tortola from 7am to 1pm

heresjohnnytonight

First time cruising for us,we are going on the ncl gem in Oct.This is such a short time in port I was wondering if anyone else had this happen and what did you do there and get to the ship on time?They don't have any excursions I was interested in,actually there wasn't many for this short of time in port.

First time cruising for us,we are going on the ncl gem in Oct.This is such a short time in port I was wondering if anyone else had this happen and what did you do there and get to the ship on time?They don't have any excursions I was interested in,actually there wasn't many for this short of time in port.

That time period stinks! I don't know why NCL does this. Each time we were in Tortola through ncl we went to jost van dyke. It is the best excursion. I wouldn't book a cruise with only six hours in a port in Tortola.

Actually Tortola is a gorgeous island and an island tour with a beach stop is very popular and highly recommended by others who also had limited times in port.

No need to pre-plan as you will see several drivers offering tours at very reasonable prices.

The north and west coasts are gorgeous as seen from the hilltops and the driver will stop for photo ops. You can add a beach stop and early lunch at Cane Garden Bay (or at Brewers Bay for a bit of a quieter spot).

The Baths on Virgin Gorda is an amazing tour and the most recommended excursion but you don't have time for that. And Jost Van Dyke is a very busy beach bar spot now and not at all as nice as it once was. But an island tour of Tortola is a great way not to miss the beauty of Tortola. And there are some nice shops near the dock, we like Sunny Caribbee, a great little spice shop.

Enjoy your short time on our favorite island! :)

We were in Tortola a few weeks ago on Carnival Freedom and we were there from 7:00 a.m. to 2:30. We took a taxi to Cane Garden Bay and had a great time there. We got there early and it was pretty quiet..rented two chairs for $5.00 each. By 10:00 or so, the beach was getting very busy. I think it was $6.00 each for a taxi to Cane Bay and of course, the same coming back.

We didn't want to venture too far since we didn't have the whole day in port so this was perfect for us. Had the most delicious pina colada there for $6.00 !

Edited by hancogran

• 1 month later...
I think we're on the same cruise, if it's the one that departs on Oct. 27th. It really sucks that it departs at 1:00! I don't see us doing much there, if we even get off the ship!:rolleyes:

Sorry your time on Tortola is so limited as is is a beautiful island. But consider taking an island tour for an hour or two just so you can see some of that beauty at least. Drivers at the pier offer packages that are very reasonably priced. Even if you don't disembark until 9 you have a good 3 hours to see most of the island and shop near the port. Sunny Carribbe is a great little spice shop, and Pusser's Pub a fun spot for drinks and a shepherds pie.

I think you'll be happy you didn't stay on the ship! :)

Edited by blue_water

We also are on the Gem cruise which stops in Tortola from 7 am until 1 pm. We really like Tortola and have been there twice before but are wondering what to do with such a short visit. We like Cane Garden Bay but it seems pointless to go so early and for such a short time. A few years ago, we took an excursion that stopped at Sopher's Hole and Pussers Landing. It was okay...there were a couple of shops and a restaurant but not much else. Does anyone know if there is anything more there that might make it worth a visit?

Bluewake it is frustrating to have so little time to enjoy an island that you've been to and really like. CGB is a fun spot, and it's nice to have more time in the afternoon to enjoy it there. But you may still enjoy going there more than a tour, and that's definitely better than staying by the dock. And the taxi is reasonable so I hope you decide to head there and enjoy a few hours at least. Brewers Bay is another option on a shorter day if you want to try something different.

I see so many posts from folks who never leave the ship or the port area and totally miss the beauty of Tortola and the other islands of the BVI. So it's refreshing to hear from someone else who looks forward to going there, just like Lulu! We stayed on Tortola before cruising there and love the beaches and natural beauty along with the people. Take a look at at spending a week there if you have the time!

And of course CGB is THE place to be evenings with happy hours and music - amazing how much entertainment you will find there vs STT or anywhere else. Definitely worth looking at for a land vacation if you love gorgeous beaches like Smuggler's and fun nights.

Just something to look at my man!

blue_water - Thanks for the info and suggestions. My wife loves to shop in the ports so, as much as we love CGB, with that short time window we're trying to decide whether to go back to CGB, do something else, or just have a relaxing time exploring Roadtown...something we've not done in our prior visits. We've done tours of the island twice...what a beautiful and relatively tranquil place! (as compared to St. Thomas or St. Maarten) So, it just might be time to stop and smell the roses of Roadtown instead of trying to rush around the island.

Sure, that makes sense. You can enjoy the marina areas and there are a couple spots for a nice lunch on the water if I remember. The shops that are close to the port are your main options, downtown is primarily businesses. But we don't get into RT often except to get the ferry to VG so you can tell us what you found!

• 3 months later...

My spouse and I will have the same limited time (7am-1pm) as the OP in Tortola off the Gem (but in February), so I was happy to see this thread, as we've never been to Tortola and have exactly the same questions as the OP.

Could someone please tell me about how long (each way) it would take by taxi to get to Cane Garden Bay beach? Would we have any trouble finding a taxi to get back? (We'll be there on a Sunday, if that matters.) Will there be any services (chair rental, restrooms, etc.) early on a Sunday morning? Just trying to decide if this is worth doing or we'd be too worried about getting back to the ship...

I'm not opposed to a ship's tour, but they are limited, and the only one of interest (which is an island tour) a has a height limit of 6'2" and my spouse is a little taller than that.

All thoughts and suggestions for how we should spend our limited time are most welcome. We certainly don't want to be hanging around the ship!

Thanks in advance!

I'm so happy I found this current thread about Tortola. I am booked on the Gem April, 2015. Thanks everyone for your great info. I think it's nuts that we arrive at 7am and leave at 1pm. That is barely any time. I LOVE beaches so definitely think the taxi to a beach will be my choice. Keep posting ideas everyone!!

Michele

I'm so happy I found this current thread about Tortola. I am booked on the Gem April, 2015. . . .

Well, since we are going in February, I'll try to remember to come back to this thread and tell you what we wound up doing. :)

But I hope some folks can answer the questions I posed above. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
My spouse and I will have the same limited time (7am-1pm) as the OP in Tortola off the Gem (but in February), so I was happy to see this thread, as we've never been to Tortola and have exactly the same questions as the OP.

Could someone please tell me about how long (each way) it would take by taxi to get to Cane Garden Bay beach? Would we have any trouble finding a taxi to get back? (We'll be there on a Sunday, if that matters.) Will there be any services (chair rental, restrooms, etc.) early on a Sunday morning? Just trying to decide if this is worth doing or we'd be too worried about getting back to the ship...

I'm not opposed to a ship's tour, but they are limited, and the only one of interest (which is an island tour) a has a height limit of 6'2" and my spouse is a little taller than that.

All thoughts and suggestions for how we should spend our limited time are most welcome. We certainly don't want to be hanging around the ship!

Thanks in advance!

Hello! Just back from Ireland and saw your questions...

Taxi to/from CGB is about 20 min, no problem finding a return taxi.

CGB will be full of your fellow cruisers and there will be rentals and restrooms available.

You will actually find tours being offered at the pier by taxi drivers, these are very reasonably-priced and they can include a drop at CGB or better yet Brewers Bay forba bit less crowded experience. The tour is highly recommend as Tortola is a beautiful island with magnificient views.

I"m going to follow in on this post as well, this will be our first stop on the Jewel of the Seas in November and we are there pretty much all day until 5:30pm so we are trying to figure out what is the best thing to do in Tortola for the day, stay at a beach all day or explore the town. Turtles06 wow your sweetie is tall! ;)

Tortola is a gorgeous island with beautiful beaches and you can enjoy a beach with a lively and busy vibe or a more secluded beach that most cruisers will not venture to or something in between. Other options include a ferry to Virgin Gorda to see the Baths and some of the island, or the ship excursion or ferry to Jost Van Dyke which is primarily a beach bar break.

I would recommend the Baths but would try to time the visit so you’re not there with the ship excursions. If you want a more relaxed day have a driver give you an island tour on the way to a beach, possibly Brewers Bay. There are drivers at the dock offering tours at very reasonable rates.

What interests do you have?

Tortola is a gorgeous island with beautiful beaches and you can enjoy a beach with a lively and busy vibe or a more secluded beach that most cruisers will not venture to or something in between. Other options include a ferry to Virgin Gorda to see the Baths and some of the island, or the ship excursion or ferry to Jost Van Dyke which is primarily a beach bar break.

I would recommend the Baths but would try to time the visit so you’re not there with the ship excursions. If you want a more relaxed day have a driver give you an island tour on the way to a beach, possibly Brewers Bay. There are drivers at the dock offering tours at very reasonable rates.

What interests do you have?

My wife to be and I love to spend very quiet days at the beach, the quieter the better, we are not bar types that like the loud and bellowing kind of noise we hear from resort swim up bars so a very quiet beach is what we would prefer, in terms of other things, I am an amatuer photographer and I love the colorful caribbean street and market scene and would love to also spend some time walking around the town taking photos of the street and market scenes, we love Caribbean food and some fresh fish and chips would be great. We want to buy some good Rum as well.

We are thinking spending some time at the Crafts alive marketplace and maybe having lunch maybe at Pusser's Road Town Pub and Company Store.

We have all day from 8am to 5:30pm, probably have to be back at the pier at least by 5pm I would think. So is it feasible to maybe do half the time at the beach someplace and half the time walking around town and having lunch?

I should clarify that if we spend time at a beach we prefer it to be a quiet setting compared to loud and rowdy as we love to just sit and listen to the sound of the waves and enjoy the serenity of the beach, we are beach loving people!!! However for being in town we don't mind a little rowdiness of a lively pub for a good caribbean lunch and watch the street scenes while eating.

Edited by tpadul

Many thanks to those who have posted info above.

Since my first inquiry, NCL has added a number of additional excursions, including a four-hour excursion to the Baths (remember, the ship is only in port from 7am-1pm). I was excited to see that, but there's only one review of it on the NCL web site, and the reviewer gives it only two stars, because the tour operator made no provision for anyone to obtain their personal items (like a towel, sunscreen, water bottles, money, non waterproof camera, etc.) after swimming/snorkeling ashore at the Baths. They spent about 2 hours off the boat at the Baths and a beach, without anything but their snorkel gear and bathing suits. That was in Jan. 2013; no way to know if that's still how this tour is operating.

Much to think about now!

My wife to be and I love to spend very quiet days at the beach, the quieter the better, we are not bar types that like the loud and bellowing kind of noise we hear from resort swim up bars so a very quiet beach is what we would prefer, in terms of other things, I am an amatuer photographer and I love the colorful caribbean street and market scene and would love to also spend some time walking around the town taking photos of the street and market scenes, we love Caribbean food and some fresh fish and chips would be great. We want to buy some good Rum as well.

We are thinking spending some time at the Crafts alive marketplace and maybe having lunch maybe at Pusser's Road Town Pub and Company Store.

We have all day from 8am to 5:30pm, probably have to be back at the pier at least by 5pm I would think. So is it feasible to maybe do half the time at the beach someplace and half the time walking around town and having lunch?

I should clarify that if we spend time at a beach we prefer it to be a quiet setting compared to loud and rowdy as we love to just sit and listen to the sound of the waves and enjoy the serenity of the beach, we are beach loving people!!! However for being in town we don't mind a little rowdiness of a lively pub for a good caribbean lunch and watch the street scenes while eating.

Yes, heading to a beach then returning to town for a lunch and walking is an excellent idea for Tortola.

For your beach I would recommend Smuggler's Cove, a beach on the less-traveled Belmont Road where there are some villas close enough for folks to walk to the beach but you don't get the hordes of cruisers there. Taxi is about $32pp roundtrip based on 2 ppl, $24pp based on 3 or more ppl. Smuggler's is a smaller cove and also has good snorkeling, there may be a vendor with a grill selling food and drinks at Smuggler's. Not sure because the vendors were run out a couple years ago but I'm hearing there is a gent there now.

You will need to have the driver return for you because there's no place to call from unless you have phone service.

You will probably pass the Long Bay Resort on the way, the paved road ends right past the resort and it's unpaved and bumpy the rest of the way to Smuggler's. If you're able to have the driver stop on the way there or back it's worth walking out to the beach at Long Bay. It's a picture postcard beach that is famously shot. Great walking beach and also a great spot to listen to the waves and watch the pelicans dive. THis is also a great beach for your main destination too. WIth the resort there you should be able to call a cab for your return but it's always good to have the driver return at a set time.

And many ppl like Brewers Bay, a bit busier than SC but nothing like Cane Garden Bay where most of the ppl go. But SC and LB are less traveled...

You'll find that Road Town is primarily banking and businesses, the shops around the dock are the best places to shop and don't miss Sunny Caribbee, a great little spice shop. Pussers is indeed a fun pub for a drink and lunch with an English atmosphere. Also some nice clothing out back and upstairs.

Meant to add there are magnificient water/island views from the hill tops, you're not going to the highest areas if going to SC or LB but do have your camera ready.

And for a beach where only the locals go there's a Long Bay, Beef Island that has zero amenities and is near the airport and Trellis Bay. But I'd stick with SC or LB, Tortola. ANd note that at SC there are portapotties, no real facilities and so that's another reason it doesn't attract the hordes.

Many thanks to those who have posted info above.

Since my first inquiry, NCL has added a number of additional excursions, including a four-hour excursion to the Baths (remember, the ship is only in port from 7am-1pm). I was excited to see that, but there's only one review of it on the NCL web site, and the reviewer gives it only two stars, because the tour operator made no provision for anyone to obtain their personal items (like a towel, sunscreen, water bottles, money, non waterproof camera, etc.) after swimming/snorkeling ashore at the Baths. They spent about 2 hours off the boat at the Baths and a beach, without anything but their snorkel gear and bathing suits. That was in Jan. 2013; no way to know if that's still how this tour is operating.

Much to think about now!

There is a small bar/shop on the beach at the Baths after you walk fown the path and they have lockers. However once you walk through the boulders and get to Devils Bay Beach you won't have time to go back to retrieve your stuff, you'll return to the Top of the Baths via another path from the beach. So packing a towel, water, sunscreen, and camera in a knapsack is the ideal solution. There's no snorkeling involved unless you swim out for that.

WE would ferry to VG on our own, you can often get more time there because you're not waiting for the queue at the ship. Very easy and there are taxi drivers waiting to take you on the 10 min ride to the Top of the Baths. Just check the ferry schedules on the Smith's and Speedy's sites to see if the ferry times work for you.