I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi

I will be arriving in Copenhagen on Saturday 28th June to pick up a cruise and the depart on 12th July I will then stay on in Copenhagen for a couple of days and explore.

would you be able to give me an approximate cost in DK of a taxi from the airport to the cruise port? just so that I can judge how much DK I need to bring with me to cover these

any advise on any must do's in Copenhagen would be gratefully received as well

Many thanks

Deb

Hey there!

An advance welcome to Copenhagen!

The airport is on one end of the island, while the cruise port is on the other. They are quite far away.

What I would suggest doing is purchasing a COPENHAGEN CARD from the airport when you arrive. You can purchase them in either 24 hour or 72 hour time limits. Choose whatever will work best for your stay.

That card is your "golden ticket" to ALL of the public transportation in the city. Luckily, it is VERY easy to navigate the metro, subway, and busses in Copenhagen. You will be quite able to take the subway from the airport and get quite close to the port. You will get off at Osterport. From there, take a VERY SHORT taxi ride to the pier.

This is all VERY easy to do.

In addition, the Copenhagen card will get you FREE or DISCOUNTED admission in to some of the city's top attractions. There is a fantastic "hop on/hop off" bus tour that you can get a discounted rate for with the card. That is the best way to get a lay of the land and determine what you REALLY want to see/do with your time.

Some not to miss items:

Tivoli (regardless if you have kids or not)

Rosenburg Castle (where the crown jewels are)

Amalienborg Palace (where the Queen & her family reside)

The little Mermaid statue is quite close to the pier - so that will be easy for you to see. Don't plan a whole day around her - as she is QUITE tiny.

Any other specific questions?

FWD- Carlsburg brewery and Christiania top my list of things to see that are not on the "must see" lists that everyone references. We'll have teens with us, 13, 15, 16 & 18. What are your opinions on these two ideas as far as secondary sites to see? Thanks for your input. DMaugle

FWD- Carlsburg brewery and Christiania top my list of things to see that are not on the "must see" lists that everyone references. We'll have teens with us, 13, 15, 16 & 18. What are your opinions on these two ideas as far as secondary sites to see? Thanks for your input. DMaugle

Carlsburg is a fun tour... don't plan a whole day around it as you'll be in and out in no time.

Christiania ... not sure what exactly you're hoping to see there. It was the site of a now closed down "squatters house". The area is not very pretty, and is one of the higher crime areas.

A fun thing for people of ALL ages is the Zoo. It's got a BRAND spankin' new elephant house that is spectacular - - and also the ONLY tasmanian devil in captivity outside of Australia (a gift from Australia upon the engagement of Crown Princess Mary).

Another great thing to do is the Viking Museum in Roskilde. It's a metro ride to get there, but if you invest in the Copenhagen Card like I HIGHLY SUGGEST, it's no biggie. You can also do a bus tour up there, but it's easy enough to do on your own. GREAT museum and VERY hands on.

If you are art buffs, then Louisiana is the PREMIER modern art museum in Denmark, and widely regarded as the premier modern art museum in Europe.

There is also a GREAT "Crafts" area for younger kids - ages 3 - 12 LOVE it.

Finally, if you have an extra day to spend in Copenhagen - I HIGHLY suggest that you take the train out to Frederiksborg Castle. It's the first European castle built purely to "show off" and is simply amazing. Near there, there is also a PHENOMENAL sweater shop that has all of the great Nordic sweaters.

Hello!

I will be in Copenhagen for a few hours next month as part of our Baltic cruise tour. I'm wondering how far away is Amalienborg Slot is from the Rosenborg Slot. Also I'd like to know if its possible to walk to these places from the Tivoli Gardens or is it best to take public transportation.

Another question - sorry if this sounds crazy but is it true that beer in Copenhagen cost $12 per glass? Is wine cheaper?

Thanks for your help.

can you recommend reasonable places to eat near the Marriott?

First - define "reasonable". My rule of thumb for Copenhagen is - take what you would expect to pay in places like New York City, Washington DC or Los Angeles and then DOUBLE it.

Copenhagen is NOT cheap - thanks to their 25% sales tax on EVERYTHING.

However - some great finds can be had.

The Marriott isn't too far from the Stroget - which is the main shopping street. You will need to either take a taxi or a bus to get there. The unfortunate thing with the Marriott is that it's kind of in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway - on Stroget you can find everything from hot dog carts (a Danish staple!) to very very fancy restaurants.

Ones that I would HIGHLY recommend:

At the Post Office Museum (near the Round Tower - which is another great "b" thing to do) is a great roof top cafe. Closed Monday's.

Also, Cafe Norden is FAB-U-LOUS! If you can get there between 10 am and 1pm you can have the brunch platter. This EASILY serves 2 people.

If you're in to Italian, we just ate at Mama Ludba's - again, not near the Marriott, but once you get how CPH is laid out, anything is easy to find. The price was great, wine and food was excellent, and we will gladly go back.

If you have the notion to visit Tivoli - EAT THERE. They have FANTASTIC restaurants there! (not the pirate ship, that is probably the worst food in Tivoli).

If you're in to Indian, we have friends that own India Palace kind of near Tivoli and the Town Hall Square. Buffet - and VERY reasonable.

If you're in to the Irish Pub thing - you have to go to The Dubliner. Again, friends that own it and it's a FANTASTIC meal. The stew is wonderful and we've just never had a bad meal there. They have a rooftop patio that has a great view too.

Ummmm....

Please stay away from McDonalds and BK.

Please do try a "ristet hotdog med den hele" and a chocolate milk. It's what Danes eat for lunch... and when walking and needing a nibble... and for after lunch... and for pre-dinner... and for after dinner. Well, you get it. Pretty much ALL day long. LOL

Note that things do not open until 10am - so the notion of going out for breakfast is not something that Danes do. I'm hoping your Marriott has a breakfast for you. Danes eat pastries for breakfast - so scope out a nearby bakery and plan on that for breakfast. No such thing as the "eggs and bacon" breakfast here.

Hope that helps!

Enjoy your stay!!

One thing to know - -

MOST Danish stores/shops/etc. DO NOT take American (or any Non-Danish) credit or debit cards.

They have an electronic chip in their credit/debit cards - and their card readers simply won't do the non-chip cards.

Come with your atm/debit card and plan on taking out cash for all (or nearly all) of your spending.

Now - the places where you will see the blue and white "Tax Free Shopping" signs will take foreign credit cards. These are places like Magasin, Georg Jensen, Royal Copenhagen, H&M, and some very touristy shops. (I believe you can only do tax free if you're going back via CPH airport... not sure if the cruise ships can process the tax free chits).

There is a "mall" (and I use that in the loosest sense of the word) right AT the pier. Everyone in there takes any type of money you have.

The bakeries, grocery stores, and other "normal" places WILL NOT take non-Danish cards.

ONE NOTE :::

If you are coming in the spring/summer - PLEASE and I mean PLEASE bring the most hard to get into purse that you can (must zip, go cross body, and have some type of carabiner clip running through the hole in your zipper to the shoulder strap so that the zipper can't be moved).

Men, put your wallets in your FRONT pockets or around your neck and under your shirt. NOT in your back pocket.

Pickpocketing is RAMPANT down by the pier, and literally (I am not kidding) bands of gypsies descend upon CPH in the summer to professionally pickpocket people.

If you come with travel smarts and a good healthy dose of "warning" regarding pickpockets - then you'll be JUST FINE.

The city itself is extremely safe and such a wonderful WONDERFUL place to visit.

We so happy to call it HOME.

Thank you for your most informative information. We've been to Copenhagen twice; stayed for a week the first time and walked and took buses everywhere.

Question: Two years ago we paid $36.00 U.S. from port to airport. We're flying in September 5th and staying at the Marriott for 2 nights pre-cruise. Are the taxis definitely no longer taking American dollars? If that's the case, we'll just exchange at the airport ATM.

Thanks again.

Pia

Hello Freedom with Candles:

We will have one day in port and then will be staying two days post cruise. I understand that hotels are VERY expensive. However, which hotels do you recommend? The cruiseline is offering the Scandic...I have heard that the Radisson Royal is

nice. But, would appreciate your opinion. The location is important to us, as we enjoy walking to as many places as possible.

Thanks

Hello Freedom with Candles:

We will have one day in port and then will be staying two days post cruise. I understand that hotels are VERY expensive. However, which hotels do you recommend? The cruiseline is offering the Scandic...I have heard that the Radisson Royal is

nice. But, would appreciate your opinion. The location is important to us, as we enjoy walking to as many places as possible.

Thanks

Several people have had luck with Priceline. They got the Marriott for under $150.

Pia

Question: Two years ago we paid $36.00 U.S. from port to airport. We're flying in September 5th and staying at the Marriott for 2 nights pre-cruise. Are the taxis definitely no longer taking American dollars? If that's the case, we'll just exchange at the airport ATM.

Thanks again.

Pia

Ummmm. I've never seen a taxi take USD... but I haven't really been in many so I can't say 100%.

To be safe, i would just convert money at the Nordea at the Airport. Who knows what rate the taxi drivers use to do the exchange... I'm betting it's not going to be the "going rate".

No where besides near the port have I seen anyone take USD, so I'm wondering if it's because you took the cab FROM the port to the Airport.... maybe that would be why??

Sorry I couldn't give you more solid info.

Wow thanks for all the helpful information that you have provided, I will print off all the details and use it when I am in Copenhagen.

Thank you also for the info about pick pockets etc

Between 2 of us we will have 4 cases, plus hand luggage each so I don't think that the metro or public transport will be an option (not strong enough!!) do you have any idea of roughly the price of a cab in DK?

many thanks again for all your help

regards

deb

Taxi do take credit cards.

But I do not think that ALL taxis will take American (or other foreign) credit cards.

I will do some research on this and find out more about taxi fares from the airport to the pier, and credit card acceptance.

:D

Here's part of the original post.......

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore

--------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a post farther down..........I think I'll be safe and heed the later

thanks for the heads up

---------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing to know - -

MOST Danish stores/shops/etc. DO NOT take American (or any Non-Danish) credit or debit cards.

They have an electronic chip in their credit/debit cards - and their card readers simply won't do the non-chip cards.

Come with your atm/debit card and plan on taking out cash for all (or nearly all) of your spending.

Now - the places where you will see the blue and white "Tax Free Shopping" signs will take foreign credit cards. These are places like Magasin, Georg Jensen, Royal Copenhagen, H&M, and some very touristy shops. (I believe you can only do tax free if you're going back via CPH airport... not sure if the cruise ships can process the tax free chits).

There is a "mall" (and I use that in the loosest sense of the word) right AT the pier. Everyone in there takes any type of money you have.

The bakeries, grocery stores, and other "normal" places WILL NOT take non-Danish cards.

ONE NOTE :::

If you are coming in the spring/summer - PLEASE and I mean PLEASE bring the most hard to get into purse that you can (must zip, go cross body, and have some type of carabiner clip running through the hole in your zipper to the shoulder strap so that the zipper can't be moved).

Men, put your wallets in your FRONT pockets or around your neck and under your shirt. NOT in your back pocket.

Pickpocketing is RAMPANT down by the pier, and literally (I am not kidding) bands of gypsies descend upon CPH in the summer to professionally pickpocket people.

If you come with travel smarts and a good healthy dose of "warning" regarding pickpockets - then you'll be JUST FINE.

The city itself is extremely safe and such a wonderful WONDERFUL place to visit.

We so happy to call it HOME.

Thank you, Freedom with Candles, for all your advice and suggestions.

My husband and I arrive late afternoon on Sat., July 5. We are staying at the Norlandia Richmond, which we know nothing about, but booked through British Air when we booked our flight. We plan to go to Tivoli that evening for dinner. We will have all day Sunday and Monday morning before boarding our ship and then a half day when we return on July 19. We would like to see the Louisiana Museum, Resistance Museum, Christiansborg Palace and walk the Stroget (and of course, the Little Mermaid.) If time permits, we would also like to visit Rosenborg Castle. Can you suggest the best way to organize these into the time we have? Also, please make recommendations for other options if you feel these would be better. Thank you so much for taking the time to help guests fully enjoy your adopted city. We look forward to our visit.

Hi,

We will be in Copenhagen on Saturday, August 30th, from 8-6 while on a cruise on the Jewel of the Seas. We are traveling with another couple and I am responsible for planning the day.

If you were me, and you never had been to Copenhagen before, what would your plan for the day be?

Would you purchase anything online before you go?

Where would you convert your currency?

How much currency would you need?

Since you have been so generous with your time and information, if you ever come to Sacramento, California email me and I will plan your day :D

Thank you in advance,

Jackie

Hi Freedom with candles,

We are docking at 12:00 on a Sat. and basically only have that afternoon and evening in Copenhagen and fly out early the next morning. What would be the most advantageous way to spend our limited time and still capture the flavor of the city. (We're all a young 50ish group). Thanks for your help.

Linda

FreedomWithCandles,

This question may not be one of the areas of your expertise but..can you please give an advice on how to take the transport (bus or train) from Orientbassinet (Freeport) to the airport? We have plenty of time before airport check-in and would just rather do this than taxi directly to the airport. Besides I heard it's REALLY expensive. I'm sure your reply will benefit a lot of fellow cruisers.

Thank you.

Here's part of the original post.......

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore

--------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a post farther down..........I think I'll be safe and heed the later

thanks for the heads up

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand by BOTH comments.

Copenhagen IS a very clean, safe and easy to navigate city (my comparisons based on my living in Washington DC, Norfolk VA, Providence RI, and having been to NYC, and Las Vegas - among other places).

The crime rate here is akin to something out in the middle of Nebraska.

The "major crime" here is pickpocketing, bike theft (Copenhagen has more bikes than people - you'll see what I mean when you get here), and a stabbing once in a BLUE MOON.

So - that is how I am able to say BOTH and MEAN them. :D

Go with a healthy dose of travel smarts, hang on to your wallet and info, and ENJOY!

Hello!

I will be in Copenhagen for a few hours next month as part of our Baltic cruise tour. I'm wondering how far away is Amalienborg Slot is from the Rosenborg Slot. Also I'd like to know if its possible to walk to these places from the Tivoli Gardens or is it best to take public transportation.

Another question - sorry if this sounds crazy but is it true that beer in Copenhagen cost $12 per glass? Is wine cheaper?

Thanks for your help.

Everything is ABLE to be walked... it just depends on how good your legs are :D

To give you an idea, the changing of the Queens Guard takes place every day at noon. They march from Rosenborg to Amalienborg. You can literally follow them if you get to Rosenborg for 11ish. If you get to Rosenborg for 10ish, that will give you PLENTY of time to do Rosenborg and then follow the guards to Amalienborg to see the changing of the guards.

I've never been inside Amalienborg for the tour, so I don't know how long that takes.

Tivoli is in the "city center" near the parliment square.

What I would with your list- is take the HOHO tour FIRST bus in the AM - think it's at 9am. They even stop right at your pier -- and I've heard mention that you can get the tickets right onboard too.

Ride it to Rosenborg, take in the sights, then ride it to Amalienborg and watch the changing of the guard (noon). Hop back on, get off near the canal tour stop and eat lunch at Cafe Norden OR the Dubliner or any of the other fantastic eateries in that part of the Stroget. Walk off lunch a bit and do peek in to Royal Copenhagen and Georg Jensen (while there be sure to marvel at the building they share - as it's one of the oldest in the entire city).

Then hop back on and ride to Tivoli. Do walk around the breathtaking grounds and have dinner - or at least "en gammeldags is" or an "old fashioned ice cream cone" with whipped cream and a marshmallow candy on top. YUM!

Yes. Beer AND wine will run you about $12/each. Do try either a Carlsburg or a Tuborg. Same bottling company - 2 different beers. Carlsburg is more "upscale" and Tuborg is more "common folk". Both are good.

My "Copenhagen Math" is this:

Take what you are used to paying.

Then double it if you live in a major city

Triple it if you live in a rural community.

If it's under 100DKK then it's a good buy - and that applies to most everything but CERTAINLY clothing, a restaurant meal, and any type of textiles.

100DKK roughly = $20

**Shopping in Copenhagen**

(you didn't specifically ask, but it came to mind... )

The other rule of thumb for Copenhagen is that if you see something you ADORE and really would like to have -- GET IT RIGHT THEN.

Do not think that you will get it somewhere else for a better bargain.

Most of the touristy stores don't overlap much inventory, AND their prices are all about the same.

AND - they usually only stock a few of each item, so it may be gone by the time you come back for it.

Archived