Train from Munich to BAsel anyone?

Shopinpat

We are taking a river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam however we will be landing in Munich. Has anyone taken the train from Munich to BAsel??

Any insight appreciated.

Does anyone know how far the train station that brings you from Munich would be to the river boats? Not sure if there is more than one port however we are on Viking.

Thanks

We are taking a river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam however we will be landing in Munich. Has anyone taken the train from Munich to BAsel??

Any insight appreciated.

Does anyone know how far the train station that brings you from Munich would be to the river boats? Not sure if there is more than one port however we are on Viking.

Thanks

I would go to www.flyertalk.com with your question.

Under the "travel and dining" tab you will find a section called European Train Travel...I am sure they can help.

According to bahn.de you have to change at least once. Duration is app. 5-6 hours depending on the connection.

You also have to add a bit more than an hour for getting from Munich airport to the central train station. The suburban train (S1 or S8 whichever leaves first) takes app. 45 min to the central train station. Munich airport is not even within the city limits of Munich but North.

Basel train station is not within walking distance (considering the fact you have bags to carry). So take a cab.

steamboats

• 2 years later...

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there.... I know you had an old posting about train travel Munich to Basel, but I was wondering if you ever was able to figure out the train situation. We are travelling from Munich to Basel on August 31st of this year and am also trying to figure the best way to travel.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Have you checked for flights? Last year we booked EasyJet Basel to Berlin. Perhaps there is something similar. Also there are two train stations in Basel.. You can save a bunch by purchasing tickets early.

I did not check flights.... we are trying to stay in the general vicinity of Munich a few days before August 31st, as we have a friend in the Regensberg area that wants us meet up with them in the area of Regensberg and Nuremberg. We need to be in Basel on the 31st as we have a cruise up the Rhine to Amsterdam on the 1st of September.

Thanks for any insight.

A tram goes directly from the Basel train station to within about 4 blocks from the pier.

Thanks Ken....

Is that the SBB or SSB train station that is near the pier? We are still trying to figure the train situation...............so far it appears REALLY expensive from Munich to Basel. The Eurorail people sent me a note saying that the one way fare is $262 each person....that just seems like a lot.

Thanks again for any information you have....

Thanks Ken....

Is that the SBB or SSB train station that is near the pier? We are still trying to figure the train situation...............so far it appears REALLY expensive from Munich to Basel. The Eurorail people sent me a note saying that the one way fare is $262 each person....that just seems like a lot.

Thanks again for any information you have....

Have you tried using the DB Bahn website, believe you should be able to get a train from Munich to Basel for about 120 Euro for both in 2nd class and about 140 Euro for 1st class. I used this company when we went to Garmisch, flew into Munich took the train from airport to Garmisch for 38 Euro for 5 people.

• 2 weeks later...

Great information here......

We are beginning to think that we may forgo going to Berlin and spend the bulk of our pre-cruise in the Munich area. Seems like so much to see/do in and around there. I may well try to visit with an old friend of mine who lives in Laaber while there also.

Looks like the train from Munich to Basel is a bit less expensive than I first thought..... so will be trying to figure out times etc. once we figure out how much time we are going to spend in Munich and how much time we want to spend in Basel before we set sail.

Thanks everyone for all the great tips and ideas!!!!!

Archived