Best Beach for Snorkeling

phinfan63

The western beachs - Cas Abou, Porto Marie, even Blue Bay - have great snorkeling. We spent a week in Curacao a few years ago and also it was one of our ports last year. We took a ship's excursion to Blue Bay which included snorkel equipment.

I actually did get a quote from Smallfield Adventures which was $270 for 2 hrs for up to 6 people which includes open bar and snacks.

There are 4 in our group so I just need to see if the other couple wants to do this or just wing it at one of the beaches.

• 3 weeks later...

DW and I are longtime avid snorkelers and have done more then our share on Curacao. While many cruisers will find themselves at the so-called Marine Underworld Park (which is not really a park) this is just not a place we like to snorkel...although the SCUBA here can be quite rewarding. But we prefer the quiet (sometimes empty) beaches on the far Northwest part of the island (about 30 miles from the port). Probably the best known beach for snorkeling (in this area) is called Playa Kalki but we often prefer the quieter and more sheltered Kleine Knip and Jeremi Beach. In fact, the last time we drove out to these beaches we were the only souls. There are generally no facilities (there are some rest rooms but they are sometimes locked) but perhaps that is why we like this part of the island. You do need a rental car for these places, but we can almost guarantee that you will not see any other cruise ship passengers on these beaches :).

I should add that the beaches on the Western side of the island have limited protection from the sea, so if it is a windy day it can create some problems. If the wind kicks up the seas, then the seas will kick up some sand, etc etc.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Just another note about Blue Bay. We took the ship's excursion on the Curacao Beach Express bus. This worked for us, as the bus picked us up, so it was an easy return to the ship.

Also, as someone mentioned, Blue Bay rents snorkel equipment.

You can google Blue Bay and send them an e-mail for info.