Norwegian Fjords Itinerary

CintiPam

Didn't I read on one of the reviews of an earlier Quest Norway cruise that they had Captain Johannes? Do they switch him over because of his local knowledge?

We are on Journey in a few weeks, so I'll ask him if he knows whether he is the Captain for Quest's 2016 Fjords Cruise.

We are on Journey in a few weeks, so I'll ask him if he knows whether he is the Captain for Quest's 2016 Fjords Cruise.

Thanks, Lottie. I looked at the cruise schedule again and ACC is not going to Norway in 2015, so he wouldn't have been asked to postpone his vacation next year.

Pam, I would love to join you and midwestchick on your cruise, especially as it's on Quest. I am looking forward to going back to The Fjords, but 2016 is a bit too far away for me to be planning a cruise. I am still thinking about 2015!

We do go to Amsterdam quite a lot though as it is just over a one hour flight from my local airport. Actually we were thinking of going there for a few days next week, but we have decided on Dublin instead. My man loves Guinness! :D

It is likely that I will be on Silversea a lot in 2015/2016 anyway, but should there be any late deals on cabins on your cruise....well you never know! :D

I hope you both have a really good time though. It rains a lot in Bergen, even in Summer so take a brolly with you, but the view from Mount Floyen is fantastic. There is a cable car up to the top. The restored houses of the Old Wharf of The Hanseatic League merchants at Bryggen ....the old quarter of Bergen...is a fascinating place too....you will love it.

It would be great if you joined us. This just seems like such a nice itinerary, and I have not seen one like it on other lines.

Fortunately, we had nice weather for our two days in Bergen in June 2007. When we were up on Mount Floyen, there was a same-sex wedding (two women) in traditional Norwegian costumes. Back then, it was a very unusual thing to see.

Pam...we're going to do Amsterdam prior to our cruise. So, I may be bending your ear for suggestions. My TA said he would help me with hotel reservations. It looks like I need to take a trip to the book store and see what's available for Norway and Amsterdam.

Amsterdam is a very reasonably-priced city with great transportation. With my husband years ago, we stayed at the Hotel Fita, close to the Rijiks and Van Gogh museums. Last year I stayed fancier (with the art docents) on a canal at the Hotel Estherea; large room and fabulous breakfasts. I joined the group by taking a train from Paris at the conclusion of a Quest cruise from Venice (with stops to see Milan and revisit Paris) and it only was 2-1/2 hours from Paris, very relaxing. A day trip to Haarlem is very nice as well - a smaller town with a historic catherdral and a great Frans Hals museum but there is so much to see in Amsterdam itself. You definitely must take a canal boat cruise if the weather is nice.

I look forward to all advice about the towns we will port at in Norway; I know absolutely nothing about them!

Edited by CintiPam

I have been to most but not Olden. I mixed up one port and the Artic Catheral at Tromo. .i was able to walk there but for some people that will be too far. North Cape is a barren land but breathe taking... can not remember all your ports. Bergen- you got lots and lots to see and do- museums, hiking, eating out and music. plus shopping... just got B&N and sit and read the books for hotels and places to eat. i walked from the Jewish musuem all over one day but for others had a driver.

Edited by ellbon

Someone mentioned this to me and I did notice we're not in port at long as usual. Anyone know the reason for this. Here is what was mentioned. Any input on the comment?

"Apart from the overnight stay in Bergen you will spend surprisingly little time in the ports. Ports I think deserves more port time to do them justice.

I am surprised as Azamara usually spend lots of time in port. On a brighter side I suppose the ship will spend time cruising the "inland passages".

Someone also mentioned Windstar but most are only 7 days which I don't feel is long enough.

Pam...thanks for your post about Amsterdam. I too look forward to any and all information about Norway.

I had posted this message on another thread but thought you might find it helpful as you begin planning your Norwegian cruise. Have wonderful time!

We were fortunate to be on the June 2014 cruise. Just a few tips to offer.

Bergen was one of our favorite ports, we took the funicular and also managed an English tour of the Hanseatic museum, all within easy walking distance as is the fish market.

We booked the seven hour tour that included the Flam Railway, Voss, and Stalheim Hotel as we were fearful that we wouldn't be able to replicate this tour independently. It sold out before departure. Once back on the ship at Gudvagen. we sat out on the back deck enjoying a drink and the scenery we had missed on the way in.

In Lofoten, we rented a car from Hertz, the location is very close to where we were tendered. When I asked about the GPS, the guy said we wouldn't really need any more than the map as there was only one main road. Book early if you need an automatic as the quantity is very limited.

At the North Cape, a fellow cruiser arranged a private tour with Arctic Guide Service--great experience. In addition to the North Cape we visited a Sami Camp, fishing villages and artist's gallery. Guide was very knowledgeable and spoke excellent English.

In addition to the roll call, there is a thread on Alesund and the Fjords by I-cruiser on the Northern European Ports Board that we found most helpful.

This was one of our most scenic cruises and we enjoyed the experience of the "Midnight Sun" as we were there over the summer solstice.

I'm a librarian so, in my book (as it were), it's never too early to research and learn. I appreciate not everyone will feel similarly but it's enough that I do and pursue the satisfaction afforded by delving both deep and wide, and even to the side. Works for me and I can play this out over time as necessary. I pay top dollar for best accommodations and get my money's worth many times over. Also, I don't plan so much as become knowledgeable about where I'm going -- the culture, history, economy, life, music, food, politics and more. The plans, when they details almost assemble themselves, are organic therefore.

Edited by OctoberKat

"I don't plan so much as become knowledgeable about where I'm going -- the culture, history, economy, life, music, food, politics and more. The plans, when they details almost assemble themselves, are organic therefore."

Brilliant! Sums me up as well. Much better than saying I'm a research nerd!

We were fortunate to be on the June 2014 cruise. Just a few tips to offer.

Bergen was one of our favorite ports, we took the funicular and also managed an English tour of the Hanseatic museum, all within easy walking distance as is the fish market.

We booked the seven hour tour that included the Flam Railway, Voss, and Stalheim Hotel as we were fearful that we wouldn't be able to replicate this tour independently. It sold out before departure. Once back on the ship at Gudvagen. we sat out on the back deck enjoying a drink and the scenery we had missed on the way in.

In Lofoten, we rented a car from Hertz, the location is very close to where we were tendered. When I asked about the GPS, the guy said we wouldn't really need any more than the map as there was only one main road. Book early if you need an automatic as the quantity is very limited.

At the North Cape, a fellow cruiser arranged a private tour with Arctic Guide Service--great experience. In addition to the North Cape we visited a Sami Camp, fishing villages and artist's gallery. Guide was very knowledgeable and spoke excellent English.

Thanks for this very helpful information, GJH.