birth cert question

mbclaw13

This is what Carnival says: Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

A photo copy is not an original or a certified copy

You will also need a photo ID

The DHS regulations specify original or copy of a birth cert, but I would play it safe and bring at least a certified copy.

www.getyouhome.gov

Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization).

we are traveling with an 18 year old that doesnt have a passport or D. L. he has a copy of the birth certificate will the copy be enough or does it have to be original?

He needs a state issued photo ID. He can not cruise without one. If he can't get his DL, he can get a state ID at the DMV.

Using a school ID is one of those things where it may work, but if not, you won't get onboard. Carnival says "State Issues Photo ID"

If you get a port agent who wants the state one, you're screwed. I wouldn't take the chance.

He needs a state issued photo ID. He can not cruise without one. If he can't get his DL, he can get a state ID at the DMV.

I missed the DL part. A learner's permit will work as long as it has a photo, so maybe that's the way to go instead of a state id (unless of course he doesn't want to learn to drive).

we are traveling with an 18 year old that doesnt have a passport or D. L. he has a copy of the birth certificate will the copy be enough or does it have to be original?

It needs to be a certified copy, not a photocopy. If you are living in the town he was born, you should be able to get one from the Hall of Records (Office of Vital Records). If not, you will need to send for one. Being 18, I would HIGHLY suggest going to your local DMV and getting him a photo ID.

It needs to be a certified copy, not a photocopy. If you are living in the town he was born, you should be able to get one from the Hall of Records (Office of Vital Records). If not, you will need to send for one. Being 18, I would HIGHLY suggest going to your local DMV and getting him a photo ID.

Ah yes, I didn't notice the copy. A copy will not work.

Sse the link in my signature to make sure you have what you need.

Original birth certificate

Photo I.D.

If he doesn't have a D.L. her can get a state photo i.d. at the drivers license department. Or if his school has a photo i.d. that should work as well.

I seriously doubt if a school photo id is considered a secure state issued id. You may find out the hard way that it isn't.

Also, note that it must be an enhanced driver's license, not a standard one - "Enhanced Driver's License – This is a driver’s license that can also be used as a cross-border travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. It denotes both identity and citizenship, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative." Many states have chosen not to participate in this EDL program.

It would be a lot easier just to get a passport.

DON

Birth certificate needs to a certified original from the health department (not the one with the cute little baby feet from the hospital)...a certified copy will have a raised seal.

Since they are 18 (over 16) and do not have a passport they will need a state issued ID. This can be a drivers license, learners permit or simply a state issued id card easily obtainable from the DPS office. It can take a few weeks to get this ID so I suggest you start early...I've received "renewals" in as little as a week to as much as 6 weeks.

I seriously doubt if a school photo id is considered a secure state issued id. You may find out the hard way that it isn't.

Also, note that it must be an enhanced driver's license, not a standard one - "Enhanced Driver's License – This is a driver’s license that can also be used as a cross-border travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. It denotes both identity and citizenship, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative." Many states have chosen not to participate in this EDL program.

It would be a lot easier just to get a passport.

DON

A government issued photo id is sufficient, it does not take an EDL.

he does have a state permit just not a D. L. but I thought even with the photo ID you needed an original copy of the birth cert to board.

The state permit will work if it has a photo- it is a government issued photo id (my teens used theirs for boarding). An original birth cert would be the best document but a certified copy will do according to CCL.

A photo id is required for anyone over 16. My niece came with us in January... so we had her get a State ID since she did not have a drivers license... that worked just fine along with her original birth certificate and a letter signed by both parents that she had permission to travel with us.

Some state birth certificates do not have raised seals. I have a Florida birth certificate and a new (issued under the new law) Puerto Rican birth certificate in front of me, and neither has a raised seal. I would say order what the state of birth has... certified copy or the like... not a photo copy, and not the commemorative copy you get from the hospital, one issued from the state vital records or similar entity.

Birth certificate needs to a certified original from the health department (not the one with the cute little baby feet from the hospital)...a certified copy will have a raised seal.

Not all state issued birth certificates have a raised seal - some have water marks (like mine!) I ordered mine from vitalchek.com since I don't live near where I was born.

• 1 month later...
This is a circumstance that the Passport card would come in handy. It is only $30. If you have time to get one, it would be all he needs.

Wow...wish our passports were that cheap. In Tennessee it was going to cost at least $100 to get one for my husband so we decided to stick with the certified copy of bc.

I got a passport for myself two years ago and it was $80.

This is a circumstance that the Passport card would come in handy. It is only $30. If you have time to get one, it would be all he needs.

Wow...wish our passports were that cheap. In Tennessee it was going to cost at least $100 to get one for my husband so we decided to stick with the certified copy of bc.

I got a passport for myself two years ago and it was $80.

theomarvin was talking about the passport Card.

lots of opinions but not all facts.

Here it is nice and simple

(1) some state don't use a raised seal instead they may have a multi colored stamp. That is fine.

(2) School ID is not good enough. Go to the motor vehicle Dept. and get him a State I.D.

(3) There are 100's of people on this forum that always insist you have to have a passport, that is simple an opinion, my family has cruised with me 6 times without one, and yes they will say what if you have an emergency and have to fly back. Well if we are going to play the what if game it will be a never ending argument.

I have a feeling there will be dozens of posters who try to say I am wrong somewhere, but this is how it is don't let people complicate things.

I am almost 30 and I still cruise with my OFFICIAL short form birth certificate and my driver's license. A state ID would work as well but you ID must come from the state and the certificate can NOT be a copy. Mine happens to have a raised seal but as others have posted, some do not but have some other way of validating its authenticity. Your kid should be fine :)

Archived