry" in the Caribbean...Looking for suggestions on the best place in St Thomas to find the best deal on diamond rings or even just to buy a diamond.

THANKS!

I can highly recommend Cardow Jewels in St.Thomas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were diamond shopping a few years ago - hubby had lost my (insured) 3+ carat wedding ring and we were looking for a replacement. We connected with the shopping person onboard, told her exactly what we were looking for - she made the port shopping connections, and there was a "wholesaler" from the jewelry retailer onboard. It was truly a waste of our time.

We were diamond shopping a few years ago - hubby had lost my (insured) 3+ carat wedding ring and we were looking for a replacement. We connected with the shopping person onboard, told her exactly what we were looking for - she made the port shopping connections, and there was a "wholesaler" from the jewelry retailer onboard. It was truly a waste of our time.

Anything to do with the ship "shopping person" is likely to be a waste of time.