Biggest price drop

My heart almost stop beating when I saw my 6th Dec Carnival cruise (I paid ~$1600pp) advertised for $849pp for a balcony cabin. That's almost half price!!

I did a mock online booking to find out what the catch was. The $849pp is for balcony gurantee cabin for 2 persons only. Cabin for 3 is still ~$1600pp. So for my family of five, we may save about $800 but loss our choice of adjacent cabins. The peace of mind to have my children next door certainly worth more than $800.

My heart is beating normally again once I know I would not accept a randomly assigned cabin to save $800.

I like to know what is the biggest price drop you have seen?

My heart almost stop beating when I saw my 6th Dec Carnival cruise (I paid ~$1600pp) advertised for $849pp for a balcony cabin. That's almost half price!!

I did a mock online booking to find out what the catch was. The $849pp is for balcony gurantee cabin for 2 persons only. Cabin for 3 is still ~$1600pp. So for my family of five, we may save about $800 but loss our choice of adjacent cabins. The peace of mind to have my children next door certainly worth more than $800.

My heart is beating normally again once I know I would not accept a randomly assigned cabin to save $800.

I have seen cruises going very low with Insides going for around $30 per day in the Caribbean and for around $50 here in Australia. The best I have been able to take advantage of so far is at $68 per day (taxes included).:D

We have a Deluxe balcony booked for Dec 9 on VOS, in the recent sale we could have got a superior balcony (bigger cabin) for $1100 cheaper. This price was offered after the cut off date for final payment, so they knew we were bound by the original booking.

Edited by shazzygirl67

We have recently booked the November 2014 sailing of the 28 day Around Australia cruise for $70 (includes taxes) per night. Next year's cruise is still selling with insides from $4799 ($171 per night).

We have been told that the Diamond Princess will be charging in USD onboard but are still getting conflicting information on whether gratuities are included in the price already paid as this was booked in Australia and paid in AUD.

Edited by joll

We have recently booked the November 2014 sailing of the 28 day Around Australia cruise for $70 (includes taxes) per night. Next year's cruise is still selling with insides from $4799 ($171 per night).

We have been told that the Diamond Princess will be charging in USD onboard but are still getting conflicting information on whether gratuities are included in the price already paid as this was booked in Australia and paid in AUD.

the currency will be in USD and gratuities will be added to your account....if you sign into princess and go into your personalizer and under your booking summary it will have the currency onboard

The Diamond will be in USD on board.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

the currency will be in USD and gratuities will be added to your account

I know the onboard currency for this cruise will be in USD. It is the conflicting information about gratuities which I am still confused about.

When we previously sailed on the Diamond (Singapore to Vancouver). we were charged daily gratuities because that cruise was regarded as overseas, ie. not Australian based!!

As you probably know, Australian cruises sold here in Australia include taxes/gratuities.

The TA mentioned something about our booking being coded so as the daily service charges will not be allocated to our shipboard account. I guess we will just have to wait until we are onboard to see what happens.

I know the onboard currency for this cruise will be in USD. It is the conflicting information about gratuities which I am still confused about.

When we previously sailed on the Diamond (Singapore to Vancouver). we were charged daily gratuities because that cruise was regarded as overseas, ie. not Australian based!!

As you probably know, Australian cruises sold here in Australia include taxes/gratuities.

The TA mentioned something about our booking being coded so as the daily service charges will not be allocated to our shipboard account. I guess we will just have to wait until we are onboard to see what happens.

the moderator on facebook said the gratuities on the Diamond for this australian season from november to march next year will be added on a daily basis to the passengers account

Have you checked the cruise personalizer, it should have a summary of what has been included or not.

Have you checked the cruise personalizer, it should have a summary of what has been included or not.

On our payment summary for a future RCL cruise (which I made directly with RCL), the cost is broken down and it does show the actual amount of any prepaid gratuities.

However as this is a Princess cruise which was booked and paid for, through an Australian TA, there is no reference to, or details of, payments on my cruise personaliser. We were only aware of the advertised price and it was not itemised. I also know that in Australia, airlines, travel agents etc. are required to advertise prices with no hidden additional costs.

I'm pretty sure from the information received from various sources and here on CC, that we will be billed for the daily service charge (gratuities).

Even so, we decided to take this cruise because of the huge price drop and it gives us the opportunity to visit friends and relatives in the major cities around Australia.

On our payment summary for a future RCL cruise (which I made directly with RCL), the cost is broken down and it does show the actual amount of any prepaid gratuities.

However as this is a Princess cruise which was booked and paid for, through an Australian TA, there is no reference to, or details of, payments on my cruise personaliser. We were only aware of the advertised price and it was not itemised. I also know that in Australia, airlines, travel agents etc. are required to advertise prices with no hidden additional costs.

I'm pretty sure from the information received from various sources and here on CC, that we will be billed for the daily service charge (gratuities).

Even so, we decided to take this cruise because of the huge price drop and it gives us the opportunity to visit friends and relatives in the major cities around Australia.

As the call to the TA has possibly got them included, and you say that you have a great deal anyway, enjoy the cruise and relax. If the bill arrives on the account don't let it spoil the cruise and if it doesn't arrive it is an additional bonus.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I would call your TA or CC to request price adjustment.

when the Diamond & Golden Princess comes here in late 2015-16 season the currency is supposed to be AUD and the tips included in the fare

That may be easier to understand the pricing but I doubt it will be as cheap as they current prices seem to be.:D

That may be easier to understand the pricing but I doubt it will be as cheap as they current prices seem to be.:D

sometimes the 3 aussie princess ships have some good prices and you dont need to worry about the tips or getting charged in USD

Booked direct with Princess for the Diamond's round Australia trip in November.

The most recent information from them on my trip personilser is:-

All charges on board are in USDs. Gratuity will be charged daily to our account and the rates are USD 12.00 per person per day for suites and mini suites and USD 11.50 per guest per day for all other categories. They also add guests have complete discretion to adjust these gratuities at any time prior to disembarkation. They can also be paid pre cruise. So this adds a far amount to the cost of a 28 day cruise.

Edited by happysnapper

Those wishing to do world cruise sectors, for good price reductions, look past Princess and look at P&O UK, for example, 2 years ago we got a 2 for 1 deal, Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton 49 days, via Asia/Africa, outside window cabin for $5200 each, that is $100 per day cruising, plus a swag of OBC, like we have on Aurora/Oriana next year, as per my signature. P&O UK are in my opinion a far superior product to P&O Orstralia.

Not wanting to upset cruisers who do the 'Worldies' on Sun/Sea/Dawn Princess but their prices are outrageous, forget the big obc and no tipping, $200 per day for an inside is outrageous, plus the three Aussie Princess sisters are not great vessels these days, plagued with engine problems.

Above all, enjoy !!

Edited by NSWP

Those wishing to do world cruise sectors, for good price reductions, look past Princess and look at P&O UK, for example, 2 years ago we got a 2 for 1 deal, Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton 49 days, via Asia/Africa, outside window cabin for $5200 each, that is $100 per day cruising, plus a swag of OBC, like we have on Aurora/Oriana next year, as per my signature. P&O UK are in my opinion a far superior product to P&O Orstralia.

Not wanting to upset cruisers who do the 'Worldies' on Sun/Sea/Dawn Princess but their prices are outrageous, forget the big obc and no tipping, $200 per day for an inside is outrageous, plus the three Aussie Princess sisters are not great vessels these days, plagued with engine problems.

Above all, enjoy !!

I think you may be right about the difference in pricing, it is much more than just gratuities and as for the ships here, we are well aware of the issues they have had. Hopefully they are behind them now.:D

Yes I have made final payment. We are just over 35 days before the cruise. I am okay with what I paid. Will go and enjoy the cruise. [emoji2]

Good that you have a positive attitude to cruise with, some people get hung up on the small stuff. Enjoy.:D