Which Cruise line doesn't charge for infant?

We plan a cruise to Caribbean with our 1 year old baby this summer. At first we though royal caribbean is not bad, but was told that we need to pay the full price for the baby just as an adult. I googled and found that a lot of cruise lines charge for infant. Does anybody know any cruise line that have special policy/deal for baby?

Thank you so much!

SSQ

WELCOME to Cruise Critic! :)

During summer Caribbean sailings when the bulk of the mass market fleet is sailing elsewhere the remaining ships and cruise lines don't run deals on triple/quad occupancy or 'kids free' promotions. Expect to pay full (or barely reduced) 3rd or 4th passenger rates regardless if it is an infant or not.

Sorry... :(

Disappointed~~~, But at least we may have chance in low season.

A much, much better chance of getting a promotional kids rate off-season and between major holidays when kids are in school! If you're flexible it may be a much better option. :)

We plan a cruise to Caribbean with our 1 year old baby this summer. At first we though royal caribbean is not bad, but was told that we need to pay the full price for the baby just as an adult. I googled and found that a lot of cruise lines charge for infant. Does anybody know any cruise line that have special policy/deal for baby?

Thank you so much!

SSQ

To qualify as an infant the individual usually must be under 1 year of age. There are some lines that do offer free children fares. One that comes to mind is Disney. But the adults do have to pay dearly for their own fare.

NCL does offer something but I believe it may only apply if it is under one year of age.

To qualify as an infant the individual usually must be under 1 year of age. There are some lines that do offer free children fares. One that comes to mind is Disney. But the adults do have to pay dearly for their own fare.

NCL does offer something but I believe it may only apply if it is under one year of age.

I did also check Disney Cruise Lines over their summer sailings and infant rates were $650-$800 depending on sailing date.

Thank you so much!

SSQ

The reason that they do charge for infants is that a ship is licensed to carry a specific number of people. Your infant counts as one of the people. However, they get no additional income from your infant - she does not drink, buy stuff, go on excursions, etc. So, even at whatever fare they are charging you for your child - they are loosing money.

If your infant was not on board, they could possibly carry one more adult passenger who buys all the stuff I listed above.

Hope this explanation helps. You may not like it or feel that it is fair but that is the economic reason for the charge.

DON

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Also remember that some lines may also charge you gratuities/hotel service charges for your 1 year old. The baby still has to sleep somewhere -- eat, etc. -- thus the cabin stewards and dining room staff need to clean and service those areas for your infant.

On NCL, children under the age of 2 pay only government taxes and port fees. Also, NCL doesn't impose its service charge of $12 per day for children under the age of 3.

However at this time NCL doesn't have any Caribbean cruises during the summer months. They do offer both Bahamas and Bermuda cruises during the summer, if those itineraries are of any interest to you.

For a 7 night Florida /Bahamas cruise on the Norwegian Gem departing New York in July 2012, you would pay about $295 in port fees and government taxes for the 1 yo. You would pay about $180 for the 1yo on a 4 night Bahamas cruise on the Norwegian Sky departing from Miami .

I did also check Disney Cruise Lines over their summer sailings and infant rates were $650-$800 depending on sailing date.

Bummer. Aparently Costa is offering free fares for children. Keep in mind that this is an Italian cruise line with focus on Europeans.

And yes, I am aware of the incidents this cruise line has had over the past few years.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/04/costa-cruises-cruise-deal-kids/683681/1

Bummer. Aparently Costa is offering free fares for children. Keep in mind that this is an Italian cruise line with focus on Europeans.

And yes, I am aware of the incidents this cruise line has had over the past few years.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/04/costa-cruises-cruise-deal-kids/683681/1

Costa reportedly offers a wonderful product to their 'target market' but I have read some mind-numbing (not in a good way) reviews of those who have cruised Costa and are more accustomed to the food, service, and demographics of the main mass market ships that most often sail from south Florida. :(

They (Costa) do not sail from the US in the Summer months that the OP originally asked about but if they flexible to the off-season sailings the number of ships sailing from south Florida nearly triples as the bulk of the entire fleets of Celebrity Cruises, Princess Cruises, and Holland-America and a number of RCI, NCL, and CCL ships return to their winter routes in the Caribbean.

Not that this helps in the summer in the Caribbean, but MSC has free kid fares (up to 12 or maybe even 17, just pay taxes and port fees). They only bring one ship over for the winter though.

Yes, MSC is well known for child-free places. P&O have very special rates for babies, and good night nurseries, but their 2 ships in the Carib. next winter only sail from Barbados.

Jo.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually have nothing to add to this conversation. Your profile picture is so awesome, I just had to jump in and tell you! :D

Archived