Cunard Victoria - Approximate Alcohol Cost for a TA?

SavvyCruiserNJ

Hey guys - wondering what you budget for alcohol / wine on an 8 day transatlantic? I budgeted 1,000$ (US) for two people for 8 days is that reasonable (considering wine with dinner etc)?

By my rusty calculations, $1,000 for 8 days for two people would mean $62.50 per person per day including the undisputable 15% surcharge of $9.37.

Which means if each of you don't run up a bar tab of more than $53.13 per day pp, you're right on budget. Of course, what is a 'reasonable expenditure' is an individual decison. I set a budget for all on-board spending as those on board charges can really add up! Oh, and if you decide to purchase a future cruise credit while on board, for US residents, that means $300 per person on your credit card bill in addition to your on board charges. Just food for thought :) -S.

Although I don't drink much at all... I am thinking a Kir Royale or two a day may not be a bad thing... :D

I'm with you on that one .... the Hibiscus Royale very nice too.

We found that wine prices per bottle were quite reasonable, but onboard spending does have a way of creeping up without you realising though. (Well it does if you're too busy enjoying yourself to notice ;-) )

Not many guests are aware that Cunard have their own house wine ( a selection of three or four whites and reds) It's quite acceptable and the cost is about $29 + 15%. ... just ask for the 'Cunard label'

If like me you prefer a glass of wine pre dinner (in any of the bars) then it's more ecconomical to buy a full bottle ..... just like the restaurant, the bar staff will look after it for you for when you next return.

Bell Boy ;)

Not many guests are aware that Cunard have their own house wine ( a selection of three or four whites and reds) It's quite acceptable and the cost is about $29 + 15%. ... just ask for the 'Cunard label'

Bell Boy ;)

Do you know if Cunard is still supplied by Wente?

Mary

I'm with you on that one .... the Hibiscus Royale very nice too.

We found that wine prices per bottle were quite reasonable, but onboard spending does have a way of creeping up without you realising though. (Well it does if you're too busy enjoying yourself to notice ;-) )

Hi Mattsmum - remember me? :) I will try the Hibiscus Royale on my t/a in May :D

If like me you prefer a glass of wine pre dinner (in any of the bars) then it's more ecconomical to buy a full bottle ..... just like the restaurant, the bar staff will look after it for you for when you next return.

Bell Boy ;)

It's actually against the law to buy a bottle and not finish it in one sitting. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We were on a Princess cruise with lots of sea days. We bought a wine card which entitled us to 10 bottles of wine, discounted. I think the cost was around 300 dollars. We also brought a couple of bottles on board with us. That lasted the entire trip. We did buy a couple of drinks/champagne, but no where near 1000 dollars. Maybe 100 dollars, including the coffee cards my husband had to have. We were on the ship for a month and had at least 20 at sea days. ;)

On our 6-night QM2 crossing our bar bill was £600 approx ($950) so it would be reasonable - I guess?? - to expect to spend around £800 for our upcoming 8-night crossing. We'll generally go for the house wines with dinner and I love my cocktails so will be trying a few of those!

This is like asking "how long is a piece of string"

Will you be drinking beer or glasses of "the Widow" at $40 per glass???????

To those with a a taste for Kir Royal or Hibiscus these will cost about $14 per glass, Pinot around $7.50

Have fun

To those with a a taste for Kir Royal or Hibiscus these will cost about $14 per glass, Pinot around $7.50

Have fun

How long IS a piece of string?

Also what is "the Widow" that sounds interesting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The maker of the champagne concerned was a widowed lady who made a very good champagne. I am not an expert (cannot afford to be), but wish I were.

I love Kir Royal and Hibiscus but can only indulge once in a blue moon. Cruachan, I love "scrumpy" and "tiddy oggies".

Oh dear that shows I only belong in Britannia.

I was thinking the same as I went down the thread.

Are you an alcoholic or barely drink? Do you want mixed drinks or high-end whiskies, brandies, and wines?

If you are doing mixed drinks, like the martinis and juleps and collins etc., think about $10/drink for an average. So 2 people with 4 drinks a day by 8 days is 2•4•8•10=$640.

If prudent, don't drink so much on the last night so you aren't sluggish on shore. So maybe $600. That's an average for that type of drinking and those types of drinks. If you are the type that loves alcohol and will sit around in the bars half the time and read books, etc., you can really go for it and $1000 will vanish easily.

Archived