3 Weeks on a Small Ship: Our Ultra Un-Cruise Report

Shazzah

We took a month long trip to Alaska in May/June of 2013. We spent three weeks on a small (76 passenger) ship, cruising Southeast Alaska. This was actually 3 week-long Un-Cruise Adventures combined to make the longer trip.

We traveled from Juneau to Ketchikan, back to Juneau, then on to Sitka via Glacier Bay National Park.

We had a wonderful time, and were lucky to have good weather much of the time. Highlights included seeing Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glaciers, Misty Fjords National Monument (including flight seeing with Island Wings), Glacier Bay National Park, learning about Alaska and Tlingit culture, visiting Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, and much more.

We saw lots of wildlife, but that didn't really pick up until the second week of our trip. Scenery was amazing, and we enjoyed life on the small ship.

We ended the trip with a short tour to Denali, and also visited Redoubt Bay in Lake Clarke National park.

Our report is quite long, although it is mostly photos. There are links to allow you just to skim a particular day or week. I will be happy to answer questions, since I got so much information here when planning the trip.

Our Ultra Alaska Un-Cruise Adventure

We took a month long trip to Alaska in May/June of 2013. We spent three weeks on a small (76 passenger) ship, cruising Southeast Alaska. This was actually 3 week-long Un-Cruise Adventures combined to make the longer trip.

We traveled from Juneau to Ketchikan, back to Juneau, then on to Sitka via Glacier Bay National Park.

We had a wonderful time, and were lucky to have good weather much of the time. Highlights included seeing Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glaciers, Misty Fjords National Monument (including flight seeing with Island Wings), Glacier Bay National Park, learning about Alaska and Tlingit culture, visiting Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, and much more.

We saw lots of wildlife, but that didn't really pick up until the second week of our trip. Scenery was amazing, and we enjoyed life on the small ship.

We ended the trip with a short tour to Denali, and also visited Redoubt Bay in Lake Clarke National park.

Our report is quite long, although it is mostly photos. There are links to allow you just to skim a particular day or week. I will be happy to answer questions, since I got so much information here when planning the trip.

Our Ultra Alaska Un-Cruise Adventure

Thank you for such a lovely review...and your pictures are amazing! I loved it all!

I am so glad you posted your link, Shazzah! I loved reading about your experiences on a small ship...so unique compared to all of the other Alaska cruise reviews.

And as for the photos...well they are in a class of their own! I have your site bookmarked and will go back to look at those amazing photographs again and again! :)

Thank you so much for sharing! Your photos are stunning!
Thanks for the kind comment.

Thank you for such a lovely review...and your pictures are amazing! I loved it all!
Thank you - it was a once in a lifetime trip for us.

I am so glad you posted your link, Shazzah! I loved reading about your experiences on a small ship...so unique compared to all of the other Alaska cruise reviews.

And as for the photos...well they are in a class of their own! I have your site bookmarked and will go back to look at those amazing photographs again and again! :)

AryMay - thanks for the encouragement to post my link. Glad you enjoyed it, since I am enjoying your report do much.

Thank you!!!

It took me over 2 hours to read everything and look at all the pictures' date=' but it was amazing! Your photos are mesmerizing and magical! That was truly an unforgettable journey. Thanks for letting us come along![/quote']Oops - sorry to steal 2 hours of your time, but thanks for the kind words.

I see you are from Riverside - I happen to be a UCR alumnus. Small world.

Excellent.

May I ask what camera you used?

Keith

Keith - I used a Canon 5DMIII with the 100-400mm lens for many of the wildlife shots. Lots of the landscape shots were taken with the Sony RX 100 (a great small camera to supplement a DSLR), and the Canon SX50 Super zoom was used for many of the shots from the Skiff Tours.

Thanks for the report, great photos!
Thank you, Kirk.

Thank you!!!

It took me over 2 hours to read everything and look at all the pictures' date=' but it was amazing! Your photos are mesmerizing and magical! That was truly an unforgettable journey. Thanks for letting us come along![/quote']

It took me two hours too but it was well worth it. fantastic pictures. Thanks so much for sharing1

Thanks for the comments.

I'm going to post some of what I consider highlight photos in this thread. I know not everyone wants to take the time to look at such a long report. And, selfishly, I am planning our 2015 return to Alaska, and this gives me a reason to go back and review.

Tracy Arm Fjord

Eastern%20Coves%20May19-3-L.jpg

Early View of South Sawyer Glacier:

Eastern%20Coves%20May19-12-L.jpg

The Glacier Face

Eastern%20Coves%20May19-23-L.jpg

Close to the face - taken from the zodiac:

Eastern%20Coves%20May19-26-L.jpg

One of the groups out on the water/ice:

Eastern%20Coves%20May19-48-L.jpg

Will add some more later.

I'm glad you are posting some of your photos here but it is going to be hard to pick out the highlights when ALL of your pictures are so good!

Once people see these, they will have to read your blog just because they will want MORE! :)

We're doing an UnCruise in a month. Although we've lived in Alaska for 42 years, we've never done SE Alaska with Uncruise. Can't wait since our itinerary includes two full days in Glacier Bay.

My nephew just took this spectacular shot of Mt. McKinley/Denali yesterday.

IMG_20140705_135527.jpg.b7981158a4e18ae918c2c4f22190507a.jpg

Edited by Chenega

Thanks for the comments.

I'm going to post some of what I consider highlight photos in this thread. I know not everyone wants to take the time to look at such a long report. And, selfishly, I am planning our 2015 return to Alaska, and this gives me a reason to go back and review.

Tracy Arm Fjord

Eastern%20Coves%20May19-3-L.jpg

Early View of South Sawyer Glacier:

Eastern%20Coves%20May19-12-L.jpg

The Glacier Face

Eastern%20Coves%20May19-23-L.jpg

Close to the face - taken from the zodiac:

Eastern%20Coves%20May19-26-L.jpg

One of the groups out on the water/ice:

Eastern%20Coves%20May19-48-L.jpg

Will add some more later.

Amazing!

I'm a little confused on pricing. Did you have to pay extra for each of the hikes, skiff, and kayaking excursions off the ship or were those included? Were you nickel and dimed like what many of the mainstream lines are doing now or were most things included in the price? If you paid extra, what did the prices range at?

I'm a little confused on pricing. Did you have to pay extra for each of the hikes, skiff, and kayaking excursions off the ship or were those included? Were you nickel and dimed like what many of the mainstream lines are doing now or were most things included in the price? If you paid extra, what did the prices range at?

Almost everything was included. There was a $40 per person charge to do snorkeling. Our trip had no options for bear viewing, flight seeing or fishing charters (other than the independent ones we did on changeover days, which were not arranged by Un-Cruise)) - these would be extra if available.

Alcoholic drinks were extra, but priced very reasonably. You ran a tab and paid at the end - very easy.

When comparing the cost of an Un-Cruise week, I think it makes since to add $$ to a large ship week for the excursions you will do. (Un-Cruise will still be more expensive than many other options, unless you normally travel in a suite or on a higher priced line - but we felt it was good value).

Edited by Shazzah