Waitlist for Window Suite

Babr

I hope to book a window suite on the CB, but the cruise I'm watching has been sold out in that category for months now. When I called, I was told I could be waitlisted. I did not put down a deposit at this time because I'm wondering how likely it is that any will become available since there are only seven of them.

If people holding those cabins do not cancel, is Princess likely to offer them upsells or upgrades since they have a list of people to whom they can resell the cabins immediately?

We were offered a WS for our Jan 5th sailing approximatley one month ago. We had originally booked an OV cabin. The upsell was offered first to all past passengers booked in OV cabins. We took the upsell for $149.00 per person.

I've never noticed any waitlists for those cabins. They usually are given out as upgrades since most people I know don't want them since there is no balcony and also the location. I know there has been a little more talk about them lately here on CC. Just like the aft balconies - when everyone talks them up so much, they become popular and the price goes up and they book up right away.

I'd never stay in one - love my balconies too much. To me - they aren't a suite.

I've never noticed any waitlists for those cabins. They usually are given out as upgrades since most people I know don't want them since there is no balcony and also the location. I know there has been a little more talk about them lately here on CC. Just like the aft balconies - when everyone talks them up so much, they become popular and the price goes up and they book up right away.

I'd never stay in one - love my balconies too much. To me - they aren't a suite.

I realize most people on these boards regard the window suites with disdain; nevertheless, a waitlist exists. Because they are not usually sought after and because they are few in number, I'm thinking a waitlist may not operate in the same manner as waitlists for other categories.

If Princess uses them to fill GTY cabins or upgrades from minisuites, they run the risk of unhappy customers. If they offer upsells or upgrades to OV passengrs, they lose revenue.

It makes sense to me that Princess could generate more revenue by offering upgrades or upsells to people who currently hold WS cabins, then resell those cabins to people on the waitlist who have expressed a desire to have one.

Just aking.

Had friends who were #2 on the waitlist for a WS on the CB for the TA this Spring and they got a cabin. We were #1 on the waitlist for a WS on the Golden this past September and also got a cabin. YMMV. Once we cleared the waitlist the $200 waitlist charge was our deposit. You can't use FCC and get that OBC if you make it off the waitlist however.

I realize most people on these boards regard the window suites with disdain; nevertheless, a waitlist exists. Because they are not usually sought after and because they are few in number, I'm thinking a waitlist may not operate in the same manner as waitlists for other categories.

If Princess uses them to fill GTY cabins or upgrades from minisuites, they run the risk of unhappy customers. If they offer upsells or upgrades to OV passengrs, they lose revenue.

Just aking.

I would br irritated if booking a mini suite with a balcony and I get upgraded?!?!? To a cabin without a balcony.... Thats probably why they offer them as upsells to OV categories

I would br irritated if booking a mini suite with a balcony and I get upgraded?!?!? To a cabin without a balcony.... Thats probably why they offer them as upsells to OV categories

Nobody has ever posted being involuntarily upgraded from a cabin with a balcony to a window suite.

...If people holding those cabins do not cancel, is Princess likely to offer them upsells or upgrades since they have a list of people to whom they can resell the cabins immediately?
That would be dependent on the availability of upsell cabins to offer them. Usually, suites are one of the first categories to sell out, so in most cases there would not be anything to upsell the WS bookings to, whether or not there is a waitlist for the WS. Your best opportunity to get a WS on your desired cruise will be to waitlist for it. The earlier you waitlist, the lower your number, the higher your chances of being called and told that a room is available....regardless of whether its availability was due to a cancellation or an upsell.

That would be dependent on the availability of upsell cabins to offer them. Usually, suites are one of the first categories to sell out, so in most cases there would not be anything to upsell the WS bookings to, whether or not there is a waitlist for the WS. Your best opportunity to get a WS on your desired cruise will be to waitlist for it. The earlier you waitlist, the lower your number, the higher your chances of being called and told that a room is available....regardless of whether its availability was due to a cancellation or an upsell.

People frequently say that, but in this case all other suite categories are currently open with several choices at some levels. At $5000 pp and up, they are not selling fast. They may sell out eventually, but they are not the first to go.

That is why I said usually. Without knowing the specific sail date and ship, it is impossible to know the percentage of suite categories sold or if a similar itinerary on a subsequent or prior week is selling differently. Your posts are hopeful that upsells will occur within the WS. That will depend on the suite sold/occupancy levels in the months prior to sailing. The critical issue, and what I think you are wondering about, is that Princess will do what it takes to occupy every cabin on a ship, and that includes upgrades if needed to move people into empty categories. What nobody knows now is whether the suites above WS will be needed to be filled sometime prior to sailing.

Your theory about upgrading vis-a-vis minis and revenue is a little bit off; Princess does not upgrade minis or balconies into the WS due to the balcony absence, only OV would be upgraded into the WS. In any event, the theory is irrelevant to your case because there is a waitlist. When a category is waitlisted no upgrades will occur into that category until the waitlist is cleared. And Princess will only upgrade out of the WS if there is a need to fill the higher suites. You are hoping they will, they are hoping somebody will buy the suites first. Being the lowest suite, WS cabins are becoming popular among people who don't care if they have a balcony or not. They get full suite privileges at a lead-in price. It is very similar to 100 people buying BG guarantee knowing there were only four of those on the ship and they would likely be upgraded. Princess rarely sells a WS guarantee as there are few places to move them up to.

My point is that you won't know whether Princess upsells the WS or not unless you are on the waitlist and your number comes up. There are many reasons why a cabin category becomes available; sometimes one sailing has a lot of cancellations, sometimes not. If there are empty rooms, Princess will do what it takes to fill them; upgrades, a few upsells, and bargain basement sale pricing when needed.

It is very similar to 100 people buying BG guarantee knowing there were only four of those on the ship and they would likely be upgraded.

With the new method of classifting cabins, the number in the lowest balcony catehory goes from 4 to 88 on the Ruby and its twins. Now all but 12 bookings of that 100 will get exactly what they booked.

We booked a WS on the Golden for May 2013 and they have been sold out now for about a month. All other suite categories a lot of availability. We are looking forward to our WS and doubt we will miss the balcony.

We have a window suite on the Golden in April and the last time I looked most were still available. We had a suite with a balcony on our Ruby cruise and I think I stepped out there three or fours times to look at the wake for a few minutes. It was a waste of money for us, so we'll try the window suite instead. Plus, I think the location looks great. We like to head up to the Lido deck to watch the sailing in and out of ports.

Denise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, cherylandtk. You got to the heart of what I was asking and addressed it.

I have never heard of anyone being upgraded from a WS, but there are lots of reports of people in minis being offered upgrades/upsells to full suites. That is why I couldn't see any way for a WS waitlist to clear. However, if Princess moves people out of the WS to fulfill a waiting list, that would be pretty easy to do.

Thank you, cherylandtk. You got to the heart of what I was asking and addressed it.

I have never heard of anyone being upgraded from a WS, but there are lots of reports of people in minis being offered upgrades/upsells to full suites. That is why I couldn't see any way for a WS waitlist to clear. However, if Princess moves people out of the WS to fulfill a waiting list, that would be pretty easy to do.

I don't believe it is people being upgraded to a full suite, but rather cancellations. Our friends waitlisted a WS in October for the CB TA this April. They were number two on the waitlist, but cleared in less than two weeks. Princess was certainly not upgrading people from WS to full suites six months before the cruise. We were number one on the waitlist for a WS and cleared less than two weeks before final payment. Another person on the Roll Call cancelled a WS about two days before final payment.

With the new method of classifting cabins, the number in the lowest balcony catehory goes from 4 to 88 on the Ruby and its twins. Now all but 12 bookings of that 100 will get exactly what they booked.

Bill, I was thinking of that when I wrote the example; and changed the tense to past. For purposes of illustration it still works but you are exactly correct that the recat will change the status quo.

• 1 month later...

Did the rep explain the difference between "open" and "available"? Since the cruise is in May, it has not passed final payment so I'm not sure why they would be open but not availabe unless there are a lot of temporary holds on them while people decide to book.

Do you know how far down the list you are?

Window Suites for the May Alaska cruises are wait listed.. I talked to a Princess rep and was told that there were some "Open" but not yet "available". So, I wait listed for the $200 refundable deposit..

Remember if you clear the waitlist you are at the mercy of Princess as far as the price they charge. It will most likely be quite high. :(

Archived