Splendida New Year Cruise

Caravan 37

I've only spent one New Year on a MSCAND ship and it was outstanding.. One of the best I've ever celebrated. That was however on the much smaller Opera and we were in Madeira where they have the most amazing firework display. Each parish on the island does their own thing and plan it months in advance and try to outdo each other.

The ship had a gala dinner that evening and most made the effort to dress up nicer than usual. There were around another 10 Scots onboard and the men had brought full highland dress with them . It was a warm night, so we were able to stand up on deck for the fireworks and party without jackets. The Prosecco flowed freely for a bit.

We were there as aort of a repositioning cruise so that also makes a difference to the atmosphere and passenger interaction.

I'm not so sure there would be anything so special in Tunis. MDC will still have a gala dinner and party but not sure there will be much to watch onshore.

I did it on Splendida a few years back.

It was celebrated onboard, but it wasn't anything majorly different from any party.

The menu was similar to normal. It was a formal night, so had the standard attire for that. They had a countdown in the atrium, but it was too crowded for the public areas. There weren't any carvings or anything special like I had on Celebrity.

So nice enough, and it's celebrated, but not anything especially memorable.

Mairi..........it sounds to me like you were very lucky to be in Madeira at the time. You discussed this on another thread recently and your account made me sooooo envious to the point where I was regretting not booking a NYE cruise this year.

However, The Big M has put paid to that! It sounded more like what I imagine is probably the norm.

A good subject for a thread, though, as it's something that doesn't get much coverage due to it's specific time-frame.

Mairi..........it sounds to me like you were very lucky to be in Madeira at the time. You discussed this on another thread recently and your account made me sooooo envious to the point where I was regretting not booking a NYE cruise this year.

However, The Big M has put paid to that! It sounded more like what I imagine is probably the norm.

A good subject for a thread, though, as it's something that doesn't get much coverage due to it's specific time-frame.

I think Madeira is very popular for ships for NYE. Think the maximum number is 4 that sit out at anchor in the bay, before docking after the fireworks.

I've also done NYE oer rather Hogmanany on Costa in the Arabain Gulf and it was pretty much what Big M said. So if you want something special, look for a ship going to Madeira! Sydney may be excellent too!

I think Madeira is very popular for ships for NYE. Think the maximum number is 4 that sit out at anchor in the bay, before docking after the fireworks.

I've also done NYE oer rather Hogmanany on Costa in the Arabain Gulf and it was pretty much what Big M said. So if you want something special, look for a ship going to Madeira! Sydney may be excellent too!

Yes the fireworks display on NYE in Sydney Harbour is a sight to behold. My wife and I spent one NYE on a yacht there. Highly recommend. However landside it is crowded and you have to get there Dec 30 and camp out to get a good spot. It's the height of summer here that time of year ....

We did NYE on the Splendida a couple years ago and were somewhat disappointed. Food was very good that night and we got a free bottle of sparkling wine, but somehow there was no special atmosphere on board.

We were in Barcelona that day, but left around 18:00 and by midnight were in the middle of the sea with no land in sight. The entertainment team did a little countdown in the Club 33 and afterwards they showed a film of some fireworks on the screen on the pool deck.

Other than that, things were not different than on the other nights.