Porto Empedocles - Sicily

TravelBugM

I doubt a shuttle will be run as Agrigento (the archaeological site) is on the list of tours.

I have been there some years ago and we caught a small local bus to the site and back. However as far as I know it does not run on a Sunday- I am not sure what day you will be there.

Wondering if anyone knows if Azamara provides a shuttle of any sorts from this port? If so, where to?

If not, is public transport to Agrigento or Valley of the Temples do-able?

Thanks.

Hello TravelBugM, tell me your ship and cruise date and I'll inquire for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Bonnie, I did not see your post until just now. We are on the October 27th Journey sailing out go Rome.

Our TA has confirmed there is indeed a shuttle. I'm just waiting to hear back from him as to where exactly the shuttle drops off/picks up.

Bonnie, just a comment. When someone asks a question like this it is helpful for others listening to have an answer. We are on the same sailing and still are interested in the answer on where the shuttle will take us for this port. I am travelling so not easy to ask my TA.

Thanks for being there to answer our questions.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I haven't had an answer from our TA, but I guess the reason is as per Bonnie's explanation above.

We are seeing our TA Saturday and will ask if he has yet gotten an answer from Azamara.

Edited by TravelBugM

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Agricento and The Valley of the Temples this summer. It is a wonderful sight and absolutely not to be missed. I am a big fan of the Inspector Montalbano books by Andrea Camilleri, who I think was born in Porto Empedocles and I also love to watch the Italian TV series on the BBC. We did a bit of a Montalbano tour of Sicily. Agricento is used a lot in the TV series and is lovely. The Valley of the Temples is amazing.

However, to get there on a Sunday would be almost impossible, unless you hire a car as we did. I would recommend taking the ship's tour or trying to organise a private tour from your Roll Call, but it really is a place you shouldn't miss.

I was at Agricento and The Valley of the Temples this summer. It is a wonderful sight and absolutely not to be missed. I am a big fan of the Inspector Montalbano books by Andrea Camilleri, who I think was born in Porto Empedocles and I also love to watch the Italian TV series on the BBC. We did a bit of a Montalbano tour of Sicily. Agricento is used a lot in the TV series and is lovely. The Valley of the Temples is amazing.

However, to get there on a Sunday would be almost impossible, unless you hire a car as we did. I would recommend taking the ship's tour or trying to organise a private tour from your Roll Call, but it really is a place you shouldn't miss.

I love Montalbano too, and would love to do a culinary tour -- except that I can't eat in a week what he puts away for lunch! Some enterprising cruise line should offer a Montalbano excursion.

I love Montalbano too, and would love to do a culinary tour -- except that I can't eat in a week what he puts away for lunch! Some enterprising cruise line should offer a Montalbano excursion.

Hi Host Jazzbeau, I agree ....it would be a very popular tour. My partner says I love Salvo more than him! :D

We hired a car and did Agricento, the Valley of Temples, Ragusa, which is fictional Vigata, Punta Secco for the outside of his house and had lunch at Trattoria Calogero.....I was in Montalbano heaven!

Sorry for the Montalbano detour everyone, but if you are visiting Sicily then you should read some of the Inspector Montalbano books because they invoke the atmosphere of the island so well.

Hot off the wire, there will now be a complimentary shuttle for your visit!

Here's what I received this morning...

- We will have a complimentary shuttle from the ship to the gate running continuously from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Last one from the gate back to the ship will be at 4:00 pm (we sail at 5:00 pm). Since this is a cargo pier, it is not safe for guests to walk the 800 mts to the gate. From there guests will walk 200 mts to reach Porto Empedocle downtown.

- We will sell an Agrigento On Your Own transfer @ Adult $ 39.75 and Child $27.75 for those guests wishing to go to the shops in Agrigento (which only open in the morning) as it is the "Souls Day" holiday. There will be no public transportation available due to the festivities.

- We lowered the price of the Temple Valley tour by $50.75, hoping to capture more independent guests. It originally cost $139.75 and will now cost $89. Our tour operator has informed that on this day only Temple Valley will not charge the entrance fee to the site. (Note: the complimentary shuttle will not have a drop-off point at Temple Valley, which is located 1km away from Agrigento).

- For guests that have booked this tour at the higher price, the credit will be provided on-board.