Gus & Puerto Quetzal

nancycara

We are planning an excursion with Gus to go to the Coffee Plantation and Antigua. Has anyone done this? Is there enough time? I don't want to worry about getting back on time.

We recently toured with Gus in Puerto Quetzal and had a marvelous time. Gus met us at the port along with his lovely wife Ira. We visited the coffee plantation and onto Antigua which was the most beautiful city we encountered in our entire Panama Canal trip. We had lunch at a lovely restaurant where Gus's son is getting married next week. Gus is truly an ambassador of Guatemela. Both he and Ira are incredibly interesting people. My time in Guatemals with Gus and Ira was the highlight of my trip. I felt like I was traveling with longtime friends.

• 11 months later...

We went "Go With Gus" on the other side out of Santo Tomas and had the most amazing trip! He is awesome, professional and very well prepared and equipped. Be SURE to eat at his hotel and order the fish with the head ON!

So...I bumped this thread to get input on his Puerto Quetzal trips. Anyone been recently? What did you do? What would you do again?

We were on the Island Princess in February. We docked late and still had no time concerns. We took the Antigua Humanitarian Tour. It consisted of stopping at a school and crafts area in a small town near Antigua, a short tour of the Filadelphia coffee gift shop, and lunch and a tour of Antigua. We were never rushed and got back way before the ship left.

Sam and Audrey Adrezin

We were on the Island Princess in February. We docked late and still had no time concerns. We took the Antigua Humanitarian Tour. It consisted of stopping at a school and crafts area in a small town near Antigua, a short tour of the Filadelphia coffee gift shop, and lunch and a tour of Antigua. We were never rushed and got back way before the ship left.

Sam and Audrey Adrezin

Thanks so much...Gus is awesome! We can't wait for our tour. I'll be sure and post how it went.

• 2 months later...
How much did he charge per person and how many people do you need to get together? How long was the whole tour? Thanks for your long post full of useful info.

It was a flat rate of $99 per person and it was a full days tour. He picked us up about an hour after the shipped started unloading and delivered us back about an hour before it sailed. So plenty of time to wander around the pier shops a bit before we had to leave. Plan for about $10 more for lunch (depending on how many beers you drink) and about $5-$10 tip for the driver and the guide to split.

WELL worth the money. The bus could snuggly seat 24. We were 20 and that gave us plenty of room. You don't need to fill the bus, but if you don't get at least 10, he'll likely try to pick up a couple more from the pier. But no worries, you will have a fantastic time. The driver stays with the bus the whole time, so you can leave your bags on board while you get off and on.

Warmly

BeadBabe

Thanks again! I see the website says 4 minimum. Did you collect together a group from your roll call? Or could I just book two people do you think?

How and when did you make the payment?

I already had a group of 8 with me, but I posted it to my roll call as well. We ended up with 20!! It was awesome. The bus will easily accomdate that.

You pay in US dollars cash at the end of the tour directly to Gus for the excursion. You can give the tip money to Gus to divy up, or tip the driver directly as you see fit. Lunch money you pay to the restaurant of course.

Fondly

BeadBabe:D

Was Gus On the Puerto Quetzal tour or was it just a driver from his company? We went with him in Santo Tomas and want to make sure he would be on a Puerto Quetzal tour this winter. Thanks

Gus was actually our guide. He did have another driver with him. He has a couple of other guides that work for him, so feel free to ask if he will be your guide or if it will be another. All his guides are great however.

Warmly

BeadBabe :D

Gus was actually our guide. He did have another driver with him. He has a couple of other guides that work for him, so feel free to ask if he will be your guide or if it will be another. All his guides are great however.

Warmly

BeadBabe :D

Gus is one of those people you meet,and want to see him again.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

We just did Gus' humanitarian tour and loved it. The stop at the school was worth the entire trip. The macadamia nut farm was also good.

The reataurant had good local food that was enjoyed by everyone. The jade store was the negative part of the tour. Nothing but a poor sales job.

:D jerry

We just did Gus' humanitarian tour and loved it. The stop at the school was worth the entire trip. The macadamia nut farm was also good.

The reataurant had good local food that was enjoyed by everyone. The jade store was the negative part of the tour. Nothing but a poor sales job.

:D jerry

Hey Jerry

I'm so glad you had a great time. Gus is the best at what he does really, isn't he.

You know, I felt the same way about the Jade "Factory"....that was until at the last moment as we were getting ready to leave I found a strand of raw jade nuggets that had been drilled and just loosely strung. They were amazing!! And being the "BeadBabe", I had to have those beads, and have used them in a variety of things. Just goes to show you....even when you think it's not a great thing....everything can be great! :D

Archived