First or Second Cruise anticipation?

kublaieod

I am more excited for my 2nd cruise than I was my first. I was so excited to be in my first cruise but I am driving my wife crazy as I am constantly looking at cruise forums, review videos, photos. I simply can't get enough and I don't sail until 22 June (CC DREAM).

Did this happen from many of you?

My first cruise was wonderful but wasn't a complete vacation. We took my elderly parents which both needed assistance and walk very slowly. They had never been either so I wanted them to share it with us.

This cruise is just the wife and I and that may be one reason why I am so stoked.

So again, First, second, or once you start you are hooked forever!!

I can relate.

My first cruise was with a friend and it was good, I enjoyed it but I'm looking forward to this next one (in a few days time) because I'll be with my husband.

It's just more relaxing with a spouse...you can just be yourselves and probably have more shared interests.

I think the 2nd is more exciting than the 1st, too! You KNOW what you're getting into, and you can't wait!

The 1st cruise was great...we simply didn't know HOW great it was going to be, until we did it!

First cruise was a "trial run" to see if I get motion sick, if anything goes wrong, if I like it... So it was just a general worry.

With the 2nd and other cruises it was excitment and "can I go now" ;)

my first was 10 years ago...the wife and I went to the Caribbean for a week on Carnival for our honeymoon. Now for the 10 year anniversary, 11 night Mediterranean on Celebrity....I'm giddy like a school girl....I think I'm more excited for the destinations

I think the 2nd is more exciting than the 1st, too! You KNOW what you're getting into, and you can't wait!

The 1st cruise was great...we simply didn't know HOW great it was going to be, until we did it!

Exactly! :D

My first was booked 18 months in advance, then delayed (new build) by 3 months. I was so excited I could barely touch ground that whole time.

We've just completed #26 and are looking to plan #28. It's an addiction.

We still get excited, not quite as much as the first few.

I was over the moon excited about our first cruise because it meant that I would have my hubby all to myself for a week. No phone calls from his boss at ungodly hours of the day or night. No extended travel either to Europe or stateside. Nothing but us. It was wonderful.

The second was just ok. We were working through some rough patches and that coupled with the cruise line itself, it wasn't as "magical".

The third cruise we were celebrating 20 years of marriage and right after booking the cruise, I discovered Cruise Critic. Now I'm online planning everything for each of our cruises. Drives DH nuts, but he doesn't complain because the results speak for themselves - he's had a fabulous time on all our excursions.

I'm now planning stuff for our 6th cruise to celebrate 30 years of marriage. Even though we'll have been to most of the islands we're visiting, I'm still over the moon excited - I get DH for a week without the kids and we'll be doing some really fun stuff together.

Cruise #7 will probably be my youngest son's pre-graduation cruise in 2017 - Mediterranean! I can't wait! I've been planning a little bit - not too intense right now, but I'll get there! :D

• 3 months later...
My first was booked 18 months in advance, then delayed (new build) by 3 months. I was so excited I could barely touch ground that whole time.

We've just completed #26 and are looking to plan #28. It's an addiction.

We still get excited, not quite as much as the first few.

I do not get as excited as I used to get, but I do like posting here to my "friends." I still enjoy cruising but I am just as happy doing other trips. I know last year, I loved seeing ports in California which is what I liked about the cruise not the cruise itself. It was fun spending post cruise in the Sonoma valley and visiting wineries there and in Napa. I also enjoyed Armstrong Forest and Muir Woods; those trees were the real highlight.

Even though we are doing a Caribbean cruise this Thanksgiving we got a decent price on it so we booked as our daughter loves cruising and cannot go as often as us because of her teaching position and the cost of cruising when she is free to go.

I now feel, it is better for us to go less often, and go places we have not been. We do want to do anther from California, but this time we should pick Mexico and go from LA or San Diego in order to see MORE things around there.

One thing the Med cruise showed me too,even though we picked a great ship and had a great stateroom; is that cruise ships make great ferry service. On the Med cruise we were too tired for going to dinner and shows several nights. Still we so enjoyed the 12 hour ports, we well got our money's worth. Of course I hope to go back to Italy one day, as the cruise gave us a great taste of what is there, but next time a land trip.

We have yet to go to Hawaii and hubby really wants to go to Kauai? which is why even though NCL has gotten bad reviews, we will do that cruise one day (as ferry service) I hope, along with a week in Honolulu.

As long as my health holds out that is! Unfortunately,right now that is a bigger factor than the pocket book; although money is a factor too, for sure.

Edited by momofmeg

after having sailed more than 40 times, I can vouch for the fact that the excitement NEVER wears off. In fact, where I didn't start planning my next cruise until about 90 days out, I now have two or sometimes three booked at the same time as far out as a year and a half!

Like I said, it never gets old; it just gets BETTER!

I am more excited for my 2nd cruise than I was my first. I was so excited to be in my first cruise but I am driving my wife crazy as I am constantly looking at cruise forums, review videos, photos. I simply can't get enough and I don't sail until 22 June (CC DREAM).

Did this happen from many of you?

My first cruise was wonderful but wasn't a complete vacation. We took my elderly parents which both needed assistance and walk very slowly. They had never been either so I wanted them to share it with us.

This cruise is just the wife and I and that may be one reason why I am so stoked.

So again, First, second, or once you start you are hooked forever!!

You got the bug... we have had it since l983... still cruising over 50+ cruises.

I'm excited about EVERY cruise I take! I will say the 2nd was better than the first since I wasn't stressed out about "what if?". I knew what to expect so it was a whole lot less stressful. I LOVE cruising and don't ever tire of doing research for the next one! Don't ever lose that passion!

While the reasons and expectations driving our cruising interests may change over time, we still look forward our next cruise with anticipation that usually starts with stepping off the ship from our last cruise. And we always have a couple planned or "on the books" as a result so that as one ends the next one is in sight.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

While the reasons and expectations driving our cruising interests may change over time, we still look forward our next cruise with anticipation that usually starts with stepping off the ship from our last cruise. And we always have a couple planned or "on the books" as a result so that as one ends the next one is in sight.

Yes, we always look forward, because we are on vacation but that does not mean it is because it is a cruise. If it is back to Nassau or Cozumel and a private island,well I would just as soon go to stay at a condo we rent out at Myrtle Beach. We always get a balcony there with ocean views. I enjoy those trips and look forward but I am not super excited. If it is a port we had not been to yes I am more excited as it it is someplace new. I guess I get excited when I go somewhere new. the first 8 or 10 cruises we took, yes we were pretty excited; now we just look forward unless it is somewhere new.