Question on coco cay tender and no pier

luv2cruiserccl

So our last cruise we missed coco cay due to rough seas I know labadee has a really nice pier been there I would like to get any reason why rccl dont do the same for cococay I know it Would be costly but there are several ships that vist some times 2 ships and it would also make any one with a disability or wheel chair much easier to get off the ship then a tender boat. So just thought I would post if anyone could explain why they can or maybe can not build one.

sent from my galaxy s4 please excuse any error's thanks

The pier at Labadee was built because Oasis and Allure go there and there are too many onboard to tender. Neither ship goes to Coco Cay which is why they so far haven't built a pier.

BTW, rough seas can prevent ships from going to ports with piers also.

Edited by BND

The pier at Labadee was built because Oasis and Allure go there and there are too many onboard to tender. Neither ship goes to Coco Cay which is why they so far haven't built a pier.

BTW, rough seas can prevent ships from going to ports with piers also.

True but it would be nice even for freedom class or oasis 3 if coming to Florida

True but it would be nice even for freedom class or oasis 3 if coming to Florida

Freedom goes there and tenders and we have no idea where Oasis 3 is going to be home ported or what itinerary it will have so that's a moot point right now.

Grand Cayman is also a tender port and there are issues going there sometimes. To me, Coco Cay is a minor port and as long as they have Labadee, it may not be worth the money involved to dredge and build a port at Coco Cay.

Edited by BND

Many areas of the Bahamas are not very deep at all. As far away as they ships anchor for tendering to Coco Cay, I would imagine the depth of the water has everything to do with that. Having spent time with friends who lived on a boat in the Bahamas for several years, I saw just how shallow many areas are. When going between islands, you don't pick your point of destination and go in a straight line even with a boat a depth of 10 or 12 feet. We had to carefully watch the charts and depth finder to avoid many very large shallow areas.

Building a pier would need approval from the owner of Little Stirrup (CocoCay), which is the Bahamas. The lease that RCL signed for use of the island, did not call for a pier to be built. This would have to be re-negotiated. It would be extremely expensive (as all major projects are in the Bahamas) and would require a lot of bribes to the right people to get completed. I just don't see how it would be economically feasible.

CocoCay / Little Stirrup Cay is surrounded by a wonderful coral reef. The ships must anchor out beyond it. This means NO pier. Ever. (unless somehow both the government of the Bahamas and the management of Royal Caribbean decide to wreak environmental disaster on the area)

CocoCay / Little Stirrup Cay is surrounded by a wonderful coral reef. The ships must anchor out beyond it. This means NO pier. Ever. (unless somehow both the government of the Bahamas and the management of Royal Caribbean decide to wreak environmental disaster on the area)

I didnt know the water depth issue in cococay area I guess that would make sence why no pier

So our last cruise we missed coco cay due to rough seas I know labadee has a really nice pier been there I would like to get any reason why rccl dont do the same for cococay I know it Would be costly but there are several ships that vist some times 2 ships and it would also make any one with a disability or wheel chair much easier to get off the ship then a tender boat. So just thought I would post if anyone could explain why they can or maybe can not build one.

My question would be "where would you put this pier?". Labadee is an existing harbor in a cove with a breakwater to protect the harbor. At Coco Cay, you would have to jut the dock out to deep water in essentially the open ocean. What would protect the dock and ships docked there from high seas, bad weather, etc?

My question would be "where would you put this pier?". Labadee is an existing harbor in a cove with a breakwater to protect the harbor. At Coco Cay, you would have to jut the dock out to deep water in essentially the open ocean. What would protect the dock and ships docked there from high seas, bad weather, etc?

It would be doable. The depth where the ships currently anchor is not very deep. A breakwater and pier could be built there.

It would be doable. The depth where the ships currently anchor is not very deep. A breakwater and pier could be built there.

Ya I think it would be nice for all guest and people with disabilities as well but it would probably be expensive but so are building several new ships to.

It would be economically prohibitive and environmentally unsound. The pier would have to go out to where the ships currently anchor. That would be a long walk. To build a pier would destroy the reef system. From the visits I have made there disabled folks have had no issues tendering.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If they're unable to get any closer due to a reef I don't see that 1/2mi + pier being any easier for folks with disabilities. That's quite a hike :D

...unless they installed moving walkways on the pier like they have at airports and universal studios!

My question does the pier have to go where the ships anchor? Would there be another location on any part of the island that could work or there only option tender only?

The other side of the island is lagoon, very shallow, you would have to blast through the reef, and then blast a channel to a pier. Not environmentally friendly, and very costly.

Building a breakwater to enclose a pier of that length would cost 2-3 times the cost of the pier alone, so while doable, not very profitable or likely.