New Molton Brown products? Are the old ones still available?

jozi

Any one on board the Sojourn recently-- do they still have the "old" Molton Brown toiletries (esp shampoo/conditioner) or just the "new" custom Seabourn scents? If only the new products, how are they? Thanks!

Don't know about Sojourn but on Encore they had Molton Brown in tubes rather than the bottles. They are much easier to squeeze out. I always had those bottles standing on their tops trying to get the shampoo and body lotion out. Must say the fragrance was not particularly memorable.

We had the new ones on Sojourn last autumn - much easier to get at, in tubes, especially the body lotion. I doubt if the old ones are still around, and the scents were - as always - rather esoteric, but I found them pleasant enough.

The new line should have been implemented on all ships by now. I quite like the new scent and find it more modern, fresh and complex, not the same old sweet smell.

What I dislike is the packaging - the new tubes are bigger than unnecessary and pack in more air than product; they take up more room and require more plastic material and are environmentally unfriendly. Also, if they are dropped on the floor, the little inside tip breaks easily, rendering the opening mechanism useless.

I really dislike Molton Brown, not cheap, but equally, not a quality product IMO. As a result I have to bring my own toiletries when sailing Seabourn. I wish they would give us a change to another brand.

I really dislike Molton Brown, not cheap, but equally, not a quality product IMO. As a result I have to bring my own toiletries when sailing Seabourn. I wish they would give us a change to another brand.

Some hotels and cruise lines have an alternate product range (usually fragrance-free, at a minimum) for guests with sensitive skin. Does anyone know if SB has something like that?

I have to say - we were on the Encore in February and had the new Moulton Brown products. The bath gel and lotion were fine, but the shampoo and conditioner just stripped my hair. I have NEVER had an issue with the products provided in high end hotel and cruise lines (Silversea, RSSC, Crystal) so didn't have any back - up with me. After washing my hair once, I was horrified. It was like you could squeeze the hairs on my head and they would crackle. I went to my stewardess, and after two days of back and forth ( got lots of new gel that I didn't want or need), I went to Seabourn Square, who sent me to Housekeeping. Apparently, there is NO alternative to these MB products available (another issue - always have been offered alternatives as a matter of course on the first day on Silversea, Crystal and RSSC). Housekeeper offered to get me alternatives at next port, which she failed to do. So then, I pitched a bit of a fit. She finally just went to the ship's store and brought me some shampoo and conditioner. I was desperate by this time, since I had been putting off washing, waiting for the Housekeper. It took me a couple weeks to get back to normal. I will sail Seabourn again, but will take my own products. To repeat, I have never had to do that before at any luxury hotel or cruise line, but I will not take that chance again with SB.

Thanks for the "heads up" (bad pun). Good to know. I was partial to the MB glossing shampoo/conditioner, even bought it at home. I think they had something different at the hair salon and spa showers, Elemis, maybe? Anyway, interesting. Crystal went from Aveda to Etro a couple of years ago, but still had some Aveda stashed away.

I have to say - we were on the Encore in February and had the new Moulton Brown products. The bath gel and lotion were fine, but the shampoo and conditioner just stripped my hair. I have NEVER had an issue with the products provided in high end hotel and cruise lines (Silversea, RSSC, Crystal) so didn't have any back - up with me. After washing my hair once, I was horrified. It was like you could squeeze the hairs on my head and they would crackle. I went to my stewardess, and after two days of back and forth ( got lots of new gel that I didn't want or need), I went to Seabourn Square, who sent me to Housekeeping. Apparently, there is NO alternative to these MB products available (another issue - always have been offered alternatives as a matter of course on the first day on Silversea, Crystal and RSSC). Housekeeper offered to get me alternatives at next port, which she failed to do. So then, I pitched a bit of a fit. She finally just went to the ship's store and brought me some shampoo and conditioner. I was desperate by this time, since I had been putting off washing, waiting for the Housekeper. It took me a couple weeks to get back to normal. I will sail Seabourn again, but will take my own products. To repeat, I have never had to do that before at any luxury hotel or cruise line, but I will not take that chance again with SB.

You may want to email SB guest services a couple of months before your next sailing to ask if they would place a special order of your preferred hair products. They may very well agree to do so without any additional cost to you, especially given your prior bad experience. That way you won't have to deal with extra weight and liquids in your suitcases.

I like Mouton Brown products and we use some at home, but I dislike the shampoo/conditioner they use on board and agree that it strips hair. Also the new signature scent has eucalyptus which I am highly allergic to. I have to sadly pass on the new offerings.

I have to say - we were on the Encore in February and had the new Moulton Brown products. The bath gel and lotion were fine, but the shampoo and conditioner just stripped my hair. I have NEVER had an issue with the products provided in high end hotel and cruise lines (Silversea, RSSC, Crystal) so didn't have any back - up with me. After washing my hair once, I was horrified. It was like you could squeeze the hairs on my head and they would crackle. I went to my stewardess, and after two days of back and forth ( got lots of new gel that I didn't want or need), I went to Seabourn Square, who sent me to Housekeeping. Apparently, there is NO alternative to these MB products available (another issue - always have been offered alternatives as a matter of course on the first day on Silversea, Crystal and RSSC). Housekeeper offered to get me alternatives at next port, which she failed to do. So then, I pitched a bit of a fit. She finally just went to the ship's store and brought me some shampoo and conditioner. I was desperate by this time, since I had been putting off washing, waiting for the Housekeper. It took me a couple weeks to get back to normal. I will sail Seabourn again, but will take my own products. To repeat, I have never had to do that

before at any luxury hotel or cruise line, but I will not take that chance again with SB.

This is very interesting because I had the same issue - the shampoo was terrible and wrecked my hair. I have never had a problem like it. As a result, I went emergency shopping at the next port for shampoo. What is it with Seabourn and the devotion to Molton Brown? They have used the for years and surely we could be offered a change by now. As it stands, I am going to be sailing a 'luxury' brand cruise line but having to bring my own toiletries because the in-house products are inferior.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

are you serious?

The only thing that I would add to this discussion of abundance is the huge amount of plastic rubbish that comes up every day. They could just as well provide dispensers like they have in the spa. The brand is just fine. As is Elemis, as is Bulgari, etc etc. Chemically it's all the same anyway. If your hair doesn't "like" MOLTON BROWN just bring your own stuff and don't torture the stewardess with that nonsense.

Yes indeed - serious. I have used many brands and am not very fussy - but never had this problem before. Molton Brown is simply not a quality product and there is nothing 'fine' about it. On Windstar they provide l'Occitane, which is superior in every way - certainly no complaints there. I'll continue to bring my own on Seabourn - but yes, I do agree that dispensers would be a better idea.

Agree about dispensers. Still like some MB product but sounds like the new, "custom" formulation is harsh. Products are not the same. Even the different old versions of MB on board had different smells and properties.

It was a nice breakthrough in travel not to schlep shampoo, hair dryers and irons, so I don't like regression. If you've ever had a liquid leak in luggage....

Nice problem to have in the overall scheme of things, though.

Yes indeed - serious. I have used many brands and am not very fussy - but never had this problem before. Molton Brown is simply not a quality product and there is nothing 'fine' about it. On Windstar they provide l'Occitane, which is superior in every way - certainly no complaints there. I'll continue to bring my own on Seabourn - but yes, I do agree that dispensers would be a better idea.

I also wish SB would provide hair and body care products that offer first and foremost quality and efficacy for hair and body, instead of the focus on fragrance and branding. A lot of the fancy hotels stock big name products, e.g. Bulgari, Ferragamo, Acca Kappa, from huge global manufacturers and distributors, e.g. Guest Supply, that focus on cost and volume and essentially use the same basic formulation on all their products for all their clients (from 1 to 5 stars), with the difference being the added fragrance and packaging.

I also think bulk dispensers are a good idea, to cut down on cost, waste, and environmental impact. Apparently a lot of deluxe hotels have thought about this and some have even tried it, only to abandon the practice, because of image and branding issues. (There's also potential safety and hygienic issues, but that can be overcome by using tamper-proof dispensers with sanitary dispensing mechanism.) Does anyone know of any deluxe hotels that have succeeded in converting to bulk dispensers instead of small dispensable bottles?

Its probably just me but this is a real first world topic and funny in an saturday night live way

Like you I just cannot believe what I am reading on here!!! How are you both.... 'Clueless' I hope :D

The on board shop sells shampoo and conditioner if anyone is desperate.

IMaybe we wouldn't make such a big deal about this if Seabourn didn't. Like many things on the new Encore, it is a commodity product with a luxury label stuck on. Maybe hoping we won't notice. I wouldn't go so far as to call ahead to get my preferred brands stocked, but I was glad that for our recent Sydney-Singapore I had packed a travel kit of Bumble & Bumble, and some Appelles product picked up on our travels through Australia.

Not sure why posters feel the need to belittle other posters just because the issue under discussion isn't something they care about. If a thread topic holds no interest, surely just scroll past that thread.

Women into luxury cruising are often into luxury hair products, and those of us with finicky tresses, or skin sensitivities, are often fussy about what we use, especially on longer trips. It's less annoying getting old if at least your hair looks good :) I typically use whatever the line has, whereas DH is so picky that he always brings his own, special-ordered from some boutique place off the internet he's used for years, with great anxiety being created if the product is not stocked and readily available pre-cruise.

Even though I remember my mother told me that when she lived during the war in eastern Europe people were happy to get any kind of soap, or even warm water (depending on the bombing, captivity, or siege situation) so it helps me keep things in perspective, though of course it is no longer 1945 :) Luxury hotels and ships should and do offer luxury toiletries as one of their perks.

Have to agree this is very much a first world problem. If, like me, you are not allergic or sensitive to any products, the Molton Brown are fine - though not as nice as Aqua di Parma or Bulgari - but I agree the shampoo is poor, and would advise anyone to bring their own shampoo and conditioner with them, in as small a container as will last through your cruise.

• 2 months later...

Yes they still have wonderful Molton Brown on the ships...they now have created a special blend only available at Seabourn. I loved the scent and the quality of the products. They tubes are practical with a flip cap. Truly modern luxury products, not some stuffy old brand like Bvlgari or Hermes. I love that there is a separate scent for the body care and one for hair care.

Shame you can only get it on the ship! I kept telling housekeeping to bring more...then they told us i can buy big bottles on the ship...and we did!! Love it....

Any one on board the Sojourn recently-- do they still have the "old" Molton Brown toiletries (esp shampoo/conditioner) or just the "new" custom Seabourn scents? If only the new products, how are they? Thanks!

We were on Quest a few weeks back - our stewardess readily found us a selection of soaps, including Occitane. Try asking and there may be alternative shampoos tooclear.png?emoji-smile-1742

It seems to be a Seabourn 'tradition' - when you meet your stewardess on the first afternoon she appears with glasses of champagne, a couple of smoked salmon canapes, and three bars of good soaps, of which the Occitane is, to my mind, the nicest. You can take a couple of them, and either use them on board or take home for a nice reminder of your cruise. Otherwise, the soaps etc. are the new Molton Brown ones, now in a much easier to use tube than the old ones. And during the cruise she will also leave some different gels for you to try.

It seems to be a Seabourn 'tradition' - when you meet your stewardess on the first afternoon she appears with glasses of champagne, a couple of smoked salmon canapes, and three bars of good soaps, of which the Occitane is, to my mind, the nicest. You can take a couple of them, and either use them on board or take home for a nice reminder of your cruise. Otherwise, the soaps etc. are the new Molton Brown ones, now in a much easier to use tube than the old ones. And during the cruise she will also leave some different gels for you to try.

The Occitaine is nice, so is the "sea loofah" soap: http://baudelairesoaps.com/bath-soap-sea-loofa-5oz/