Solo Dining - How to secure a table alone?

OskiBear

Hi All -

I've booked my first transatlantic cruise and am trying to get all the details in order.

I'm traveling alone and am actually looking forward to some solitude. I've selected a table for two at the earlier seating.

Is there a way to assure myself of a table alone or will I be paired up with another solo traveler? Do I ask the maitre'd once onboard?

Many thanks for your help/insight!

Hi All -

I've booked my first transatlantic cruise and am trying to get all the details in order.

I'm traveling alone and am actually looking forward to some solitude. I've selected a table for two at the earlier seating.

Is there a way to assure myself of a table alone or will I be paired up with another solo traveler? Do I ask the maitre'd once onboard?

Many thanks for your help/insight!

OskiBear,

Perhaps others will have some better tips for you, but I simply had to respond, as I am also a solo passenger who prefers to dine alone and I have never regretted it.

I do think securing the two top was your first step. When on board, do not hesitate to see the MD ASAP and be sure he or she knows that you only dine alone and having that accommodation would be very much appreciated.

In case more drastic measures are needed, you may have to consider letting the MD know that you regret not being able to participate in the dining experience and request that he or she advise you when your request can be met. It is really going out on a limb to do that, but keep smiling, understanding, all the while being adamant. You really need to be a gambler for this approach.

Good luck.

Jeanne

Unfortunately, selecting a table for two and actually getting it are two different things. There are a limited number of tables for two, and demand frequently exceeds supply.

Edited by BobBranst

Why not book a Table for 8 on second sitting and request an Officers table, That way you hopefully will make new friends if your request is accepted, The Officer or his deputy will dine with you on Formal Nights.

Edited by Pennbank

I've asked the question about being paired with another solo passenger at a table for two a few months ago and all the replies I received was that it will not happen. You would be alone.

I'm like you, hope to have a two top to myself.

Good luck.

Don

Thanks all for the replies. It sounds like I leave my reservation as is, and ask upon embarkation to have a table alone, if it isn't already the case.

As a side note, I see there are lots of solo cruisers - however, is it terribly odd to want to remain alone versus taking it as an opportunity to meet new people and mingle? :)

Thanks all for the replies. It sounds like I leave my reservation as is, and ask upon embarkation to have a table alone, if it isn't already the case.

As a side note, I see there are lots of solo cruisers - however, is it terribly odd to want to remain alone versus taking it as an opportunity to meet new people and mingle? :)

If you are dining in the Grills..you can always order from the menu & dine ensuite. You can do the same in Britannia Club. Otherwise "roomservice" is rather bland. I don't think you'll have a problem dining alone. If you are actually getting a table for 2(and not waitlisted)The table should be yours for the trip.

OskiBear,

Be aware that many people will indeed think it is odd. Speaking for myself, I am very social, I just like to have a quiet time while eating. I got the impression you feel the same. There are so many opportunities to meet people and socialize on board, meal time is not necessarily the be all and end all. It really has to boil down with what you feel most comfortable with.

Jeanne

It is your voyage and if you wish to dine alone then you should not be criticized for that. You are not truly alone, there are lots of diners around you as well as a waiter, junior waiter, Head Waiter and Wine sommelier. I travel solo, I choose to dine at a table of possibly six but I quite often spend time alone in my cabin when I wish my own company. To each his own.

The advice to see the maître d immediately upon boarding is a must, in my opinion. Ending up with another solo at your table for two would be more socially demanding than sitting at a larger table, in my opinion....totally defeating your intention.

There is nothing wrong with simply explaining that you prefer to dine alone. They don't care why, they just care that you do. :)

I sail QM2 solo all the time, i've taken to sail Princess Grill where i can easily secure a table for two to my self. I also just sailed Crystal Serenity solo at a table for two alone. Its not odd, its a personal choice. See the matr'd and enjoy YOUR trip the way you want to

Edited by avalon1025

Hopefully you will have your request fulfilled. I'd like to think that they would be more sympathetic to such a request from a solo traveller.

Is the later seating too late? It could be an option to offer up to the maitre 'd.

Edited by Toffeegirl68

Hi OskiBear. I often dined solo on business trips. Like you, I enjoyed the solitude despite the fact that in some countries, a woman dining alone gets some odd stares. (I think of that as being their problem, not mine :)

I have no experience of the Grills, but if your asking about Britannia - I've seen passengers dine solo in Britannia and not given it a second thought, but it's not seen as often as passengers dining at larger tables.

Just in case you aren't already aware - there are many two tops in Britannia that are situated about a foot away from another table for two (or four). It's impossible to ignore other passengers sitting that close together, so naturally there's a bit of conversation at least initially. I've mostly found this to be quite pleasant*, but the solitude you seek in dining solo many not be all that you hoped for due to the close proximity of others. So be sure to check your table allocation when you board (that information will be on a card in your stateroom). See the maître d' in Britannia ASAP if you want a more "isolated" table, although since there are fewer of those tables, it may be more difficult to arrange.

Alternatively, it's usually no problem to get a random table for one at breakfast and lunch and a fixed table for six at dinner. Solitude at breakfast and lunch - company at dinner: just another option:) My husband and I been lucky enough to meet some very interesting tablemates on QM2, thoroughly enjoying their company and conversation. But as I said, I completely understand your looking forward to solitude; the choice of table size is yours and I hope that the maître d' secures the perfect table for you.

Bon voyage,

Salacia

*An exception: The time we booked a table for two because we wanted some quiet time together. Seated on other side of us was a table for four: a man and woman and their two children under the age of three who took turns crying their little eyes out during dinner most nights (late seating!) :eek:

Edited by Salacia

Hi OskiBear. I often dined solo on business trips. Like you, I enjoyed the solitude despite the fact that in some countries, a woman dining alone gets some odd stares. (I think of that as being their problem, not mine :)

I have no experience of the Grills, but if your asking about Britannia - I've seen passengers dine solo in Britannia and not given it a second thought, but it's not seen as often as passengers dining at larger tables.

Just in case you aren't already aware - there are many two tops in Britannia that are situated about a foot away from another table for two (or four). It's impossible to ignore other passengers sitting that close together, so naturally there's a bit of conversation at least initially. I've mostly found this to be quite pleasant*, but the solitude you seek in dining solo many not be all that you hoped for due to the close proximity of others. So be sure to check your table allocation when you board (that information will be on a card in your stateroom). See the maître d' in Britannia ASAP if you want a more "isolated" table, although since there are fewer of those tables, it may be more difficult to arrange.

Alternatively, it's usually no problem to get a random table for one at breakfast and lunch and a fixed table for six at dinner. Solitude at breakfast and lunch - company at dinner: just another option:) My husband and I been lucky enough to meet some very interesting tablemates on QM2, thoroughly enjoying their company and conversation. But as I said, I completely understand your looking forward to solitude; the choice of table size is yours and I hope that the maître d' secures the perfect table for you.

Bon voyage,

Salacia

*An exception: The time we booked a table for two because we wanted some quiet time together. Seated on other side of us was a table for four: a man and woman and their two children under the age of three who took turns crying their little eyes out during dinner most nights (late seating!) :eek:

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

This particular situation seems to follow me a lot. I travel alone frequently, throughout the world and enjoy the solitude.

Unfortunately, there are often some very friendly people out there who seem to view singles as "causes" to take up. This happened to me very recently at a hotel lounge's breakfast.

I'm usually well-situated in terms of entertainment (book/paper/ipad to read) or I just enjoy watching others and the activity around me without actually engaging in it. However, I do think some folks might take pity on me and try to engage in conversation. Then, I feel terribly rude not responding but, alas, it kind of defeats my original intent. LOL

Sounds like the advice is to check in with the Maitre'd pronto upon arrival.

Many thanks to everyone!

There is another option if you're less than satisfied with your table allocation and that would be to have dinner at King's Court in one of their "speciality dining" options that are available at dinner. Unfortunately there is a small charge for dinner at these venues.

You can also call Cunard and ask them to make a notation on your reservation that you wish to be seated alone at your "table for two".

They are able to link people who request to dine together long before the ships sail. I would think they could perform a similar service for you.

Having your request in advance might help the MD to be able to fulfill your wishes more easily.

That said, I would still check with the MD immediately after boarding. The table assignment card in your cabin would not say whether, or not, someone else was assigned to your table.

Best of luck! Have a pleasant voyage!

It would be interesting to know what criteria is used in the computer program that assign dining room seating. If there are more people requesting tables for two than the number available, who would get priority? Would it be earliest booking date, Cunard World Club ranking, some other "loyalty" factor or purely random assignment? I don't know, but I doubt that it is random.

The MD can only reassign to seats that are vacant, so if all of the tables for two were taken, the people who were originally assigned a table for two would have to request a move before the MD could reassign that table for two.