Just off Grandeur with bed bug issue

They don't heat treat the room and they don't fumigate individual rooms. For Pete's sake. They may fog it, they obviously replaced the bedding and shampooed the carpet, they probably did spot or perimeter treatments with pesticides. They may have one of the new freeze units, which will work for minor infestations. It pretty much sounds like they did everything they can for a minor infestation. It should be fine.

They don't heat treat the room and they don't fumigate individual rooms. For Pete's sake. They may fog it, they obviously replaced the bedding and shampooed the carpet, they probably did spot or perimeter treatments with pesticides. They may have one of the new freeze units, which will work for minor infestations. It pretty much sounds like they did everything they can for a minor infestation. It should be fine.

+1

bosco

I just retired after working for over 2 decades in the pest control industry. Sad to say but we always said that there are 2 types of hotels, the ones that have had bed bugs and the ones that will get them. Cruise Ships are not immune!

Yes heat treatments work but usually will need small amounts of chemical. Just so you know on every RC Ship there is at least 1 pest control professional on board. All of your Room Attendants are trained to know what to look for. They are brought on by passengers & crew.

When traveling I take some precautions so I don't take them home.

1. If you do see a bed bug report it immediately to the front desk. Please do it discretely so there is no panic by other cruisers. Many times I was called to a place where customers were yelling that they had bed bugs, and they were not bed bugs. No need to cause a panic.

2. Check your mattress & box springs for any signs of bed bugs. Also check the headboard and dressers.

3. I have bed bug proof covers for my luggage. You can also use a large garbage bag to cover.

4. Any clothes that you have that can only be washed in cold water, don't put in dresser drawers.

5. When I return from a trip I put all my clothes in the dryer on high heat for about 20 minutes. Then I wash them and heat dry again. As stated heat will kill the bed bug and egg.

6. If you are buying new luggage get the hard shell luggage, there are less places for the bed bugs to hide. The cloth luggage especially the ones without zippers have hundreds of places for them to hide.

These are just a few tips for everyone that can help. Please please please if you do find a bed bug do exactly like the OP did Discreetly! Don't go telling everyone about it there is no need for a panic. Royal has trained people that will take care of the problem. I always told everyone that a bed bug bite is basically harmless, but no one wants bugs in their bed with them. Enjoy your cruise and don't let worrying about bed bugs ruin it.

Appreciate your approach and openness with a situation that being important has to be dealt with "intelligence". You did a great job! Thanks.

DW and I embark in the GOTS this Thursday; we,ll report on the subject upon our return.

Rebeca ;) and Herb :confused:

We carry BuggyBeds with us. Place one or two under the mattress upon entering the room. Leave for an hour or so and check the trap. If anything is in the BuggyBed, run, do not walk, to the hotel front desk and have them move you.

We have never caught a bed bug on a Royal Caribbean ship.

We carry BuggyBeds with us. Place one or two under the mattress upon entering the room. Leave for an hour or so and check the trap. If anything is in the BuggyBed, run, do not walk, to the hotel front desk and have them move you.

What are buggybeds?

Wow never heard of this. Will definitely use on our next vacation.

OP stated that the ship was full and that they could not be moved.

OP stated that the ship was full and that they could not be moved.

Yeah thanks for restating that. It was full. Nothing was available; believe me we asked. Guess that's why they gave us the FCC instead. So far what they did to treat the situation seemed fine. So far no signs we brought home any tagalongs thank god